Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Beenie
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
43 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2013 :  08:27:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello all! I spoke to a few people on here before and kinda agreed on jumping in to getting a brb .... Well that hasn't happened yet! I decided driving lessons are a must and put snakes to the back of my mind about 5 days ago.
2 days ago however, a week colleague approached me and asked if i could rehome a corn he has been looking after as the owner is now at uni. Obviously i jumped at the chance! I don't know much about the snake other than he's about 6 years old and about 5 food. Eats 2 pinkies a week and shed (im not sure if that's enough food and they haven't been keeping a log of sheds so may need help there). Apparently a very friendly snake and a good looking one. (will upload pics as soon as he's here) and im not sure they know for certain what sex he is.
So! How much have i chucked myself in the deep end?

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2013 :  08:32:03  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Pinkies are too small a feed for a snake that big. I feed snakes that size/age 1x large mouse a fortnight. Keeping sheds isnt important, however ensuring the eyecaps and tail tip are off of the snake after shed is, as is making sure any retained shed on the snake is removed with a tamp towel/pillowcase.

What is the set up like?

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

Beenie
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
43 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2013 :  09:20:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi mamma thanks for the reply. Im not 100% on the set up so have invested a large Rub just in case. What i intend to do is weigh and take pictures when i get him and report back and get advice if that's ok?
Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2013 :  09:21:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm really hoping that the 'pinkies' was just a misunderstanding and hopefully the owner meant mediums or something - not sure an adult could possibly have reached 5 feet on that diet, and I wouldn't have thought it would be friendly as it would be starving!!! I would have thought a large mouse every 10-14 days would be about right as Mamma said. Good luck though, glad you are getting your much-wanted snake after all and if it turns out he is on pinkies, he'll be a lot happier moving to a more sensible diet with you!

Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2013 :  09:23:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
cross-posted - we LOVE pics on here, so please do post some when you get him, it's by far the easiest way to give advice on his size etc as well!!

Go to Top of Page

Beenie
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
43 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2013 :  09:32:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im very excited and nervous because i always assumed id learn with the snake growing haha! This is a challenge but its going to be amazing. Will be on some time tomorrow. And thanks for your replies!
Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2013 :  09:45:49  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ok cool if they have it in a viv, and it goes into a rub, and you feel you are having problems with it (not saying you will but sometimes it can happen) then it may prefer a viv. I only say this as I rehomed my MBK with another forum member on here, she went from a 4 foot viv to a 32L rub for a week until she went through to him.. she never once tagged me in all the time I had her until then. She remained in that rub with the new owner for a couple of weeks until he got her the bext size up (70L i *think*). In the time she was in the smaller rub she struck for him too... now she sin the bigger one, shes back to being a puppy dog lol.

Try carrying something around on you for 24 hrs in your pocket like a sock or hanky, and pop it in the rub before he/she comes. He/she should hopefully associate the safeness of his rub with your scent. This should help settle more.

I would try and find out as much as you can about him. Eating/shedding/pooping, any concerns. Also find out how they feed too... in his/her enclosure or rub feeding. Any specific ways it likes to be fed. Chances are a snake that age, if its used to feeding alone, in the dark, for example, you should continue to do so. Any changes in the way it feeds may unsettle it too.

Looking forward to pics

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2013 :  11:05:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know it may feel as though you've chucked yourself in at the deep end Sophie....but how could you say no !!! I'm glad you're able to help your colleague out and, more importantly, help this snake out.

I'm in total agreement with what the others have said about him eating pinkies, I don't see how he can have survived and grown to such a size on them alone. He's almost the exact age and size as my Asher and he's on 1 large weekly, soon to be moved to every 10 days. But you can ascertain better what the situation is when you collect him. As Mamma said, try to get as much info on his history and how things are done as you can. I'm guessing from the fact that there isn't any records on him shedding that you won't get much past info, but it's the present info that's important.

I'm sure you've done all the research you need to on here to be prepared for him.....although that first week of no handling is going to be so frustrating for you!! I know you said you were hoping to learn as the snake grows, but there are benefits to having an older snake. I got all of mine as juveniles/adults and think it was a good way to learn about corns.....with a snake that was used to being handled, fed properly and who I knew did everything he was supposed to. I do regret that I never did the hatchling thing, although I think I'd be terrified trying to hold a 'boot-lace' that just wanted to escape . That is something you can do when you get your next corn....because this won't be the last .

Keep asking for advice, the only silly question is the one you don't ask! We're all here to help and support....and love doing it .

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

Beenie
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
43 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2013 :  10:00:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning all! He is about 4 foot and on two small mice a week.
Hopefully these links work for pics so any help or info would be ace! He's very placid looking!

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2013 :  10:31:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He is gorgeous Sophie !! And looks as though he's pretty healthy, as much as you can tell from pics.

Has he only got the one hide ?? And obviously you need to replace that dial thermometer with a digital one....it's not even in the right place!!

I'm so glad he's on small mice instead of pinkies, I didn't think that could be right. The best thing to do is leave him for the week to settle in and get over the stress of the move, no handling or feeding, just changing his water and fiddling with his substrate so that he gets used to your smell. Then feed him his 2 small mice. Before you do that it would be a good idea to weigh him, so you have a record. Once he's eaten you can tell whether he needs to move up by whether you can see a 'bump' or not, which I suspect he will. But all in good time. What's important now is that he's with you and settling in .

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

Beenie
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
43 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2013 :  10:33:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Born 12 December 2007
Go to Top of Page

Beenie
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
43 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2013 :  10:35:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah such good news. Yes he's been well loved before. I have a bulb cover and a new thermometer on the way ;) my work colleague keeps insisting to pay for anything i need foe the tank

There are two smaller hides but they look too small for him
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2013 :  10:38:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beenie

Born 12 December 2007

For a comparison....and you know that all snakes are different, so I'm only doing this so you can judge about his feeding....Asher was born approx April 2008, so is slightly younger than him. He's on 1 large mouse a week.

Have you got a name for him yet?

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

Beenie
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
43 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2013 :  10:40:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
His name is nipper and im not sure if we will change it lol seems a funny name for a snake that's never bitten before haha!
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2013 :  10:45:06  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
He's a beautiful snake and really isn't too skinny at all.
I'm sure once he's settled in and you've got him on the right size food he'll be a darling.
You won't regret taking on an older snake in need!

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2013 :  10:52:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beenie

His name is nipper and im not sure if we will change it lol seems a funny name for a snake that's never bitten before haha!

Interesting name....maybe he wasn't quite so well behaved when he was little . Kellog was Kellog when we got him and, as my first corn snake, I didn't change his name. I can't even remember what Silvi's name was, but I know I didn't like it ! So she was named Silvesta (Silver Star put together) and then changed to Silvi when we discovered she was a she. Asher was nameless and a friend named him for me. I'll be interested to see whether you do keep his name.

quote:
Originally posted by herriotfan

........You won't regret taking on an older snake in need!

I totally agree with you Herriotfan . As I've said, all of mine were older and in need....and if I had to do it all again I wouldn't have done anything differently.

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

Beenie
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
43 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2013 :  10:55:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apparently he was quite a quick little thing so maybe nipper as in nippy/quick? i may see how his personality is before making up my mind :)
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2013 :  11:00:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's probably why, if he was nippy/fast. It's a good idea, to wait and see what name you feel suits him as you get to know him. There's no rush .

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2013 :  16:39:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aww he looks great! If he's been on 2 smalls a week then I'm sure he could easily be moved to 1 large as mediums really aren't that much bigger than smalls :)

Go to Top of Page

lupi lou
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3670 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2013 :  17:23:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He's a lovely looking snake

1.0.1 Corns
0.1.0 Dog: springer
1.0.0 Horse
0.4.0 Gerbils
2.2.0 Leopard gecko
0.2.0 Cave gecko
Go to Top of Page

Razee
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2525 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2013 :  17:53:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He looks lovely, and in nice condition, too. I think you'll be glad you've taken him on.

0.1.0 late CB10 Carolina corn snake - Bazilishka
1.0.0 CB11 Abbots Okeetee- Little Twiddler
1.0.0 CB11 Hypo corn- Sebastianek
1.0.0. CB14 Butter Motley - Squidwood
0.0.2 CB18 normal/ Okeetee yearlings Bunny and Lalalishka
0.0.1 hognose
0.1.0 stable cat
0.1.0 house cat
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic