The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 What made you decide to start keeping snakes?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Falice Posted - 12/01/2012 : 15:10:20
Hi everyone just wondering what made eveyone decide to start keeping snakes, and how long have u been keeping them? Corn snakes in particular, and what other animals to you keep?

For me i've always wanted a snake but my mother isn't fond of them. So it wasn't until i moved out that i decided to research them. I fell in love with Trevor as soon as i saw him at one of my local pet stores, Little did I know that my boyfriend went back a few days later and bought him for me as a christmas present
oh and the only other animal I have is a c0ckatiel called Baldwin
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kehhlyr Posted - 16/01/2012 : 03:36:21
I used to go out and catch them and bring them back to show my mum.
Bringing an Adder back to her when I was but a mini-Kehhlyr and her saying "that's nice, when you're done, put it back where you got it and come have a sandwich" My mum was the aces!
Having a dad that was born/bred in India hasn't helped at all, especially hearing the stories about how he was found with a small tank in his bedroom with nearly a dozen baby cobras in it hasn't helped me either.

meggi Posted - 15/01/2012 : 20:06:41
I was watching a vet programme on animal planet with my mom and a corn snake came on. We were talking and i said how much i`d love a corn. The next thing i knew, i was opening a corn and terranium for my 10th b`day. I`m now 13 and still slightly obssesed with him

I also have 4 chickens, a guinea pig, a springer spaniel and 2 goldfish!!!
Redshift Spec Posted - 15/01/2012 : 19:45:18
Ok Here we go!

When I was about 5 my mum took me to the zoo. We got into one of those 'handle weird animals' sessions. A Koala came around, every things good. A Trantula came over, mother gets a bit nervous but still does well. The zoo guy brings out a big cloth sack and my mother sees this massive snake pop his head out and legs it out the door (leaving me in there). After handling that snake I always wanted one. I wasn't allowed one because my mother has a massive phobia, she got me a fluffy toy snake (at the age of 18 btw) because I kept banging on about it and it is called Sid.

I met my Fiancee and eventually moved out of my mums (a few months ago) into a house share in town. Shortly after that my cat Tigger died (still lived at my mums), this cat was like rain man. He used the toilet if he couldn't get outside and was very territorial over his spot on my bed (you can probably guess he wasn't impressed when Fern was over). After a while (I'm still recovering from the loss, that Cat was my best mate) I realised that there was nothing stopping me from getting a snake and calling it Frank! So I looked online, read dozens of websites and spoke to people I know with snakes and they recommended a place in Gloucester called Pilbara Reptiles. I called em up and had a chat and they recommended a Hatchling Corn. The following day I took the hour drive to Glos (after an excited sleepless night) just to have a look, get a feel for temperament and see how much they charged and set ups etc. The plan was to price it up and have a look around (Already done loads of online looking). Next thing I know Frank is in a RUB and I've got a Faun in the back of the car.

On calling my mother to tell her I've got a snake she was a little concerned and said 'they don't eat little baby mice do they' and my lightening reactions replied with 'Nooo, its a Corn snake. Frank eats corn!'. She reluctantly belived me but then did some research of her own and I had to confess. She did ask If i could feed him other things such as steak, chicken etc. I think she NEEDS to believe that Frank is eating steak and chicken nuggets. To be fair to my mum, she is showing an interest and is willing to face her fear! She hasn't promised but when talking about it she is willing to try, starting with seeing him in his faun, which is very brave considering her massive fear of snakes imo!

The hardest bit for me is holding off handling him until Wednesday for his next feed!

Well thats my origin story!
Falice Posted - 15/01/2012 : 17:13:44
Love hearing everyones stories
Mort13 Posted - 14/01/2012 : 10:56:26
I've loved reptiles,bugs and amphibians for as long as I can remember.....well I just nuts about animals/nature.
As a child I went to a pet shop and saw snakes and lizards and stood there dreaming I could have something so amazing,never thinking I actually would! Then whilst on a family holiday a year or so later I was out walking with my dad and we came across a grass snake on the road. My dad told me to pick it up in case it got run over (probably thought it was venemous so told me to do it lol!) Anyway I picked it up,it was playing dead and put it in some undergrowth,I was even more fascinated afterwards.
In my early 20's I had beardies and chameleons,my now ex had a burm. Had no reps for ages afterwards,although I thought about getting a corn 5 years ago,did all the research but got 2 rescue guinea pigs instead as I thought they'd be better for the kids! 2 years ago the kids and I stayed with a friend who had a corn,on coming back the kids asked if they could get one with their pocket money put together. They'd seen my friends corn feed so I knew they'd be ok with that and we went ahead and got Loki. Little did I expect I'd end up with a snakey clan,I've honestly never been so taken with an animal before!

I've also got a 7 year old ****atiel (Amy),she's a scruffy sod as she constantly laid eggs so I'm trying to build her back up! 2 guinea pigs (Patch and Tufty),they are elderly boys and I have to help one go to the toilet sometimes as he's started having difficulty bless him. I also have Max the millipede,he's a fab little bug,and the last remaining stick insect died a couple of weeks ago.
kdlang Posted - 13/01/2012 : 23:10:58
quote:
Originally posted by herriotfan

quote:
Originally posted by kdlang

We went to a place called White Post Farm a few years ago. They have a reptile house there and had handling sessions. My eldest son had a go handling one of the snakesand decided he wanted one. They had snakes for sale and all the equipment but I couldn't afford it all at the time. A couple of years later, my sister phoned and asked if Danny still wanted a snake. A work collegue of hers wanted a new home for her 18month old cornsnake which was coming complete with set-up so of course I said yes. So Alice came to live with us and after a few adjustments to the set-up (thermostat, digital thermometer, extra hide etc), we were smitten. Izzy followed 2 1/2 months later and the addiction kicked in.

I have also got a gorgeous 9yr old cat called Kizzy who I rescued at 12 weeks. And I have got a chocolate labrador puppy called Tyler who I foster on behalf of a Charity called Support Dogs who train assistance dogs for disabled people, people with epilepsy and children with autism. Tyler is my 9th foster for them. I love it.

Just thouht you might like to know kd that I raise money for support dogs......small world!

Hey that's fantastic. It really is a small world. They are such a small charity that not many people outside of sheffield know about them. Everyone knows the big ones like Dogs for disabled, guide dogs, hearing dogs etc so I am glad we are getting known further afield. Let me know if there is ever anything you are doing n I will help in any way I can
herriotfan Posted - 13/01/2012 : 22:41:48
quote:
Originally posted by herriotfan

quote:

We went to a place called White Post Farm a few years ago. They have a reptile house there and had handling sessions. My eldest son had a go handling one of the snakesand decided he wanted one. They had snakes for sale and all the equipment but I couldn't afford it all at the time. A couple of years later, my sister phoned and asked if Danny still wanted a snake. A work collegue of hers wanted a new home for her 18month old cornsnake which was coming complete with set-up so of course I said yes. So Alice came to live with us and after a few adjustments to the set-up (thermostat, digital thermometer, extra hide etc), we were smitten. Izzy followed 2 1/2 months later and the addiction kicked in.

I have also got a gorgeous 9yr old cat called Kizzy who I rescued at 12 weeks. And I have got a chocolate labrador puppy called Tyler who I foster on behalf of a Charity called Support Dogs who train assistance dogs for disabled people, people with epilepsy and children with autism. Tyler is my 9th foster for them. I love it.

Just thought you might like to know kd that I raise money for support dogs......small world!

herriotfan Posted - 13/01/2012 : 22:41:14
quote:

Just thouht you might like to know kd that I raise money for support dogs......small world!
c00ki3z Posted - 13/01/2012 : 22:31:10
I have always been interested in reptiles and snakes, I've always wanted one but never had the money when I was little. When I moved in with my boyfriend, I wanted one again so I told my partner but he was against the idea. I had £100 from my mum for one and we ended up getting a cat (and how much he regrets that! haha) anyways, months later my partner starts going through to Arbroath for some job centre stuff and notices there's a reptile shop there, he starts getting intersted in tarantulas so he eventually gets two, then I was finally allowed my first corn (Normal). Then for xmas 2011 I got my second corn (Fire) and plan on growing my collection :)
kdlang Posted - 13/01/2012 : 21:51:55

herriotfan Posted - 13/01/2012 : 18:15:02
I have bearded dragons and every time I went to get food I was interested in the snakes, but was petrified of them. One day I saw a notice saying they had hatchies. I decided to be very brave and asked if I could see and hold one. I was so lucky to hold Sidney who is the most laid back, chilled snake ever. Oh the awesome hand massage he gave when slowly gliding through my fingers.......that was it, I HAD to have him!! I now have a few more, well it's so easy to get addicted. Sidney has grown somewhat but he still manages amazing massages but now it's just about all over as well as my hands. My sig tells you all the other pets I have.....only a few
Laws Posted - 13/01/2012 : 17:11:34
i got into snakes by accident really . well me and the other half went to a place called doolittles and its a massive pet store in the country . we got to watch the guy who worked there with fascination as he fed the snakes and lizards . At the time we kept guppies and bred and sold them , but we started to slow down with those and reduced the collection . After a awhile we found we had a huge 90litre fish tank empty and my other halfs dad suggested we should get a corn snake . Sarah just raised her eybrow and said "really ?" and i was online and researching away and got hooked . It didnt take too long after me spendin ages sprouting info at her before we went to a local rep store just for "a look" we both got to hold some corns and then went to a diff store to look what they had there . In the car we decided to go for it and picked out a crimson corn who we called Kyle . however we were badly guided in the beginning (i then found this wonderful site with such great people ) and settle kyle in . however things werent right with him , despite having a set up that was now thankfully perfect for him , he regurged every meal and then refused . We took him back to the shop and the woman held onto him and tried to get him feeding . However she offered a replacement for us and we brough home Kodi .

We then were totally hooked, and i soon fell in love with Boas too , the missus has been really supportive with the snakes however i was told to stop my addiction :( lol . Despite not owning corns now (we only had the room for the three big boas ) when we move house im planning on adding one back in the house .

I dont kno what it is about snakes that im so besotted with , we went to pick up an incubator for the cresties today and i got to look at two babie hoggies , one with the cutest attitude ever and another than was more chilled . would have brought one home in a heartbeat!
I love keeping reps and have learnt loads , and still have a ton to learn
oakleyman18 Posted - 13/01/2012 : 15:48:55
I'm allergic to everything else :(
Tallscientist Posted - 13/01/2012 : 15:19:43
I have always wanted a snake since I was a teenager, to the point where my parents took me to a person who had corns, but obviously something they said (maybe it was the keeping of dead mice in the freezer) put them off. So I got a wooden snake for Christmas instead (it still takes pride of place on my chest of drawers). I even drew a picture of me and all my friends in the future, and I had a snake wrapped round me! Any time I saw someone handling a snake I had to go talk to them and see if I could handle the snake myself. Last year I went to Longleat and got to handle an adult corn snake. The guy told me they were really easy to take care of as pets (he's the one of the TV, but I can't remember his name). So on the strength of that I did some research and quickly found this website. Well my obsession was renewed. I pleaded and begged my boyfriend to have one and he said no and no again until I gave up. Nevertheless he likes to stalk me on Facebook and I had joined quite a few reptile groups by then, and could see that I was really interested in snakes and looking after them. So he did back down. But only for one. For the time being! I love my corn and am hoping to have a couple of small geckos in the future. We will see. I've got this far, and my fiance (as he is now) actually touched the snake the other day so I'm really proud!
Sta~ple Posted - 13/01/2012 : 13:11:11
Mum decided I should have one when I was 11 as when I was younger I would always hold the ones in zoos and shops. Also I had the choice ebtween corn and roysl, I chose corns as royals get an unsexy morbidly obese look when older ;) So now I have 4 corns and 1 soppy mexican black king, wish I got a king sooner! I also have 8 chickens, a mix of new warrens and ex battery, 3 cats and a massive pink ****atoo that I feel temped to have with a sunday roast when it doesn't behave!
Thante Posted - 12/01/2012 : 22:26:07
I'd always wanted a snake, don't know what age i started wanting one but i was young. When i was old enough for pets i got given a hamster, which was nice but boring. I kept asking for a snake as i got older but my mum and dad wouldn't allow it, at the time i thought it was because they either didn't like snakes or where just being mean (enter lots of teenage arguments), but they did let me have a rabbit instead.

When i finished uni i decided that as soon as i was in a house that would allow pets i would get a snake, i already knew i wanted corns. After the 1st year of my MA i decided to reward myself for getting so far and the landlord of the house i was in let me have a pet, although it was under the condition that i kept it a secrete as i lived with a girl who was terrified of snakes. Once i got Cherry i found out that my mum and dad actually like snakes, or at least don't mind them and will handle them. The reason i hadn't been allowed one was because i was already different, at the time a goth :P and they didn't want me to stand out as being different anymore then i already was. Odd reasoning but apart from me my family is so normal its scary, they don't like change or anything different (my tattoo is self harm apparently and will stop me from getting a job and my dad cried when i got my ears pierced!) .
Thankfully they have decided that its not "just a phase" so the've stopped worrying and learn that snakes are actually brilliant pets, regardless of the social stigma.
Emmy1 Posted - 12/01/2012 : 20:50:43
My first love is horses. I'm allergic to fur, but I never seemed to have any reaction around horses. I started riding when I was 10 and helped out inbetween my lessons. Unfortunately it was a career/ obssession cut short, as I had a major allergic reaction to horse dander that put me in hospital for days, equal to a nut allergy reaction. I haven't been near a horse since I was 14, as my doctor simply doesn't know what will happen if I do. It knocked me very badly as I was left to decide where to go next with my life. I enjoyed pets, and I'd kept rabbits and rats etc in the past, and as much I loved having them I sneezed all the time/ had general poor health because of it.

At 16, my sister's brownies had the Wirral Herp Society at their summer fair and we all went along. I had a brilliant time and found out that anyone of any experience can join. I attended a meeting not long after and learnt all I needed to know and met some amazing and supportive people, who are now my friends. I bought my first Beardie a few months later. Finally, a pet I wasn't allergic too! 4 years on, I'm still at the society, and I assist the lectures/ shows they do in order to help raise awareness and money to care for rescue reptiles we take in and rehome. It may not be a career, as it's all run by volunteers, but it has deffinitely filled the depression that I had following the end of my equestrian life. I get to meet new people of all ages and see animals I never thought I would see before. Plus, having these pets is a pretty good conversation starter!
paulie78 Posted - 12/01/2012 : 20:06:39
I always wanted a snake right from a young age theres no way mum or dad would let me have one i ended up settling for hmasters gerbils and the like i did get some stick insects but some escaped and mum was finding them for years afterwards hehe
back some years ago my housemates had a king snake and a corn snake they were pretty cool and it sparked my interest again then a couple years ago i got a big fihtank which i planned to convert to a viv but something happened and i ended up with fish lol but ive given up most of the fish now and decided to ful fill my lifelong wish of snakes lol i got my fifth today :-)
Casta Posted - 12/01/2012 : 19:23:45
first year at uni. 2 young corns in the zoology labs. i fell in love, tried stealing one but got caught since then have liked them and an empty fish tank after death of very old plec and talking catfish i decided a change was in order and got me thinking bout snakes again... ended up with African clawed frogs in the tank... but got introduced to a corn breeder close to home and later got my wee snow. that was in October. I got my third on Sunday
nusnakemum Posted - 12/01/2012 : 19:08:53
It was my 7 year old he wanted a snake desperately, so he had our first one Clyde for his birthday, unfortunately litle Clyde died so we have Ernest. A corn snake was recommended as a first snake, and i have completely fallen for snakes now and want more !!!!!(although i wont get one that i would feed rats too, i had a pet rat called Lulu and she was soo lovely !! We also have Mrs T a leopard gecko that was being neglected. Our Jeffrey (a huge incredibly annoying but lovable ginger n white cat) is currently looking after Granny since her old cat died !

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000