The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Decorating fumes

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Red123 Posted - 11/12/2012 : 14:02:31
Next year I plan to decorate the lounge. All the reps bar two live in the lounge. So, I thought I could put them all in RUBS and move them upstairs, it will be summer time so won't worry about heating and won't feed them while they are there. Want I want to know is how long will it be before I can safely move them back to the vivs in the lounge?
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
lotabob Posted - 13/12/2012 : 13:16:30
I was the same I was using some pretty fume ridden paints and varnishes on the vivarium stack, I was high as a kite painting it but I just stuck the snakes in another room and aired the room until the smell went away (3 days) and left it a whole week to ensure everything was dry and fume free. A bit of decorating won't do any harm with the snakes out of the immediate vicinity.
a33272 Posted - 13/12/2012 : 01:25:26
Never had a problem decorating. Just do it in the summer when u can leave windows open so plenty of fresh air coming in.
Hissyfit Posted - 12/12/2012 : 10:58:06
I decorated my daughter's room during the Summer. The 3 snakes are in her room, OH is scared of snakes, so moving them into our room was out of the question. I bought breath easy paint by Dulux, and gloss that claimed to be fast drying & odourless...it was amazing, touch dry within the hour and no smell at all. Never had a problem with fumes, and the snakes were fine
Thorne Walker Posted - 12/12/2012 : 00:01:28
quote:
Originally posted by Red123

So this would be ok http://www.celticsustainables.co.uk/shop/contents/en-uk/p209_Earthborn_ECOPRO_Emulsion.html

hits all the high points.. looks good

Red123 Posted - 11/12/2012 : 21:22:21
So this would be ok http://www.celticsustainables.co.uk/shop/contents/en-uk/p209_Earthborn_ECOPRO_Emulsion.html
oakleyman18 Posted - 11/12/2012 : 19:40:59
I'm with thorney on this one, only go through approved sources. Things like car paints, acrylic sprays and of course anything with any CFCs in is a definite no. Don't take the risk- if you can smell it, they definitely can, and their respiratory systems are more sensitive.
Thorne Walker Posted - 11/12/2012 : 18:25:07
Actually most paints have a ton of volatile organic compounds and will off gas for weeks/months/years.

You can find 'Low VOC' paint if you go looking for it, I use a local company called Boomerang.

http://www.epa.gov/iaq/voc.html

http://www.diyadvice.com/diy/painting/paint/chemistry/

Figure minimum 48 hrs depending on temperature and ventalation...

The pressed wood used for viv's often is also a potent source of things like formaldehyde so snakey is getting it anyway, you just want to keep it below a threshold.
Moppet Posted - 11/12/2012 : 17:08:33
I'm very paranoid so personally I would leave them until you can't smell the fumes anymore, but at least 48hours. Although jayclk is probably right and most paints probably aren't very harmful anymore, I would still be concerned that they may be harmful to reptiles.
Jayclk Posted - 11/12/2012 : 14:13:08
i would of thought that most of the modern paints and solvents are pretty safe nowadays as they dont have fumes for very long at all

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000