The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Quarantine

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
chrisc Posted - 20/07/2011 : 17:37:43
hey all got a question about Quarantine. im being given a rat snake at the weekend. and as i can only really put the vivs in my bedroom will it be far enough if the vivs are in the opposite corners of the room for Quarantine purpose's?
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
ScalySituation Posted - 14/06/2012 : 19:25:10
okies, i'll see if i can put sonny in the living room
eeji Posted - 14/06/2012 : 19:23:02
a different room is better, as mites can walk huge distances.

A faun is fine, keep the inside as basic as possible (while still catering to the snakes needs of course) so if theres anything wrong its easier to spot (mites, the trots, blood in the poo, etc etc etc)
ScalySituation Posted - 13/06/2012 : 21:17:35
so just like a normal exo terra faun in the same room is k?
eeji Posted - 13/06/2012 : 21:13:09
all you need for quarantine is a secure plastic tub, paper substrate, card box hides, water bowl, heat mat, thermometer and stat. All basic stuff that can be picked up cheaply, put anywhere in the house, and used over and over again for any more new additions :)
lotabob Posted - 13/06/2012 : 20:55:02
quote:
Originally posted by ashby_steve

So basically.... everyone with a viv stack system is screwed

Nope, i have a stack, my new snake is in a tub in a different room, its a temporary thing but will soon be over and I'll have a mat and stat spare for new animals.
ashby_steve Posted - 13/06/2012 : 20:52:09
So basically.... everyone with a viv stack system is screwed
ScalySituation Posted - 13/06/2012 : 20:41:35
if I cant quarantine in different rooms will this stop me from getting more snakeys?
ptmbradley Posted - 20/07/2011 : 21:02:18
My recent boas came with a suspected mite problem so they were kept at the other end of the house and given daily fairy liquid baths for about 10 days. To be fair I don't think the problem was particularly bad to start with, but the baths solved it completely. They are still living under quarantine conditions just because I haven't yet got round to pimping their homes, but I haven't seen any sign of mites for ages. A former member and friend of mine did the fairy liquid thing for her snakes and it worked for her too.
chrisc Posted - 20/07/2011 : 20:21:00
yea seems like a very good natural way to get rid of mites.
whats ardap?
gingerpony Posted - 20/07/2011 : 20:16:43
i really do like the idea of hypoaspis mites, and i'd really love to think that that was the way to go if we ever got an infestation...............but Ardap, all hail the Ardap god!
chrisc Posted - 20/07/2011 : 20:09:36
just had a read through it and a post on the royal forum. not feeling the frontline idea personally but the fairy liquid bath sounds good and hypoaspis mites seems like a really good idea if i do encounter a mite problem
gmac Posted - 20/07/2011 : 19:53:00
definately, there is a sticky about oil baths in the health section just incase
chrisc Posted - 20/07/2011 : 19:24:30
im being given just the snake so will have a sterelized viv or rub waiting for it and will be picking in up in a steralized tub with lid. will check for signs of mites when i collect it, if i see any signs would be best to give it a bath before putting it in the viv?
gmac Posted - 20/07/2011 : 19:14:48
quote:
Originally posted by Katie.Dublin

quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

if that's as far as your quarantine procedures can go then that's all you can do
though it certainly won't be effective against mites, airborn bacteria or viruses and the like

Mites? How so? 2 closed vivs 15ft apart?!

they are closed vivs not totally sealed so the mites can and do get in. Mites can travel massive distances so 15 ft is pretty much nothing.
Katie.Dublin Posted - 20/07/2011 : 19:04:56
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

if that's as far as your quarantine procedures can go then that's all you can do
though it certainly won't be effective against mites, airborn bacteria or viruses and the like

Mites? How so? 2 closed vivs 15ft apart?!
gingerpony Posted - 20/07/2011 : 18:46:28
chrisc Posted - 20/07/2011 : 18:43:38
think my room is about 10ft x 15ft ish maybe more and they will be in separate corners
gmac Posted - 20/07/2011 : 18:40:07
ideally it should be in different rooms to stop airborne nasties passing between snakes, its not just about good hygiene between animals. If you dont have the space best making do with what you can and keeping them as far as possible from each other
chrisc Posted - 20/07/2011 : 18:39:33
was planning on getting a couple of bottles of that an put one on each viv so its right infront of me
Katie.Dublin Posted - 20/07/2011 : 18:36:07
Should be ok.. Correct me if im wrong but so long as there's pleanty of hand sanitiser being used between handling etc you shouldnt have a prob.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000