The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 p@h mice

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Elicia Posted - 08/07/2012 : 17:37:07
Anyone bought mice from here before?

Our local store has just started selling them, and as my usual rep store is a good 30 mins drive away I though I would see what theirs were like. I went in and looked in the freezer but couldnt see any so I asked an assistant if they had any frozen mice, she looked really furtive and said "yeah we keep them in the back though" ha ha

I was really pleased with the mice as they come individually sealed in little packets! So its like its only little defrosting bag!

Even though they cost more than the reptile shop (pinks were 4 for 1.40 and small mice were 4 for 2 quid) im saving on fuel as pets at home is only 5 mins from my house.

20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
a2c7 Posted - 10/07/2012 : 07:04:02
We pick the easy to swallow ones first, especially on a move up in food size, and then start to remove the limbs that stick out. Ara appreciates it, he's awful at getting the legs down - doing his little sideways shuffle!
Elicia Posted - 09/07/2012 : 23:37:21

[/quote]

Ok now im starting to think im the only person who goes through their bags at home trying to find the straightest mice with tucked in legs so the snakes dont struggle to get them down haha course this means when stocks get low im stuck with loads of mishaped mice with sticky outty legs lmao i dont like the lil plastic bodybags in pets at home though i like to see what im buying now as ive twice bought manky mice from p @ h so i wont use them anymore
[/quote]

Ok am I the only freak that erm removes all the sticky out limbs?? I go through them usually and get out all the ones that look like they died mid dance and 'straighten them up' lol
paulie78 Posted - 09/07/2012 : 20:03:15
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

quote:
Originally posted by ScalySituation

I disagree with the individual bags as i like to see what i am buying

lol, theres nowt like rummaging around in a tub full of frozen mice is there :D

Ok now im starting to think im the only person who goes through their bags at home trying to find the straightest mice with tucked in legs so the snakes dont struggle to get them down haha course this means when stocks get low im stuck with loads of mishaped mice with sticky outty legs lmao i dont like the lil plastic bodybags in pets at home though i like to see what im buying now as ive twice bought manky mice from p @ h so i wont use them anymore
ScalySituation Posted - 09/07/2012 : 18:56:44
lol i just got a bag :P
eeji Posted - 09/07/2012 : 18:55:41
quote:
Originally posted by ScalySituation

lol, theres nowt like rummaging around in a tub full of frozen mice is there :D
Hanxa Posted - 09/07/2012 : 18:25:52
I used to buy from P@H but found they varied too much in size of a line of fuzzies. Also, they were a little on the pricey side. So now I take the longer trek to JC Exotics and buy them there. I like being able to see the mice I'm buying before I buy them, and also get similar sizes. Plus, the mice are cheaper and are never in the freezer there for too long
Jmodjamodj Posted - 09/07/2012 : 14:41:51
Hi, I also use P@H as bought our corn (Frank) from there and have not been anywhere else to find pinkies yet. Although from reading all the replies it seems most people are very pleased with them so I will stick to them. I am so amazed at how much I love Frank, my Autistic son was desperate for a pet snake, I was not sure, and we now have had him 4 weeks and it is like he has always been with us. My son loves him, takes him out always and feeds him, he is 7. It really is so pleasurable.
paulie78 Posted - 09/07/2012 : 12:47:48
all of the online mice ive purchased have been of around eqaul size plus anything bought from private breeders is around the same if slightly larger its only the p and h stuff that is small by comparison however if p and h is your only source of mice ud know no different anyway i guess
a33272 Posted - 09/07/2012 : 12:37:42
quote:
Originally posted by paulie78

quote:
Originally posted by a33272

quote:
Originally posted by Georgina

I bought some fluffs from there the other day, and instead of young fuzzy mice I got little fully haired mice.

Don't forget size classification doesn't go on physical size or appearance its all done by weight. It could of been within the suppliers classification for a fuzzy but at the top end of the scale where small or hopper starts.

Shops always get blamed for supplying odd sizes when in reality its down to what they have been supplied.

Yes i agree this is a problem theres no universal scale for what makes what size some people base it on age of mice some weight and some just gauge a rough size lol but the "small mice" i bought from pets at home were the size of "fuzzies" from all of my regular suppliers lol

All the online suppliers do it by weight, the problem is as you say no specific industry standard, so one may class a fuzzy as 2-6 g but another may be 2-8. So all of it is down to differant suppliers. One well known site don't even list the weight range they just give you the average weight!!
paulie78 Posted - 09/07/2012 : 12:03:19
quote:
Originally posted by a33272

quote:

I bought some fluffs from there the other day, and instead of young fuzzy mice I got little fully haired mice.

Don't forget size classification doesn't go on physical size or appearance its all done by weight. It could of been within the suppliers classification for a fuzzy but at the top end of the scale where small or hopper starts.

Shops always get blamed for supplying odd sizes when in reality its down to what they have been supplied.

Yes i agree this is a problem theres no universal scale for what makes what size some people base it on age of mice some weight and some just gauge a rough size lol but the "small mice" i bought from pets at home were the size of "fuzzies" from all of my regular suppliers lol
a33272 Posted - 09/07/2012 : 11:47:28
quote:

ScalySituation Posted - 09/07/2012 : 11:02:01
Georgina Posted - 09/07/2012 : 11:00:29
paulie78 Posted - 09/07/2012 : 10:53:07
Have bought from pets at home when ive had too but my problem is theyre sizes are just soooo small ugh
Dancross0 Posted - 08/07/2012 : 22:01:25
I've bought mice from P@H before and they were a little small, which was fine when my girls were little 9 gram shoelaces. I also liked the fact they were in 'bodybags'...

But a work near, or drive past, several reptile shops, so I buy from them to support their trade, and have a poke about the livestock...
Corrah Posted - 08/07/2012 : 20:42:26
I buy from P@H as they are cheaper than my local rep stores too and I do like the fact they are individually packed.

Haven't had any complaints from the snakes, although Millie seems to be on hunger strike just now!

C x

Edited for shocking grammar - again! Must be the wine!
ScalySituation Posted - 08/07/2012 : 20:38:37
my local pah is cheaper than my local pet shop but the mice are seriously diddy. much prefer getting them from pet planet ;)
serena_08 Posted - 08/07/2012 : 20:37:46
I buy mice and rats from p@h, I like the fact they are individually packed (stops creeping people out lol) and quality is good :)
Moppet Posted - 08/07/2012 : 20:09:44
I buy all my mice from P@H. A little more expensive than some other places but they seem okay quality. Some of them that have been in the freezer in store a long time can be a tiny bit freezer burned, or with legs that fall off when you defrost them (pinks and fuzzies) but most are fine. They do vary in size a lot but that was useful for going up to fuzzies because I could get some really little ones then build up gradually. I tend to request 'small' fuzzies because the big ones are a little large for Apollo still. In a few months time maybe I'll be needing 'big' ones.

Apollo seems to like them :) When I have more snakes I may consider buying from online but until then P@H are quite good.
Georgina Posted - 08/07/2012 : 19:11:05
my p@h sell both mice and rats. i tend to go to my local store so i can pick the sizes out myself as i find that p@h mice vary 5g or so between individual sizes :)

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000