The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Striking

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Falice Posted - 31/01/2012 : 18:37:17
Trevor has started to strike at his food! yay. Not constricting yet just doing a lil strike, I was just wondering, at what age did everyones snakey start striking and constricting?
xx
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
lloyd david Posted - 02/02/2012 : 18:57:05
[quote]Originally posted by Falice

Trevor has started to strike at his food! yay. Not constricting yet just doing a lil strike, I was just wondering, at what age did everyones snakey start striking and constricting?
xx
my little eddie 3 month old likes to strike his food and it makes me jump every time ........i hope i get used to it
Blackcat Posted - 01/02/2012 : 14:25:26
Zeus strikes at his food, but Morse doesn't yet and think it will be some time yet before he does!
ShaneyyWithWiz Posted - 01/02/2012 : 13:53:56
Wiz did a strike first time I fed him but only started to constrict when he was moved onto fluffs. Most probably the texture.
Redshift Spec Posted - 31/01/2012 : 23:03:59
Frank Struck and constricted straight away, he stopped when going into blue but he had a little strike just after he shed. I'm looking forward to Saturday when I can try and get him to strike again :)
Dancross0 Posted - 31/01/2012 : 22:12:45
Aguna was the first of my hatchies to strike and constrict. She was striking at 2 months, and strike and constricting at 3 months.

Iara has always struck, but done her first constrict at her last feed (sat) at 6 months.

Sirae dosn't strike of constrict at all!

Aguna and Iara take their food from the tongs, but Sirae just backs away from it. I leave it on a piece of slate and have to leave the room for her to start eating...
nickyff Posted - 31/01/2012 : 22:06:29
Sharon was 4 months when we got her, and was already strike-feeding, even if I didn't 'dangle-dance' the pinky. It could be lying in the rub, completely still and she'd sneak up on it and grab it as if it was about to jump up and run off. Early this month (age 6mo) she started to coil aswell, and did that 3 times, which was fab to watch- really exciting, but now has inexplicably stopped. (though her post-shed supper tonight caused a bit of body-twitching and nearly-coil curls-
I don't think there's a rule to it-
and

Yayy Trevor!!
Georgina Posted - 31/01/2012 : 21:25:02
i dangle mine above them for a little while and let them follow it around the rub, then when they strike hold one to the mouse tail for a little bit and then they constrict, mine are yearlings and have both done it for the last two feeds xx
thistle Posted - 31/01/2012 : 19:41:02
Barnaby has always struck and constricted violently, he's been known to get completely carried away with his strike and end up halfway out of the feeding tub. Lol.

I got Bradley in October last year when he was a year old and very underweight (40g). At first he was pretty lethargic and took his food gently, but after a couple of feeds he got stronger and started to first strike and then strike and constrict. Now, less than 4mths after getting him, he weighs 146g!

Bailey is 7mths old and will now stalk the fuzzie as I move it around the tub and then grab it from the tongs.
adamasrc Posted - 31/01/2012 : 19:28:09
would it differ as to how they were fed? for example if you left a mouse in the rub its not likely to constrict. But if the mouse is just out of reach, its likely to strike, thats what molly does :)
tordyjo Posted - 31/01/2012 : 19:19:38
Lilly has always striked and coiled round her dinner, where as harry is very much more laid back and relaxed and just eats but the mouse has to be on the flat surface, as for crystal, she's just eaten for the 1st time in 10 weeks and just leisurely took it out the forceps, so all 3 are very different in their feeding
scottishbluebird Posted - 31/01/2012 : 19:14:24
Kellogs is 15 months, hasnt done it once
Falice Posted - 31/01/2012 : 18:50:50
wow it varies quite a lot then, I was just wondering... and getting excited that Trevor did his first strike hehe x
Mort13 Posted - 31/01/2012 : 18:45:35
It varies with each snake. I have a snake that started striking at 2 months old and has constricted since being 4 months old.
Another of mine has only ever does half hearted strikes and has only constricted once,he's 18 months old.
Some never do the whole constricting thing.
ScalySituation Posted - 31/01/2012 : 18:38:35
yay :) sonnys almost 8 mnts and not had a strike or constrict yet :(

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000