The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 my snake is shedding what Do I Do?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Mill77 Posted - 06/10/2011 : 06:49:20
I have been advised to leave her for 7 days, it is now day 5, I looked in her tank this morning and in the entrance to his warm hide. I dont know if its still attached, I dont want to go in and scare her again. Please help me!
17   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Sta~ple Posted - 11/10/2011 : 17:29:36
Shes a normal, you can see the orange on her back comming through. Normal hatchlings can hatch out to looking like anerys in my expereince and then after a few sheds, the grey becomes bright orange all over.
Simmy_82 Posted - 11/10/2011 : 11:10:32
Its definitely not an Anery. They are a black/white/grey colour. Your's has reddish brown bits on which says its either a Carolina, but could also be a Miami, depensd if there is any orange starting to show or not.
Mill77 Posted - 11/10/2011 : 10:32:31
I dont know if its a Miami. The guy in the shop just said it was an anery. Is there any way I can find out. I have some new pics of her fully shed, she is lovely and bright. Will try and get them on this evening. If I can tear my wife off facebook lol.
Simmy_82 Posted - 10/10/2011 : 12:44:31
I think its a normal. It looks similar to mine, just less orange than mine has. Probs because its a bit younger than mine.

Glad the rest came off ok.
ScalySituation Posted - 10/10/2011 : 12:40:36
is she a miami??
Mill77 Posted - 10/10/2011 : 10:55:34
I used a bit of damp kitchen roll and got the last off. She is like a new snake, out and about exploring. Thank u all for your advice.
tordyjo Posted - 07/10/2011 : 19:38:20
You need to remove that last bit - using the damp towel/kitchen roll technique, if its left to build up it can act like a tourniquet and kill the end of the snakes tail - basically it'll turn black before dropping off
Mill77 Posted - 07/10/2011 : 16:12:07

Sorry about yesterday, my internet was playing up. hope ive done this right. i dont know if you can make it out but she still has some on the last 4 inches of her body is this ok, as she only started 3 days ago?
Auld Baldy Posted - 06/10/2011 : 15:19:54
Main thing is to check the head section of the shed skin for the eye caps and tail tip having come off cleanly.
Mill77 Posted - 06/10/2011 : 13:13:32
Am in work at the moment, I will try and get a few pics on here for you later. Thank you all again for your help and advice.
garrie Posted - 06/10/2011 : 10:32:25
Yay, your snake has shed! I would recommend going in and having a look - the "leaving for 7 days" is simply a case of waiting up to around 7 days until you can see the shed skin loose in the vivarium. I would doubt that it is still half attached to your snake - but i echo what has been said above by others if you do find any scales left on (hopefully you should be able to tell from the shed).

Also, I can not tell you enough, just important it is for us to see some pictures of your shiny shiny Lizzie, fresh from a shed
Mill77 Posted - 06/10/2011 : 10:26:25
Sorry about my first post it was early this morning. I didnt realize what I wrote, hope I made it a bit clearer.
Simmy_82 Posted - 06/10/2011 : 10:22:47
Yeah lift the hide and check. It will be fine. Let us know if all went well or if there are any problems
Mill77 Posted - 06/10/2011 : 10:19:18
I mean her skin is at the entrance to her hide, but I can only see one end of it. Like I said, I didnt want to reach in and scare her. Should I just lift her hide and check?
Mamma Posted - 06/10/2011 : 08:31:36
If you think that the shed is going bad, and is not gonna come off in one piece (ie its flakey coming off) you can make a moist hide for the snake. Some damp moss in a hide xx
EmSquem Posted - 06/10/2011 : 07:36:58
If she hasn't shed yet, don't worry, she will. They generally sort it out by themselves. It's only if some scales are still stuck on afterwards that you need to worry (normally if you bath then in warm water and run them through a towel the remaining shed will come off - but this can be stressful for your snake). And if you're scared that something's wrong with her just scoop her out and take a look, you don't have to leave them alone completely when they're in blue. Mine are fine if I want to handle them.
tordyjo Posted - 06/10/2011 : 07:35:43
i dont' quite understand what you mean by is it still attached.

When in shed their eyes will cloud over and they'll look really dull, they'll hide away and some do not want to eat. Its quite ok to spot clean, i've even got mine out in blue, but they know my smell now and know i'm not going to harm them, its one of the times they feel at their most vulnerable.

Once the eyes have gone clear again - don't be fooled the process is not over. It will take anywhere from 2-7 days and then they will shed. You will notice the shed as its usually all round the viv/faun. Just check the eyes and tail tip to make sure its all there.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000