New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mill77
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2011 :  06:49:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been advised to leave her for 7 days, it is now day 5, I looked in her tank this morning and in the entrance to his warm hide. I dont know if its still attached, I dont want to go in and scare her again. Please help me!

tordyjo
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2036 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2011 :  07:35:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i dont' quite understand what you mean by is it still attached.

When in shed their eyes will cloud over and they'll look really dull, they'll hide away and some do not want to eat. Its quite ok to spot clean, i've even got mine out in blue, but they know my smell now and know i'm not going to harm them, its one of the times they feel at their most vulnerable.

Once the eyes have gone clear again - don't be fooled the process is not over. It will take anywhere from 2-7 days and then they will shed. You will notice the shed as its usually all round the viv/faun. Just check the eyes and tail tip to make sure its all there.

LillyCrystalHarry
1.2.0 corns, 1.1.0 cats tropical guppies who continually breed

Go to Top of Page

EmSquem
Yearling

United Kingdom
525 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2011 :  07:36:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If she hasn't shed yet, don't worry, she will. They generally sort it out by themselves. It's only if some scales are still stuck on afterwards that you need to worry (normally if you bath then in warm water and run them through a towel the remaining shed will come off - but this can be stressful for your snake). And if you're scared that something's wrong with her just scoop her out and take a look, you don't have to leave them alone completely when they're in blue. Mine are fine if I want to handle them.

1.2.0 corns (Star, Eddie and Scarlet)
1.0.0 Sinaloan milk snake (Harry)
1.1.0 Black Labrador (Berry and Buddy)
Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2011 :  08:31:36  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you think that the shed is going bad, and is not gonna come off in one piece (ie its flakey coming off) you can make a moist hide for the snake. Some damp moss in a hide xx

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

Mill77
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2011 :  10:19:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I mean her skin is at the entrance to her hide, but I can only see one end of it. Like I said, I didnt want to reach in and scare her. Should I just lift her hide and check?
Go to Top of Page

Simmy_82
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1272 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2011 :  10:22:47  Show Profile  Click to see Simmy_82's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yeah lift the hide and check. It will be fine. Let us know if all went well or if there are any problems

0.1.0 - Cat - Tallulah
0.0.1 - Carolina Corn Snake - Lilith

Edited by - Simmy_82 on 06/10/2011 10:22:59
Go to Top of Page

Mill77
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2011 :  10:26:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry about my first post it was early this morning. I didnt realize what I wrote, hope I made it a bit clearer.
Go to Top of Page

garrie
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1148 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2011 :  10:32:25  Show Profile  Visit garrie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yay, your snake has shed! I would recommend going in and having a look - the "leaving for 7 days" is simply a case of waiting up to around 7 days until you can see the shed skin loose in the vivarium. I would doubt that it is still half attached to your snake - but i echo what has been said above by others if you do find any scales left on (hopefully you should be able to tell from the shed).

Also, I can not tell you enough, just important it is for us to see some pictures of your shiny shiny Lizzie, fresh from a shed

^click for more pics^
Garrie - Halesworth, Suffolk. 1.0 AURYN (fire morph corn) 0.1 Puzzle (Cat)
Go to Top of Page

Mill77
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2011 :  13:13:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Am in work at the moment, I will try and get a few pics on here for you later. Thank you all again for your help and advice.
Go to Top of Page

Auld Baldy
Ikea's Pimp

United Kingdom
1619 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2011 :  15:19:54  Show Profile  Visit Auld Baldy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Main thing is to check the head section of the shed skin for the eye caps and tail tip having come off cleanly.

1.0.0: Miami Normal: Taggart
0.0.1: Carolina Normal: Wee Woody
0.0.1: Grey Rat Snake: Mirkey
0.0.1: Amel Corn: Blaze
1.0.0: Carpet Python: Vambo
0.0.1: MBK: Fester
0.0.1: Florida King Snake : Rattler (Rattle & Hum)
0.0.1. California King Snake: El Diablo Diego
0.2.0 Tarantulas : Ermintrude & Euphemia.
Go to Top of Page

Mill77
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2011 :  16:12:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Sorry about yesterday, my internet was playing up. hope ive done this right. i dont know if you can make it out but she still has some on the last 4 inches of her body is this ok, as she only started 3 days ago?
Go to Top of Page

tordyjo
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2036 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2011 :  19:38:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You need to remove that last bit - using the damp towel/kitchen roll technique, if its left to build up it can act like a tourniquet and kill the end of the snakes tail - basically it'll turn black before dropping off

LillyCrystalHarry
1.2.0 corns, 1.1.0 cats tropical guppies who continually breed

Go to Top of Page

Mill77
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2011 :  10:55:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used a bit of damp kitchen roll and got the last off. She is like a new snake, out and about exploring. Thank u all for your advice.
Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2011 :  12:40:36  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
is she a miami??

1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Sleep well Sonny, Mummy loves you xx
Go to Top of Page

Simmy_82
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1272 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2011 :  12:44:31  Show Profile  Click to see Simmy_82's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I think its a normal. It looks similar to mine, just less orange than mine has. Probs because its a bit younger than mine.

Glad the rest came off ok.

0.1.0 - Cat - Tallulah

Edited by - Simmy_82 on 10/10/2011 12:44:53
Go to Top of Page

Mill77
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2011 :  10:32:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dont know if its a Miami. The guy in the shop just said it was an anery. Is there any way I can find out. I have some new pics of her fully shed, she is lovely and bright. Will try and get them on this evening. If I can tear my wife off facebook lol.
Go to Top of Page

Simmy_82
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1272 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2011 :  11:10:32  Show Profile  Click to see Simmy_82's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Its definitely not an Anery. They are a black/white/grey colour. Your's has reddish brown bits on which says its either a Carolina, but could also be a Miami, depensd if there is any orange starting to show or not.

0.1.0 - Cat - Tallulah
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2011 :  17:29:36  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Shes a normal, you can see the orange on her back comming through. Normal hatchlings can hatch out to looking like anerys in my expereince and then after a few sheds, the grey becomes bright orange all over.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000