Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

harry Cornelius
Hatchling

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2013 :  12:21:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll be going to look for some mats & stats today, so is there any recommendations on brands to look for aswell as avoid ??

1.0.0 Carolina - Harry Cornelius
1.0.0 Irian Jaya jaguar carpet python- Monty
0.1.0 cat - Bella
0.0.1 fish - Justin beiber

Georgina
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2382 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2013 :  12:41:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unless you re going to surrey es I would order offline as normal mat stat go for anything up to 59 squid in shops but are 20 online x I vote habistat for stat. Mats I have no preference x

1.0 western hognose (hero)
1.0 phantom reverse pin dal brindle crested gecko (goyle)
0.2 red dal red harly (sprite) 99% full pin Harley crested gecko (TuLong)
0.0.3 miomantis paykullii
0.0.3 Bombina orientalis (oriental fire bellied toad)
0.3 fancy mice (snap, crackle and pop)
1.0 yorkshire terrier (jasper)
2.1 cats (echo, shadow and pokey)
Go to Top of Page

kev 5
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3065 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2013 :  12:59:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
would have to go with habistat stats too

Go to Top of Page

Hissyfit
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2214 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2013 :  14:15:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Habistat for thermostats. The cheapest place I've found them is on ebay. Be careful when buying a heat mat, some come with a sticky backing to fit under a glass viv and are not safe to use inside a wooden viv.
For digital thermometers I'd go with Exo Terra every time. You can get cheap ones for a few quid, but they are not very accurate and the temperature range can vary by quite a bit compared to the Exo Terra ones.

Edited by - Hissyfit on 04/01/2013 14:17:58
Go to Top of Page

Moppet
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3315 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2013 :  16:18:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another vote for habistat thermostats from me I got my last two from amazon for a reasonable price.

And a second vote for exo terra digital thermometers I have four of them (three hatchlings are currently in RUBS sitting on three edges of a large mat on one stat with one thermometer) and will be buying two more soon.

2.4.0 Corn snakes
1.0.0 horse
0.1.0 Golden retriever
1.4.0 Guinea pigs
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2013 :  17:21:18  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yet another Habistat user here.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

coxymk2
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1245 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2013 :  17:30:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And another here

0.0.1 ANERY (Liquorice)
0.0.1 CAROLINA (Bangle)
0.0.1 AMEL (Boozer)
Go to Top of Page

Donnie
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3215 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2013 :  17:48:18  Show Profile  Click to see Donnie's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
And me (habistat user that is)

1.1 Corns (Anery Stripe, Amel) 1.0 Rootbeer 0.2 Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 Zebra Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 50% Diamond Zebra Carpet Python
Go to Top of Page

serena_08
Yearling

United Kingdom
784 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2013 :  19:36:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use 3 habistat mat stats and 1 microclimate mat stat, habistat performs much better!
I have a ProRep heat mat for the L. Gecko, and a couple off eBay from China for the others! The Chinese ones work very well and have their own thermostat built in (I still use stats to be safe)

1.0.0 Corn: D-Bo (Amel)
1.0.0 Western Hognose: C*ntyB*ll*cks
0.1.0 MBK: Rosa
0.0.1 Leopard Gecko: Zuko
0.0.1 Bearded Dragon: Kobe
0.0.1 Fire Bellied Toad: Snoop
1.1.0 Cats: Penny and Sheldon
1.0.0 Staffy: MooMoo

I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2013 :  20:09:09  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
microclimate pulse stats for me, and any brand of mat that is proper carbon cloth and not printed traces.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

nickyff
Yearling

507 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2013 :  04:50:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hissyfit

Be careful when buying a heat mat, some come with a sticky backing to fit under a glass viv and are not safe to use inside a wooden viv.

is this just a warning about not to use sticky things in a viv? or is there something diffetrent about these mats? i bought a mat a while back, had to go to a shop as needed it quicker than waiting for a delivery, and discovered when i got home it said something on about being for a glass viv. it has paper on the bottom which is meant tobe peeled off to use the sticky stuff. ive just not peeled the paper, and used it as a normal mat inside a wooden viv.

whats the difference? other than the sticky layer im not using, it looks identical to my other mats- ive now got about 4 different brands and theyre all pretty much of a muchness, as far as i can tell. is there something im missing?

should i be worrying? / whipping it out and replacing it?

(it's a while since i had a good worry)

and you thought there was no such thing as a stupid question....

1.2.0 corns: captain haddock, sharon the tiddler and Darling Debbie. plus 0.2.0 cali kings: spot and Numpty... not forgetting the delightful Miss Lovely-Gonzalez-La-Poop apricot pueblan milk snake, and we all miss the Lodger who thought he was a cobra....
Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2013 :  07:29:20  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nickyff

quote:
Originally posted by Hissyfit

Be careful when buying a heat mat, some come with a sticky backing to fit under a glass viv and are not safe to use inside a wooden viv.

is this just a warning about not to use sticky things in a viv? or is there something diffetrent about these mats? i bought a mat a while back, had to go to a shop as needed it quicker than waiting for a delivery, and discovered when i got home it said something on about being for a glass viv. it has paper on the bottom which is meant tobe peeled off to use the sticky stuff. ive just not peeled the paper, and used it as a normal mat inside a wooden viv.

whats the difference? other than the sticky layer im not using, it looks identical to my other mats- ive now got about 4 different brands and theyre all pretty much of a muchness, as far as i can tell. is there something im missing?

should i be worrying? / whipping it out and replacing it?

(it's a while since i had a good worry)

Sounds like you have an exoterra desert heat mat. Iirc they come with plastic feed you also have to mount to bottom of glass tank as that mat needs an air gap under it.

My main concentration would be if the brown paper started to peel off exposing the sticky layer.

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2013 :  10:03:25  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Habistat gets my vote too and i use the ultratherm mats as i find with those my habistats work almost as consistently as my pulse stats lol but im intrigued to know what eeji means by carbon cloth matts what are those ?

6.8.0 Corn Snakes http://buzzsprehistoricpets.yolasite.com/
1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

Ness
Hatchling

United Kingdom
159 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2013 :  11:39:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've got 1 microclimate, 2 habistats, habistats definitely have less variation in temps.

0.1.0 Ultramel corn - Tanith
0.1.0 Pomeranian -Eevee
0.2.0 cats -Sabrina and Lily
Go to Top of Page

Georgina
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2382 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2013 :  13:33:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also second eeji on the microclimate pulse I managed to pick one up with magic eye (not by choice) of eBay for £23 second hand. Works a treat on a ceramic in an open space keeps it with in a degree :)

1.0 western hognose (hero)
1.0 phantom reverse pin dal brindle crested gecko (goyle)
0.2 red dal red harly (sprite) 99% full pin Harley crested gecko (TuLong)
0.0.3 miomantis paykullii
0.0.3 Bombina orientalis (oriental fire bellied toad)
0.3 fancy mice (snap, crackle and pop)
1.0 yorkshire terrier (jasper)
2.1 cats (echo, shadow and pokey)
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2013 :  13:40:10  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
carbon cloth mats are the ones that are all black and not got the printed black lines. They are a lot more reliable and less of a fire risk - There is an article/forum post floating around somewhere that I read a while back, I'll try to find a link

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2013 :  13:50:52  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I can't find the article, but basically the stripy mats are screen printed carbon ink made into tracks to keep production costs down. If theres inconsistency in the thickness of the ink to the point of it being too thin or a tiny crack in the track then it can increase electrical resistance resulting in hot spots or worst case scenario melting the plastic and a potential fire risk.

Go to Top of Page

viraleye
Yearling

United Kingdom
695 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2013 :  14:23:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I started off on microclimate but I didn't like the large temperature fluctuations.
Now I have Habistat I wouldn't go back! I use a pulse stat and there is only a couple of degrees fluctuation

1.0.0 Cyrus - Amel het Anery ph Hypo - CURRENTLY AWOL
0.1.0 Diamond - Avalanche ph Charcoal, Hypo
1.0.0 Garland - Bloodred het Hypo
1.0.0 Pinball - Carolina
0.1.0 Casey - Hypo Lavender Stripe het Amel
0.0.1 - No Name Yet - Crested Gecko
Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2013 :  15:36:07  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

I can't find the article, but basically the stripy mats are screen printed carbon ink made into tracks to keep production costs down. If theres inconsistency in the thickness of the ink to the point of it being too thin or a tiny crack in the track then it can increase electrical resistance resulting in hot spots or worst case scenario melting the plastic and a potential fire risk.

EEK thats worrying i only use the one brand and size of ultratherm mats all of which bar one are the same design laminted black sheets but one is stripey and sounds just like your description above im considering replacing it now thanks for the info

6.8.0 Corn Snakes http://buzzsprehistoricpets.yolasite.com/
1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2013 :  10:51:44  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
For those wondering what mats are being talked about here.

This is a carbon cloth type

And this is printed carbon ink

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

rockroyal
Hatchling

United Kingdom
235 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2013 :  11:08:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
habistat they work within 1c diffrents