The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Safe glue

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
a2c7 Posted - 12/04/2012 : 17:00:44
Hi Guys, I'm going to be setting up a wooden viv soon and I'm planning on using a lot of polystyrene.

I was wondering if there is any type of glue I should avoid? I'm guessing I'll get told to use the reptile sealant stuff but I've not come across it in the shops near me and was wondering if I could just pick up an alternative from a hardware store like B&Q or Homebase.

If people here think the only method to go with is the sealant I'll just have to order some and wait, but I'm not certain it'll stick polystyrene.

On a similar note: is there a recommended waterproof 'varnish' or top coat for polystyrene for snakes?
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
a2c7 Posted - 12/04/2012 : 19:26:37
Thanks for the comments - the polystyrene will be for modelling stuff like backdrops, raising parts of the floor. I'll be putting aspen around the warm hide but the rest will be astroturf and parts will be raised - bridges etc. I'll look into the DIY area for tips on the poly, I think most ppl use the insulation boards rather than bog standard poly, I guess if it's sealed in it may not matter as much.
paulie78 Posted - 12/04/2012 : 17:32:02
quote:
Originally posted by a2c7

Hi Guys, I'm going to be setting up a wooden viv soon and I'm planning on using a lot of polystyrene.

I was wondering if there is any type of glue I should avoid? I'm guessing I'll get told to use the reptile sealant stuff but I've not come across it in the shops near me and was wondering if I could just pick up an alternative from a hardware store like B&Q or Homebase.

If people here think the only method to go with is the sealant I'll just have to order some and wait, but I'm not certain it'll stick polystyrene.

You have to be carefull with polystyrene apprently theres several different types not all are reptile safe sorry i cant be more specific than that but i remember enquiring about scaping my viv with polystyrene and someone on here brought that to my attention

On a similar note: is there a recommended waterproof 'varnish' or top coat for polystyrene for snakes?

Georgina Posted - 12/04/2012 : 17:20:25
i use aquarium sealant, to seal corners and such, which you can get at most aquatic storese cheap)(normally quit or i got a big tube on ebay for 2.99. and for sticking things like plants and probes and mats down i use a hot glue gun, which you can get at b and q or the range x

i think but do not hold me to it you can use a Polyurethane varnish which again you can get from b and q or the range.

can i ask why you will be using so much polystyrene?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000