The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Take heed!!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Mamma Posted - 01/10/2011 : 12:38:53
Well I was rudley awoken by hubby last night at 1.45am. He was not impressed. I wondered what on earth he had woken me up for. He told me Miki (one of our cats) had heard/saw something down his side of the bed. And then he apparently heard some rustling noise.

Now hubbys side of the bed is a typical male bombsite. So he couldnt see what it was.

He checked my newts (one of them had escaped one day as Elvis (our big fat cat) had managed to bump the lid slightly...enough for it to squeeze through)...but they were still there.

So after waking me up with a couple of slaps on the duvet, he told me to check on Jupiter.

I looked into his viv and my heart filled with panic. I checked under both his hides and under the water bowl. Nothing there. Then I noticed it. The wee poop head had managed to nudge/push the back vent out!! So before hunting for him in the bedroom I popped the vent back in. I tried to push it out myself but it was very hard to do so (I have arthritis probs etc so have a poor grip etc anyway so this could be why I found it hard). Hubby secured the vent in and checked it cant be nudged back out. Then the hunt began...

I had to clear most of the **** from hubby's side of the bed, but no luck there. Then I spotted him behind his bedside table. That was moved, but in the process he slinked off. Couldnt see him. Thats when we decided to check the bed. By this time hubby was very very unimpressed (hes not a snake fan but puts up with them cos it makes me happy).

Now our bed is HUGE. The base of it was....umm.. aquired ..by my dad from the hotel he works in (honeymoon suite) so you can imagine how big it is. All our friends who have seen it joke that it could fit the waltons in it . hubby had to move the MASSIVE matress off the bed and unclasp the bit that seperates the 2 halves of the base (yes it is really that big!!) and lift it up at an angle. I looked under and thats when I saw him. I reached in and clasped my hand around him to bring him out. My lord he musked me and he musked me good! My hand was COVERED in smelly sticky water stuff, and he didnt stop at doing it once. He musked me several times before I got him back into his viv.

Needless to say, this morning when the kids got up at an ungodly hour, hubby refused to get up (it was my lie in day) reminding me that he was up at stupid o'clock in the morning looking for one of my snakes.

Hubby has sinced checked all of the vents on my other vivs and they are fine.

The moral of the story? Escapees can happen to any keeper. Please check that all of your vents are secured and cannotbe nose nudged out!
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Sta~ple Posted - 04/10/2011 : 21:15:52
Sleep over at Mammas!
ptmbradley Posted - 04/10/2011 : 20:24:43
OMG woman, you weren't kidding were you??

You'd get 4 in there no problem! Ahem...
Mamma Posted - 04/10/2011 : 16:03:36
quote:
Originally posted by Auld Baldy

Flaming heck! Does it come with a map??

LMAO! I know.. its the envy of all my pals. Its a pain in the rectum though for me getting in and out cos of my bad hips. So if the NHS decide that I have to get a more suitable bed then I will have to
Auld Baldy Posted - 04/10/2011 : 15:55:19
Flaming heck! Does it come with a map??
Mamma Posted - 04/10/2011 : 13:35:23
quote:
Originally posted by ptmbradley

Glad you found the little wotsit so quick. Now, I really wanna see a pic of this mahoosive bed of yours young lady!

LMAO! OK

Now elinor is coming up 4.. but tall for her age.

I had to press right against the opposite wall just to fit the bed in the cameras view lmao!
Mort13 Posted - 04/10/2011 : 13:28:34
I thought it sounded like you would,but thought best let you know that it is actually possible. Sneaky little snakes!
Simmy_82 Posted - 04/10/2011 : 13:07:51
I do. I check on all the grilles constantly checking for weeknesses. She was doing it last night, but must have got bored and carried on mooching around.
Mort13 Posted - 04/10/2011 : 13:04:44
quote:
Originally posted by Simmy_82

I always have a laugh watching mine trying to escape. Its always trying to squeeze its head throught he vent grills on the fauns. Funny thing is when she fails she tries the next couple along and does so all around the faun lol.

Not trying to worry you or owt,but just keep an eye on her if she keeps trying. An ex member on here had one of hers escape through those grills,it pushed them apart!
Simmy_82 Posted - 04/10/2011 : 12:45:30
I always have a laugh watching mine trying to escape. Its always trying to squeeze its head throught he vent grills on the fauns. Funny thing is when she fails she tries the next couple along and does so all around the faun lol.
ptmbradley Posted - 04/10/2011 : 12:24:27
Glad you found the little wotsit so quick. Now, I really wanna see a pic of this mahoosive bed of yours young lady!
Mamma Posted - 04/10/2011 : 11:09:57
quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

lol, i glued the vents in with 2 ton epoxy, one of the boas still managed to pry them out!!! I ended up having to make the snake room escape proof as i could barely keep him in the viv!!! After i sold him, i heard he was still escaping from supposedly escape proof vivs!!

I think Jupiter is gonna end up being like this! tsssk
mikerichards Posted - 04/10/2011 : 09:35:05
lol, i glued the vents in with 2 ton epoxy, one of the boas still managed to pry them out!!! I ended up having to make the snake room escape proof as i could barely keep him in the viv!!! After i sold him, i heard he was still escaping from supposedly escape proof vivs!!
Mamma Posted - 03/10/2011 : 12:43:26
Im gonna have to keep my eye on him I think!
Mort13 Posted - 03/10/2011 : 12:40:59
Lol,he's one crafty snake!!
Mamma Posted - 03/10/2011 : 12:33:14
hes a sneaky wee poo head Im gnona have to change his name to stevie mcqueen! Feed day yesterday... hes a drop feeder and you need to cover him up. SO I popped him in the smaller rub (closeness means he cant get away from the feed) and popped the smaller rub into the larger rub. Covered it over and left him to it. Checked on him later and he had gotten OUT of the smaller rub and was in the larger rub. The smaller rub's lid was still on perfectly tight etc and the mouse still inside the smaller rub
garrie Posted - 03/10/2011 : 11:51:44
That's quite a story Mamma! I'm really glad you got him eventually though
lotabob Posted - 01/10/2011 : 18:58:33
Lucky you realised so quickly and was able to round him up before he managed to get too far. I think you could lock a snake in a box with no holes and they'd find a way out. I haven't had an escape to date but I went as far as to escape proof the room, make sure there is no way under the floor, my only weak link is the fireplace but cant do much about that.
Mort13 Posted - 01/10/2011 : 18:22:16
Christ,you must have both nearly had a fit,never mind you not being very popular for a while!
I too put my vents in from the inside and plaster sealent over them. Glad of it too as I've noticed Vader checking them out a lot.

Glad you found your naughty stinky snake.
a33272 Posted - 01/10/2011 : 17:24:44
i nail my vents in with panel pins :D.
shaunb Posted - 01/10/2011 : 16:55:57
wow you had a very interesting night then glad you found him

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000