The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 just wanted to say hi

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Bob101 Posted - 26/08/2011 : 21:58:50
hey guys, I have just got my first corn snake, about 20 mins ago, and thought I would join the forum. I have been reading a lot of the information in the forums and site and thank god its there! lol, just a tad worried that my heat mat aint strong enough. its a 6 by 11 7 WATT. i turned it on before dinner at like 5.30 ish in preparation for the corn later that evening, and the temp at the warm side isnt as high as i would have liked :(, i have spoken to the guy i am getting the corn from, and he says as long as you can feel a difference in temp the corn snake will do the rest and regulate his own body temp. i was just wondering should i get a higher WATT, cause my thinkin would be the higher the WATT the greater the temperature range, or am i completely wrong! lol

cheers

Bob
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Spreebok Posted - 26/08/2011 : 23:55:25
Yeah, tape is a bugger. Found some not-so-sticky sticky tape on the underside of the heatmat I was given with my largest corn, with a few of her scales attached to it :/
scottishbluebird Posted - 26/08/2011 : 23:55:08
Hi and welcome, hope you get sorted soon! but you really couldnt be in a better and more friendly place
Aegis Posted - 26/08/2011 : 23:34:03
Just to add to the tape thing. Please....dont! My corn snake has a defect (like a twist) on her because her previous owner had duct tape in there with her, it stuck to her. They left it on instead of seeking medical advice from a vet and its caused the problem she has which is noticeable and causes problems with her eating. Sorry, some ppl dont mind tape. But seeing what its done to her, i dont like it.

Also, i got her without a working thermostat (wasnt told it was broken) so turned off heat mat until i got my thermostat and she was fine. Just couldnt feed her. I paid £31 for a thermostat from ebay (its a lucky reptile one not habistat tho) and its a god-send! Its got a thermometer on it, also have 2 digital thermometers in the Viv and a dial one just to check ambient temps regularly. (im a very protective mother)

The state her viv was in when i got it, made me sad. No light guard, bulb was roasting hot!! Iv now basically ripped it out and am replacing with LEDs because they dont heat up and she cant get to them.

Hope you get it all sorted soon and congrats!!! xx
Diesel1994 Posted - 26/08/2011 : 23:19:59
i believe there is a sticky somewhere named "why a thermostat must be used" with some pictures of a royal, the stat is essential, in no circumstances should a stat not be used, one rep vet in NI, the fees will be extortionate and for the sake of £30 and possibly the future of your snake you can save yourself and the snake so much stress
Bob101 Posted - 26/08/2011 : 23:18:45
ok, the mat is now off, and im ordering the stat now. :), might get mum to knit him a jumper lol, keep him warm till the stat arrives!!
lotabob Posted - 26/08/2011 : 23:14:30
This time of year as long as the corn snake isn't digesting it will be fine at room temperature, its a far safer (and cheaper, only 1 rep vet i know of in Northern Ireland) option than burning the snake's belly.
Diesel1994 Posted - 26/08/2011 : 23:06:32
yes, the mat will heat up and heat up and just keep going, the results can be disastrous, for the sake of around £30 it really is not worth it mate
Bob101 Posted - 26/08/2011 : 23:04:42
im in limavady :) not too far away from you!, ive just stuck my hand onto the hot end and it doesnt seem to be extremely hot, just warm...well warmer that the cooler end at any rate lol. still turn it off, and order online.
lotabob Posted - 26/08/2011 : 22:58:43
I just one thing to add, Please don't use any selotape anywhere you snake will be, tape and snakes don't mix and can really harm your snake. Ifv they get caught on it it can really damage their skin, scales or tongue. There are much better and safer ways to secure a mat, the easiest been something heavy. I use a glue gun, its quick, easy and non toxic (and as a bonus can be picked off if needs be).

Where about in NI are you, I'm Belfast, if you need any tips on where to go for things I may be able to help, though to be honest stats etc are always cheaper online.
Diesel1994 Posted - 26/08/2011 : 22:57:06
also karen did you get my e-mail?
kdlang Posted - 26/08/2011 : 22:52:28
As long as you don't feed your snake he will be fine with the heatmat turned off. Much better than risking burns or neurological damage from a hot mat.

I would never use any kind of tape in my snakes tank. Any avoidable risk is not a risk worth taking in my book. I have used tape to stick a mat to the underside of a faun but never within a viv.
Diesel1994 Posted - 26/08/2011 : 22:50:30
yeah jw, wa just guna say have a look on my site, ill be cheaper than amazon
Bob101 Posted - 26/08/2011 : 22:47:56
live in northern ireland, ordering from amazon just....is that ok?
Diesel1994 Posted - 26/08/2011 : 22:43:26
it will be fine, where are you ordering from?
Bob101 Posted - 26/08/2011 : 22:40:56
ok, so if i order the stat now, and turn my heat mat off, with the corn be ok, till the stat comes, or should i order it 1st class, and not free P&P? 2-3 business days?
Diesel1994 Posted - 26/08/2011 : 22:37:00
i also agree with the hide tip, but from a personal point of view ive never had any problem with sellotape aslong as it is very secure, maybe slightly different with small corns as they have more of a burrowing instinct
Diesel1994 Posted - 26/08/2011 : 22:35:11
the heat mat plugs into the thermostat and the thermostat plugs into the wall, once you order ill send you a big list of instructions how to set it up step by step :)
tordyjo Posted - 26/08/2011 : 22:34:19
please turn your mat off until you have a stat, i've seen some nasty pics of burnt snakies where the mats have gotten too hot and burnt them, your's is probably staying by the door because its cooler. I personally wouldn't use sellotape to stick down a mat, if the tape comes up and the snake brushes against it the tape can damage the snakes scales, you'd be better off using the snakes hide to hold the mat, thermometer and thermostat probes down, no risk to your snake then, once he's settled don't forget to show him off with some pics

ok so i've typed this took a break and came back to realise i've missed a whole chunk of conversation, pleased you're going to get a stat
Bob101 Posted - 26/08/2011 : 22:31:58
ok, :), and all the wiring instructions come with the thermostat? and i need a digital thermometer also?, sp tape the probe from the thermostat and the thermometer to the heat mat, but then how is the heat mat attached to the mats power supply, lol my brain aint working this evening lol soz guys.
Diesel1994 Posted - 26/08/2011 : 22:31:28
im pretty sure your wattage is too low for a temp stat anyway

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000