The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Varnishing wood

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Red123 Posted - 23/08/2011 : 16:33:16
If I collected some branches from the fields, but was not 100% sure what type of tree they came from, would varnishing the branches with 2 or 3 coats be ok. Would it still be a probelm if the wood was from an unsuitable tree even if they were sealed with the varnish?
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Red123 Posted - 23/08/2011 : 20:13:38
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

quote:
Originally posted by Red123

quote:

Thought thats what you meant! Varnisning without debaking lol that's why I got all excited as I have 2 massive hard barnches that need doing yet... :P I have no idea to be hontest. I hope someone who nos answers though!

Varnishing with debarked wood should be fine, you can make home dae vivs and hoide and use waterproof vanish on them so I see no reason why not on branches

I thought I was the only one that had trouble pressing the right keys lol. Couldn't resist sta~ple, hope you don't take it the wrong way.

Been drinking ssssshhhhhhhh

Wondered if you had but didn't like to say.
Sta~ple Posted - 23/08/2011 : 19:52:47
quote:
Originally posted by Red123

quote:

Thought thats what you meant! Varnisning without debaking lol that's why I got all excited as I have 2 massive hard barnches that need doing yet... :P I have no idea to be hontest. I hope someone who nos answers though!

Varnishing with debarked wood should be fine, you can make home dae vivs and hoide and use waterproof vanish on them so I see no reason why not on branches

I thought I was the only one that had trouble pressing the right keys lol. Couldn't resist sta~ple, hope you don't take it the wrong way.

Been drinking ssssshhhhhhhh
chrisc Posted - 23/08/2011 : 19:47:58
the fumes will be gone after a few days of heating. the sticks ive got for my vivs were de-barked and baked in the oven or you can bleach them, theres a post here somwhere about it
Red123 Posted - 23/08/2011 : 19:37:15
Well if thats the case, don't think I will bother. I will have to try and find branches from a fruit tree instead.
chrisc Posted - 23/08/2011 : 19:29:39
i have coated my homemade viv with yacht varnish which takes ages to dry and also found out from TRP that it needs to be heated at the viv temp for example for a few days as it can release more fumes when heated
Red123 Posted - 23/08/2011 : 18:33:23
quote:

Sta~ple Posted - 23/08/2011 : 18:27:16

Red123 Posted - 23/08/2011 : 18:09:24
Sta~ple, I Hadn't thought about not debarking was still going to strip it down.

Could the branches still be varnished and keep the bark on?
Sta~ple Posted - 23/08/2011 : 17:51:48
Gah I hope you can, wish I though of vanisining all over instead of debarking if you can do that!
Callazagy Posted - 23/08/2011 : 16:53:39
Make sure you get a varnish that says low VOC (Volatile Organic Compound)due to the fumes/pollutents that normal varnish has, something that says Eco on or Yacht varnish would be safe. Id still let it air of for a few weeks however. Otherwise it will be absolutley fine and I imagine very easy to clean.
Red123 Posted - 23/08/2011 : 16:42:43
I would think that the varnish would harden and you would be able to wipe the poos off with a damp cloth just as you would wipe down a staircase that has been varnished. Surely easier than wiping poos off un varnished wood?
Diesel1994 Posted - 23/08/2011 : 16:40:08
dont think it would be a problem, but am i right in thinking the varnish would go messy when your snake poos on it?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000