The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Lost tail :(

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Chez Posted - 15/06/2011 : 18:02:34
My snakie shed last night, so i come home to inspect her shed to make sure everything came off, and it turns out EVERYTHING came off, including 0.5Cm of her tail tip. i feel so sorry for her but i know she'll be alright Just thought i would share that
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
gingerpony Posted - 18/06/2011 : 21:12:05
i've no idea, he was just a numpty owner poor baby hadn't eaten anything for a week and barely drunk anything either, they just thought it didn't like whatever he'd chucked in for it...

some morphs it's definitely more difficult to see when they're in blue or if they have any retained shed which is why careful inspection of the shed skin and the snake is vital.
Sta~ple Posted - 18/06/2011 : 15:34:36
Out of interest those with various morphs, is it harder to see with snows and other lighter coloured snakes rather than something like a normal? I find it difficult sometimes to see on my normal after a fresh shed, I have to actually check the shed sometimes and then really look hard when I have used a flannel to try and take the very tip off as it is only normally the one very end scale. I would imagine without looking at the shed it would be impossible to tell with some light coloured snakes.

That is truely shocking GP :o did he like know rabbit food existed or did he think it was just something you can use?
gingerpony Posted - 18/06/2011 : 08:36:13
with the internet it's sooooo very easy to find out this information, i don't think ignorance should be an excuse with animal welfare.

last year we had a bloke and his 2 kids come into work with a baby rabbit he'd bought them for an easter present, he'd just been feeding it table scraps not proper rabbit food and the poor thing was half dead and so emaciated it had to be put to sleep his denfence was 'the bloke on the market stall [that sold him the rabbit] didn't tell him it needed to eat rabbit food'
LynneM_212 Posted - 17/06/2011 : 16:01:41
I think mistakes can happen, and if its a first snake, then even more so, i can see why people are getting upset... but i can also see how this has happened, and atleast they were honest... and atleast the snake is ok!!

My first snake Kchalice shed bad but differently every time!! first time she shed fine to her tummy and then i helped with the rest... second she shed really bad!! and i had to get the whole head off!!

Last time she shed better but still had to get the lower end off,

and i still struggled whether i had got the tail shed off or not.. sometimes i feel its really hard to see... and i was seeing things in this case because the tail shed deff came off!!

Luckily my other snake sheds fine!!

But i do always panick every time Kchalice sheds because im scared of missing something !! i check the shed like 10 times !! every time!
tarotpodge Posted - 17/06/2011 : 12:48:42
nice idea lotabob. Phoenix shed in pieces yesturday(normally her sheds are fine). Eye caps are off but few mm left on the tail. Been watching her and she has been doing the exact same thing you have said by herself...clever snake...If its not off 2moz then will give it a soak.
scottishbluebird Posted - 17/06/2011 : 01:31:26
Spot is really gorgeous! I have told my son about this thread, and he actually listened!
lotabob Posted - 16/06/2011 : 22:09:24
This is how I deal with Spot's retained tail tips, its quick, easy and so far has worked straight away.

I get a bowl and put a tiny bit of tepid water in the bottom, then let Spot move through it. It barely covers any of his body but his tail is fully submerged.

Then just let him move through my hands, not squeezing or picking at him but using my hand to create a tiny bit of resistence, and hey presto, the tip comes away.

Now it does have to be said that I don't interfere straight away I allow him time to try shed all by himself. Only when he has given up would I give him a helping hand. You could leave it and try damp hides etc but I like to just get things fixed.

Mamma Posted - 16/06/2011 : 17:16:12
quote:
Originally posted by kdlang

Maybe this thread could be used to remind new owners about the need to double check tail tips and if in doubt ask on here with maybe some photos of snake and shed

^^ this. xx
kdlang Posted - 16/06/2011 : 17:14:49
I struggle sometimes to see if the tail tip is on the sheds of mine especially if it has gone inside out a bit so i do 2 safety checks. 1 use a blunt needle inserted into the shed gently to see if there is any resistance hence the tip being present. 2 a damp tissue run along the tail just to see if any comes off or if it makes some retained shed noticable.

I have 2 snakes with stumpy tails, both were like it when I got them. It doesn't cause them any problems now although I could imagine it being rather uncomfortable at the time. As much as I feel that this is something that need not happen, in peoples defence if they get a snake where the tail tip already has retained shed, and it is hard to tell, the new owner may think this is normal for the snake, like a couple of mine that have dark coloured tips through natural colouring. If its the new owners first snake and they have nothing to compare it to they may not realise there is a problem until it's too late.

Maybe this thread could be used to remind new owners about the need to double check tail tips and if in doubt ask on here with maybe some photos of snake and shed
Mort13 Posted - 16/06/2011 : 16:56:00
I always check mine after each one. I spent a while treating Sabai for a retained shed on his tail the other week as it looked different on a photo only to find it was the way the sunlight had hit his tail. Good job he's a sweetie.
gingerpony Posted - 16/06/2011 : 10:45:20
for those saying 'oh my snake's tail tip dropped off too' if you'd had the snake some time then it's nothing to be proud of!!!
Sta~ple Posted - 16/06/2011 : 08:59:26
I have to check the tip of the tail when my guys shed, I think the tail ends normally go black/red but it's impossible to see this on all my snakes as they all have black tail tips due to being entirely black or because of natural coloring so I check, same with eyes. So I always check the shed and the snake.
Diesel1994 Posted - 16/06/2011 : 00:24:20
my snakes tail end fell off, nothing to worry about, if it bleeds, dip it in some cold, black tea, its a natural antiseptic so will minimise any risks of infection
Spreebok Posted - 15/06/2011 : 21:02:44
quote:
Originally posted by Mamma
I think shes angry because of what has been said above. It would take a number of bad sheds to get to the point that the tail would fall off. It is avoidable.

Ah, I see! Musta skimmed over that! Not good!
Mamma Posted - 15/06/2011 : 20:59:33
quote:
Originally posted by Spreebok

quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

quote:
Originally posted by Chez

nope its about her 4th or 5th shed, ive had her since september :(

Why the rage face GP?

I think shes angry because of what has been said above. It would take a number of bad sheds to get to the point that the tail would fall off. It is avoidable.
Spreebok Posted - 15/06/2011 : 20:55:47
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

quote:

Why the rage face GP?
lotabob Posted - 15/06/2011 : 20:54:41
This is the reason its really important to check for the eye caps and tail tips after a shed. It helps prevent totally avoidable situations. You won't find that you get 1 bad shed and 1 retained tail tip and then the tail will fall off, it will take several retained sheds and as the snake grows it will slowly cut off the blood supply to the tail tip as its constricted by the dead skin.

Spot has retained his tail tip the last 2 sheds and it was pretty easy to see, both on the shed skin and on the tail itself. Its easily solved with a damp towel or if its been a bit more stubborn a damp hide or a bath should help loosen the stuck shed.
gingerpony Posted - 15/06/2011 : 20:34:33
quote:

scottishbluebird Posted - 15/06/2011 : 19:32:52
Awww what a shame, but as a lesson to others like me, i will make sure next time i check Kellogs.
HannahB Posted - 15/06/2011 : 19:16:59
the tip of the tail generally tends to fall off after repeatedly bad sheds - the shed that sticks eventually acts as a tourniquet preventing the tail from growing as the rest of the body is and so the blood supply is cut off and it too then dies and falls off, it happened with my libs (though just to point out the damage had already been done when I got her) and has happened to a few people on here - Gaz1989 had it happen to Stella his snow corn, it doesn't affect them in any way

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000