The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Heat mat and Ceramic combo: Yes or No?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
teabicky Posted - 02/11/2011 : 16:24:10
My house is not very insulated and can get very cold in the winter, especially at night when I don't have the heating on. I am about to upgrade to a four foot viv. My plan is to use a heat mat for my Snakes thermo-regulation but I am concerned that during these cold times the ambient air in such a large viv will be too cold (when he is climbing etc). To counter this I intend to use a ceramic bulb to gently heat the ambient air only, not to create a hot spot. The temperature I will aim for will only be about 22 degrees C.

I have read somewhere on the net that under no circumstances should a mat and ceramic be used at the same time. I would like to know your thoughts on this. My feeling is that the advise not to use both probably relates to thermo-regulation and the creation of Hot/ Cold areas but not to the gentle heating of the ambient temperature.
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
jonoandapril Posted - 03/11/2011 : 12:20:14
id go with the ceramic, i just reckon their better all round than the matts. plus the look better i think. :)
Sta~ple Posted - 02/11/2011 : 19:44:34
My corns can have cool ends of 13c some times in the winter and they have been fine, they just move to the warm end when tehy need it.

I'd just have one or the other.
eeji Posted - 02/11/2011 : 18:45:35
i personally would choose the ceramic alone
lotabob Posted - 02/11/2011 : 18:16:03
I dont know about both, ceramics are seriously good heaters, but wherever you point them it will create a hot spot. I do have my current corn snake viv on a spot and mat combo but its 2 stats and a timer, the light through the day the mat at night. My new viv is only using ceramics (though thats not confirmed in the corn viv yet, he'll let me know what he likes). Last winter just gone my boiler packed in so for a week it was seriously cold and the the cold end of the corn viv was dropping to 13oC but he was totally fine, he just carried on like nothing was the matter.

SO in summary, you can do both on separate thermostats but really only one or the other is required though the ceramic will warm the ambient air temp as well.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000