The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 equipment brand's advice

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
harry Cornelius Posted - 04/01/2013 : 12:21:00
I'll be going to look for some mats & stats today, so is there any recommendations on brands to look for aswell as avoid ??
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
ozziesmum Posted - 04/02/2013 : 22:24:56
Carbon cloth heat mat and Habistat stats for all 4 of mine with 2 x Exo Terra digi thermometers per viv and a infra red thermometer.
harry Cornelius Posted - 04/02/2013 : 20:50:27
quote:
Originally posted by ScalySituation

I cant see the pic of the printed mat...

this is a printed mats
ScalySituation Posted - 04/02/2013 : 20:13:53
I cant see the pic of the printed mat...
Red123 Posted - 06/01/2013 : 16:23:43
I prefer habistat stats or Gekozone Digital thermostat (similar to lucky reptile but more accurate in my experience). And habistat mats as well.
a33272 Posted - 06/01/2013 : 14:15:03
quote:
Originally posted by harry Cornelius

Thanks for putting up some pics, it's helped to clear up my confusion lol

There are other types that allegidly have build in thermostats and dont need external control. Stay clear of them as there preset one of which is preset to 45oc......
harry Cornelius Posted - 06/01/2013 : 13:15:39
Thanks for putting up some pics, it's helped to clear up my confusion lol
rockroyal Posted - 06/01/2013 : 11:08:54
habistat they work within 1c diffrents
a33272 Posted - 06/01/2013 : 10:51:44
For those wondering what mats are being talked about here.

This is a carbon cloth type

And this is printed carbon ink

paulie78 Posted - 05/01/2013 : 15:36:07
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

I can't find the article, but basically the stripy mats are screen printed carbon ink made into tracks to keep production costs down. If theres inconsistency in the thickness of the ink to the point of it being too thin or a tiny crack in the track then it can increase electrical resistance resulting in hot spots or worst case scenario melting the plastic and a potential fire risk.

EEK thats worrying i only use the one brand and size of ultratherm mats all of which bar one are the same design laminted black sheets but one is stripey and sounds just like your description above im considering replacing it now thanks for the info
viraleye Posted - 05/01/2013 : 14:23:42
I started off on microclimate but I didn't like the large temperature fluctuations.
Now I have Habistat I wouldn't go back! I use a pulse stat and there is only a couple of degrees fluctuation
eeji Posted - 05/01/2013 : 13:50:52
I can't find the article, but basically the stripy mats are screen printed carbon ink made into tracks to keep production costs down. If theres inconsistency in the thickness of the ink to the point of it being too thin or a tiny crack in the track then it can increase electrical resistance resulting in hot spots or worst case scenario melting the plastic and a potential fire risk.
eeji Posted - 05/01/2013 : 13:40:10
carbon cloth mats are the ones that are all black and not got the printed black lines. They are a lot more reliable and less of a fire risk - There is an article/forum post floating around somewhere that I read a while back, I'll try to find a link
Georgina Posted - 05/01/2013 : 13:33:11
I also second eeji on the microclimate pulse I managed to pick one up with magic eye (not by choice) of eBay for £23 second hand. Works a treat on a ceramic in an open space keeps it with in a degree :)
Ness Posted - 05/01/2013 : 11:39:32
I've got 1 microclimate, 2 habistats, habistats definitely have less variation in temps.
paulie78 Posted - 05/01/2013 : 10:03:25
Habistat gets my vote too and i use the ultratherm mats as i find with those my habistats work almost as consistently as my pulse stats lol but im intrigued to know what eeji means by carbon cloth matts what are those ?
a33272 Posted - 05/01/2013 : 07:29:20
quote:
Originally posted by nickyff

quote:
Originally posted by Hissyfit

Be careful when buying a heat mat, some come with a sticky backing to fit under a glass viv and are not safe to use inside a wooden viv.

is this just a warning about not to use sticky things in a viv? or is there something diffetrent about these mats? i bought a mat a while back, had to go to a shop as needed it quicker than waiting for a delivery, and discovered when i got home it said something on about being for a glass viv. it has paper on the bottom which is meant tobe peeled off to use the sticky stuff. ive just not peeled the paper, and used it as a normal mat inside a wooden viv.

whats the difference? other than the sticky layer im not using, it looks identical to my other mats- ive now got about 4 different brands and theyre all pretty much of a muchness, as far as i can tell. is there something im missing?

should i be worrying? / whipping it out and replacing it?

(it's a while since i had a good worry)

Sounds like you have an exoterra desert heat mat. Iirc they come with plastic feed you also have to mount to bottom of glass tank as that mat needs an air gap under it.

My main concentration would be if the brown paper started to peel off exposing the sticky layer.
nickyff Posted - 05/01/2013 : 04:50:02
quote:
Originally posted by Hissyfit

Be careful when buying a heat mat, some come with a sticky backing to fit under a glass viv and are not safe to use inside a wooden viv.

is this just a warning about not to use sticky things in a viv? or is there something diffetrent about these mats? i bought a mat a while back, had to go to a shop as needed it quicker than waiting for a delivery, and discovered when i got home it said something on about being for a glass viv. it has paper on the bottom which is meant tobe peeled off to use the sticky stuff. ive just not peeled the paper, and used it as a normal mat inside a wooden viv.

whats the difference? other than the sticky layer im not using, it looks identical to my other mats- ive now got about 4 different brands and theyre all pretty much of a muchness, as far as i can tell. is there something im missing?

should i be worrying? / whipping it out and replacing it?

(it's a while since i had a good worry)
eeji Posted - 04/01/2013 : 20:09:09
microclimate pulse stats for me, and any brand of mat that is proper carbon cloth and not printed traces.
serena_08 Posted - 04/01/2013 : 19:36:51
I use 3 habistat mat stats and 1 microclimate mat stat, habistat performs much better!
I have a ProRep heat mat for the L. Gecko, and a couple off eBay from China for the others! The Chinese ones work very well and have their own thermostat built in (I still use stats to be safe)
Donnie Posted - 04/01/2013 : 17:48:18
And me (habistat user that is)

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000