The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 First feed.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Horse Posted - 17/12/2011 : 15:09:25
Have just put a 'furry' in the viv for Colin's first feed. Have put it by the hollow log where he sits. Its been ther fro about an hour now and he aint shown any interest...this is the first time i have fed hime ...is this usual or should i be doing something else.....?
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
scottishbluebird Posted - 17/12/2011 : 21:45:43
Glad he fed for you!
Mort13 Posted - 17/12/2011 : 19:51:47
Glad he's fed for you. You just need to look out for a smally bird poo next.
oakleyman18 Posted - 17/12/2011 : 19:31:46
Nope, that's a Brazilian Rainbow Boa (see: www.therainbowboa.co.uk). Very different to most cornsnakes. They have some cool skin refraction (as seen in the pic) which turns some areas of their skin green/blue, very funky

Anyway on topic, glad he fed, thats good news And to answer your Q, it'll come out as liquid, sort of sloppy, but it dries, so by the time you see it it'll most likely be a bit squidgey..
Horse Posted - 17/12/2011 : 19:27:25
AWESOME....just watched Colin have his first scoff..........wife glanced in his viv and noticed din dins had gone...there it was...... mouse half in his mouth and he was walking it in nice and slow...seen it no end of times on tele but to see it raw and in the flesh.....now laying side of his log with a nice carbunkle moving down his length.....stroll on next feeding time.......

When he does a dump, (which he hasnt yet), will it be firm or liquid....this hobby is best yet..well nearly as good as fishing....

oakleyman..picture of snake you are holding..same markings as mine..was told it was a califorina corn..is that right?
oakleyman18 Posted - 17/12/2011 : 19:13:21
If you've only had him three days it's not really any surprise he's not coming out for food, he may well be just too insecure around his new home to feed yet. As a general rule of thumb leave 7 days before feeding or handling or having any interaction with the snake. I'd wait until mid next week before trying again personally. And then, obviously, with a fresh mouse.

SB77, that's fine, that's your opinion, and for the most part I agree. In fact my first snake I always fed it in it's viv for the first 8 years of it's life and never had any major problems. Well I didn't, but it would always come out quickly tasting the air and anyones hands who came in, and this scared a lot of people, even though they weren't going to get bitten. Obviously once he knew it wasn't food, he was fine, but this "come out and have a look" attitude can put people off, so personally, I now avoid it. Also, my snake used to seriously hit the mouse, so laying one piece of paper down rarely helped, he would always end up somewhere difference once he'd gotten it. Just a personal preference as I said, I just prefer to remove any risks.
Horse Posted - 17/12/2011 : 18:42:53
Re moving him to anoter box to feed....I have read/been told not to disturb him for 48 hrs as this may cause him to regurgitate,( or however u spell it), his food.....how do u get round this??
SexyBear77 Posted - 17/12/2011 : 18:32:28
Personally, I think the whole "food-hand association" is a total load of nonsense. Not a single one of mine bites when you go to get them out, and they are *always* fed in their enclosure. No one seems to consider that if snakes associate their surroundings or a human hand with feeding to the extent that they bite when you go to handle them, then surely they should bite the hand when you go to get them out because you could be taking them to the feeding tub...... and there is just as much chance of being bitten when you go to put them back.

Removing a new snake to feed it in a tub can also be stressful for them. Personally I would leave him in his enclosure.

If you are worried about substrate ingestion (which can be largely eliminated by feeding totally dry prey items) then put down a piece of paper or tissue first.
Horse Posted - 17/12/2011 : 18:32:10
About 3 days...if i leave his scoff in his viv till morning and it ait been eat, will it be ok to use it to feed him ina seperate container or will i need a fresh mouse?
oakleyman18 Posted - 17/12/2011 : 16:40:31
You should try getting him out of his Viv, putting him in a seperate container or something and feeding him in that. A couple of advantages to this:

1) Eliminates risk of him ingesting any of the substrate,
2) Makes sure he doesn't associate activity in his Viv with food- otherwise he may find your hand looking rather tasty after a while

Usually they can smell the food, but if this is your first feed with him, he may still be a little shy and staying put until he feels a little more comfortable. That being the case, it will mostly likely be nommed by the morning when you have a peek, but I'd still suggest getting him out to do it. How long have you had him?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000