New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2011 :  16:33:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I collected some branches from the fields, but was not 100% sure what type of tree they came from, would varnishing the branches with 2 or 3 coats be ok. Would it still be a probelm if the wood was from an unsuitable tree even if they were sealed with the varnish?

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
Boa Constrictor Imperator
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

0.0.1 Schneider Skink (George)
1.0.0 Extreme Blonde Harlequin Crested Gecko (Bert)
4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.
Chaco Golden Knee (G. pulchripes) Charlie, Greenbottle Blue (C. cyaneopubescens) Gus, Honduran Curly Hair ( B. albopilosum) Titch, Mexican Fire Leg (B. boehmei), Salmon Pink Bird Eater(L. parahybana), Fort Hall Baboon (P. Lugardi) Blanche, Stout Leg Baboon (E. Pachypus) Graham, Chilean Rose (G. Rosea) Glen.

Border collie x (BoB), 2 Cats (Lucky & Dip), 17 Goldfish, and The Dubia Family

Diesel1994
Hatchling

United Kingdom
338 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2011 :  16:40:08  Show Profile  Visit Diesel1994's Homepage  Click to see Diesel1994's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
dont think it would be a problem, but am i right in thinking the varnish would go messy when your snake poos on it?

Owner of Renza Exotics - www.renzapets.co.uk
For all your Exotic & Domestic pet needs
Go to Top of Page

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2011 :  16:42:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would think that the varnish would harden and you would be able to wipe the poos off with a damp cloth just as you would wipe down a staircase that has been varnished. Surely easier than wiping poos off un varnished wood?

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.
Chaco Golden Knee (G. pulchripes) Charlie, Greenbottle Blue (C. cyaneopubescens) Gus, Honduran Curly Hair ( B. albopilosum) Titch, Mexican Fire Leg (B. boehmei), Salmon Pink Bird Eater(L. parahybana), Fort Hall Baboon (P. Lugardi) Blanche, Stout Leg Baboon (E. Pachypus) Graham, Chilean Rose (G. Rosea) Glen.

Go to Top of Page

Callazagy
Yearling

United Kingdom
506 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2011 :  16:53:39  Show Profile  Click to see Callazagy's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Make sure you get a varnish that says low VOC (Volatile Organic Compound)due to the fumes/pollutents that normal varnish has, something that says Eco on or Yacht varnish would be safe. Id still let it air of for a few weeks however. Otherwise it will be absolutley fine and I imagine very easy to clean.

* 2.1 Corn Snakes (Arthas - Normal, Tilion - Anery Lav, Yavanna - Stripe) * 1.1 Cape House Snake (Jenson & Ginetta) * 1.0 Carpet Python (Irian Jaya Jag - Grantly) *
* 1.0 Amazon Tree Boa (Omen) * 1.1.2 Crested Geckos (Brindle, Harley, Noumea & Farino) * 0.0.2 Gargoyle Geckos (Pazuzu & Vesper) *
* 0.0.1 Mexican Red Leg Tarantula (Aragog) * 1.1 Leopard Geckos (Kara & Darwin) * 1.0 Dog (Labrador - Barney) * 1.0 Cat (Casper) *
* 1.0 Western Hognose (Hamilton) * 1.0 Apricot Pueblan Milk Snake (Tweek) * 0.0.2 Common Musk Turtles (Erin & Ira) *
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2011 :  17:51:48  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Gah I hope you can, wish I though of vanisining all over instead of debarking if you can do that!

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2011 :  18:09:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sta~ple, I Hadn't thought about not debarking was still going to strip it down.

Could the branches still be varnished and keep the bark on?

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2011 :  18:27:16  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thought thats what you meant! Varnisning without debaking lol that's why I got all excited as I have 2 massive hard barnches that need doing yet... :P I have no idea to be hontest. I hope someone who nos answers though!

Varnishing with debarked wood should be fine, you can make home dae vivs and hoide and use waterproof vanish on them so I see no reason why not on branches

Go to Top of Page

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2011 :  18:33:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

Thought thats what you meant! Varnisning without debaking lol that's why I got all excited as I have 2 massive hard barnches that need doing yet... :P I have no idea to be hontest. I hope someone who nos answers though!

Varnishing with debarked wood should be fine, you can make home dae vivs and hoide and use waterproof vanish on them so I see no reason why not on branches

I thought I was the only one that had trouble pressing the right keys lol. Couldn't resist sta~ple, hope you don't take it the wrong way.

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.

Go to Top of Page

chrisc
Hatchling

United Kingdom
357 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2011 :  19:29:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have coated my homemade viv with yacht varnish which takes ages to dry and also found out from TRP that it needs to be heated at the viv temp for example for a few days as it can release more fumes when heated

1.0.0 baird's rat snake, jeff 1.0.0 royal, derek 1.0.0 royal, frank 0.1.0 dog jenny 1.0.0 bull snake, ivan 0.1.0 bull snake, mavis 0.1.0 chilean rose, Bernadette 1.0.0 hognose, chuck 1.0.0 BCI, william

my youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/pegrocks
facebook(mention the forum) http://www.facebook.com/?sk=nf#!/profile.php?id=623879643

to live is so startling it leaves little time for anything else
Go to Top of Page

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2011 :  19:37:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well if thats the case, don't think I will bother. I will have to try and find branches from a fruit tree instead.

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.

Go to Top of Page

chrisc
Hatchling

United Kingdom
357 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2011 :  19:47:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the fumes will be gone after a few days of heating. the sticks ive got for my vivs were de-barked and baked in the oven or you can bleach them, theres a post here somwhere about it

1.0.0 baird's rat snake, jeff 1.0.0 royal, derek 1.0.0 royal, frank 0.1.0 dog jenny 1.0.0 bull snake, ivan 0.1.0 bull snake, mavis 0.1.0 chilean rose, Bernadette 1.0.0 hognose, chuck 1.0.0 BCI, william

my youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/pegrocks
facebook(mention the forum) http://www.facebook.com/?sk=nf#!/profile.php?id=623879643

to live is so startling it leaves little time for anything else
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2011 :  19:52:47  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Red123

quote:

I thought I was the only one that had trouble pressing the right keys lol. Couldn't resist sta~ple, hope you don't take it the wrong way.

Been drinking ssssshhhhhhhh

Go to Top of Page

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2011 :  20:13:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Red123

quote:

Been drinking ssssshhhhhhhh

Wondered if you had but didn't like to say.

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.

Edited by - Red123 on 23/08/2011 20:14:29
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000