Striking
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Falice
Yearling

United Kingdom
757 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2012 :  18:37:17  Show Profile  Visit Falice's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Trevor has started to strike at his food! yay. Not constricting yet just doing a lil strike, I was just wondering, at what age did everyones snakey start striking and constricting?
xx

1.0.0 Royal Python (Sir Cuthbert)
1.0.0 Corn (Trevor)
1.0.0 C0ckatiel (Baldwin)
1.0.0 Jug - jack russel x pug (Keyser Soze)

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2012 :  18:38:35  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
yay :) sonnys almost 8 mnts and not had a strike or constrict yet :(

1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Sleep well Sonny, Mummy loves you xx
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2012 :  18:45:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It varies with each snake. I have a snake that started striking at 2 months old and has constricted since being 4 months old.
Another of mine has only ever does half hearted strikes and has only constricted once,he's 18 months old.
Some never do the whole constricting thing.

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

Falice
Yearling

United Kingdom
757 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2012 :  18:50:50  Show Profile  Visit Falice's Homepage  Reply with Quote
wow it varies quite a lot then, I was just wondering... and getting excited that Trevor did his first strike hehe x

1.0.0 Royal Python (Sir Cuthbert)
1.0.0 Corn (Trevor)
1.0.0 C0ckatiel (Baldwin)
1.0.0 Jug - jack russel x pug (Keyser Soze)
Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2012 :  19:14:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kellogs is 15 months, hasnt done it once

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

tordyjo
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2036 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2012 :  19:19:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lilly has always striked and coiled round her dinner, where as harry is very much more laid back and relaxed and just eats but the mouse has to be on the flat surface, as for crystal, she's just eaten for the 1st time in 10 weeks and just leisurely took it out the forceps, so all 3 are very different in their feeding

LillyCrystalHarry
1.2.0 corns, 1.1.0 cats tropical guppies who continually breed

Go to Top of Page

adamasrc
Hatchling

United Kingdom
255 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2012 :  19:28:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
would it differ as to how they were fed? for example if you left a mouse in the rub its not likely to constrict. But if the mouse is just out of reach, its likely to strike, thats what molly does :)

0.1.0 Buttercorn (Molly)
1.0.0 Royal (Duke)
http://www.youtube.com/user/ReptilesQuest?feature=mhee
You there! subscribe to me!
Go to Top of Page

thistle
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1757 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2012 :  19:41:02  Show Profile  Visit thistle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Barnaby has always struck and constricted violently, he's been known to get completely carried away with his strike and end up halfway out of the feeding tub. Lol.

I got Bradley in October last year when he was a year old and very underweight (40g). At first he was pretty lethargic and took his food gently, but after a couple of feeds he got stronger and started to first strike and then strike and constrict. Now, less than 4mths after getting him, he weighs 146g!

Bailey is 7mths old and will now stalk the fuzzie as I move it around the tub and then grab it from the tongs.

2.0.0 Dogs (westie Angus, shih tzu Archie)
0.5.0 African Pygmy Hedgehogs (Harriet, Amelia, Matilda, Jemima, Maisie) RIP Hector
0.4.0 Guinea Pigs (Isobel, Effy, Mrs Mack & Sheila)
1.0.0 Lutino C0ckatiel (Sammy)
3.0.0 Corn Snakes - CB10 Amel (Barnaby), CB11 Anery Lavender (Bailey), CB10 Caramel Motley (Bradley)
0.1.0 CB11 Western Hognose Snake (Maggie)
Go to Top of Page

Georgina
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2382 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2012 :  21:25:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i dangle mine above them for a little while and let them follow it around the rub, then when they strike hold one to the mouse tail for a little bit and then they constrict, mine are yearlings and have both done it for the last two feeds xx

1.0 western hognose (hero)
1.0 phantom reverse pin dal brindle crested gecko (goyle)
0.2 red dal red harly (sprite) 99% full pin Harley crested gecko (TuLong)
0.0.3 miomantis paykullii
0.0.3 Bombina orientalis (oriental fire bellied toad)
0.3 fancy mice (snap, crackle and pop)
1.0 yorkshire terrier (jasper)
2.1 cats (echo, shadow and pokey)
Go to Top of Page

nickyff
Yearling

507 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2012 :  22:06:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sharon was 4 months when we got her, and was already strike-feeding, even if I didn't 'dangle-dance' the pinky. It could be lying in the rub, completely still and she'd sneak up on it and grab it as if it was about to jump up and run off. Early this month (age 6mo) she started to coil aswell, and did that 3 times, which was fab to watch- really exciting, but now has inexplicably stopped. (though her post-shed supper tonight caused a bit of body-twitching and nearly-coil curls-
I don't think there's a rule to it-
and

Yayy Trevor!!

and you thought there was no such thing as a stupid question....

1.2.0 corns: captain haddock, sharon the tiddler and Darling Debbie. plus 0.2.0 cali kings: spot and Numpty... not forgetting the delightful Miss Lovely-Gonzalez-La-Poop apricot pueblan milk snake, and we all miss the Lodger who thought he was a cobra....
Go to Top of Page

Dancross0
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1315 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2012 :  22:12:45  Show Profile  Visit Dancross0's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aguna was the first of my hatchies to strike and constrict. She was striking at 2 months, and strike and constricting at 3 months.

Iara has always struck, but done her first constrict at her last feed (sat) at 6 months.

Sirae dosn't strike of constrict at all!

Aguna and Iara take their food from the tongs, but Sirae just backs away from it. I leave it on a piece of slate and have to leave the room for her to start eating...

Aguna CB11 Anery - Typhon CB12 Amber - Plissken CB08 Carolina - Iara CB11 Caramel

Indra CB12 Lavender (?) - Evren CB12 Carolina (?) - Ophis CB11 Hypo Lavender - Sirae CB11 Ghost Motley

Go to Top of Page

Redshift Spec
Hatchling

379 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2012 :  23:03:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank Struck and constricted straight away, he stopped when going into blue but he had a little strike just after he shed. I'm looking forward to Saturday when I can try and get him to strike again :)

Frank (Amel Corn 1.0)
Felicity (Flick) (Normal Het Albino BCI 0.1)
Jack (Sunglow BCI 1.0)
Maisie (Hypo het Albino BCI 0.1)
Silver (Snow Corn 0.1)
Go to Top of Page

ShaneyyWithWiz
Hatchling

United Kingdom
106 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2012 :  13:53:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wiz did a strike first time I fed him but only started to constrict when he was moved onto fluffs. Most probably the texture.

Go to Top of Page

Blackcat
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1235 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2012 :  14:25:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Zeus strikes at his food, but Morse doesn't yet and think it will be some time yet before he does!

0.0.2 Corn snakes - Morse & Zeus
1.1.0 Brazillian Rainbow Boa's - Indigo & Ruby
0.0.2 Columbian Rainbow Boa's - Orinoco & Tobago
1.0.0 House snake - Hoggle
0.1.0 Crested Gecko - Ludo
2.0.0 cats (RIP Zebee), 0.1.0 Dog, 2.0.0 Horses
Go to Top of Page

lloyd david
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
31 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2012 :  18:57:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by Falice

Trevor has started to strike at his food! yay. Not constricting yet just doing a lil strike, I was just wondering, at what age did everyones snakey start striking and constricting?
xx
my little eddie 3 month old likes to strike his food and it makes me jump every time ........i hope i get used to it

lloyd
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000