The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 I'm quite upset, actually...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Bethm01 Posted - 02/08/2011 : 22:20:39
My dad basically doesn't trust me to keep a snake. And says I'd be terrified of them. NOT. I have three phobias, heights, flies and needles. That's IT.
My mum said, I quote: "Over my dead body."

My dads taking me to a reptile shop at the weekend to 'prove his point'. I'm going to prove that I can handle a snake.

It actually upset me that he doesn't trust me...
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Cornsnakeluver127 Posted - 06/08/2011 : 14:50:00
lol my mum was the same so... i wenrt to my dad who bought me my first snake monty!! and my mum agreed over the phone since i told her a million times it isnt venomous and it wouldnt wrap itself around my wriust and cut of my blood serculation :P
chrisc Posted - 04/08/2011 : 20:15:43
have to agree about p@h being no good with reptiles. over heard the idiot in my local one telling a couple looking at a gecko that it was not shedding well so he had to peel its shed off for it!
lotabob Posted - 04/08/2011 : 20:02:42
I bet give or take a few quid a good beardie setup with everything needed, viv, lights, stat, guards, all the different foods, supplements, substrate, bit of foliage and the beardie itself then you would be pushing the £300 mark, add the shopping around delivery charges if you bargain hunted and the everything included route might be a better option, suppose it depends on is everything included.
Katie.Dublin Posted - 04/08/2011 : 19:53:31
Beardies are really fun. But i agree when i say they are more time consuming, and much more expensive than snakes.
Aegis Posted - 04/08/2011 : 11:55:55
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

quote:
Originally posted by Aegis

quote:

Pets at home will whack on the price too and tell you to buy a massive glass set-up... which you wont need.

Nail on the head there! My dad in law was quoted over £300 for a set up today. Absolute poop!! They said he needed all this fancy equipment and a massive Viv! Tried selling it to him today, so he phoned me and asked how much it would be on the net, gave him Surrey pet supplies web addy and was delighted!

PAH are not fully trained staff, gerbils and rabbits - yes. Reptiles - not really. i know a few people who work there and are even scared of chinchillas

Feck beans £300! And I thought my Local petshop was ripping me off for my first snake at £160 :o I think maybe they are pushed to sell though though and can take advantage easy of new reptile owners.

I know i near spat out ma brew when he said it! I was stunned. But iv given him places to go for stuff and he is going to see about a set up. Also reminded him he is in a city, sure there are plenty of breeders close by where he could get a corn from someone more experienced.
Sta~ple Posted - 04/08/2011 : 07:58:13
quote:
Originally posted by Aegis

quote:

Pets at home will whack on the price too and tell you to buy a massive glass set-up... which you wont need.

Nail on the head there! My dad in law was quoted over £300 for a set up today. Absolute poop!! They said he needed all this fancy equipment and a massive Viv! Tried selling it to him today, so he phoned me and asked how much it would be on the net, gave him Surrey pet supplies web addy and was delighted!

PAH are not fully trained staff, gerbils and rabbits - yes. Reptiles - not really. i know a few people who work there and are even scared of chinchillas

Feck beans £300! And I thought my Local petshop was ripping me off for my first snake at £160 :o I think maybe they are pushed to sell though though and can take advantage easy of new reptile owners.
Aegis Posted - 03/08/2011 : 23:43:04
quote:

stotty01 Posted - 03/08/2011 : 22:44:43
quote:
Originally posted by Bethm01

I'm confused now...
He (my dad) did say I could get a Bearded Dragon, though, when we discussed it, and I was in such a bad state and mood that I point blank refused.
Bearded Dragons are actually quite cute.
I don't think I'll get a Corn Snake.
Do you think I should get a Bearded Dragon? They live for around 7-12ish years... that's not too bad.

beardies are more expensive to maintain if im honest, 2 box's of locusts a week when adult then fruit and veg also electric is alot more to run with them, maybe this will help you win them over im 15 and have two snakes and work in a rep shop, if you do your homework and know the commitment then get one. if its gonna be a 1 month thing dont bother
Mamma Posted - 03/08/2011 : 22:39:24
she knew about the thermostat and thermometer needed too tho
lotabob Posted - 03/08/2011 : 22:24:50
Its got a REALLY important bit missing (nothing new there then), a thermostat!
Bethm01 Posted - 03/08/2011 : 22:22:02
I have found a great starter kit online, which will certainly do me for 2-7ish months:
http://www.exotic-pets.co.uk/komodo-basic-hatchling-kit.html
Costs nearly £30 from Net Pet Shop!
Sta~ple Posted - 03/08/2011 : 22:09:12
Bethm01 Posted - 03/08/2011 : 21:49:08
Aegis, that'd be brilliant, so it would!

Thanks, Gmac, I'll tell him to phone in and ask.
gmac Posted - 03/08/2011 : 20:41:19
They didnt last time i was in Bethm01, give them a call see of they have. But is better going to an established rep shop, they are goldfish and furry dealers that send the staff on a quick course to learn about corns.
Aegis Posted - 03/08/2011 : 20:35:36
My father in law was at his local PAH (Inverness) today and he says they are starting to take in Corn snakes next week. He is going back next week to see them. Maybe get one.
Bethm01 Posted - 03/08/2011 : 20:08:15
I was hoping they had them in Pets at Home, but another user (gmac) told me that they don't so I'll just see where my dad takes me...
JackHutchy979 Posted - 03/08/2011 : 19:43:41
Pets at Home Is great for hides at stuff like that but only sell lizards was there earlier today hoping to find snakes but not a one
Bethm01 Posted - 03/08/2011 : 19:35:23
I've made an arrangement about the Uni thing, and if I do well at the weekend I'll be getting a snake in May 2012, I think.
Aegis Posted - 03/08/2011 : 15:06:02
We are looking into getting a gecko for the hubby. He likes Leopard geckos. I said he can have a gecko if i get another corn!

But anyways, make sure you know the pet you REALLY want. Its no use getting one and thinking "kinda wish i got the other" if you get what i mean?

I would do a "pro and con" list of each pet. :) That might help!
Simmy_82 Posted - 03/08/2011 : 14:44:27
Gecko's are quite active lizards. I looked into them at your age too as well as snakes, sadly i waited til i was 29 to get my snake. I kept trophical fish in the mean time, then made the decision last month to finally get a snake!

Crested gecko's i think only eat fruit (again maybe wrong) bannana's i think. The wife loves them.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000