The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 selling

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Siobhan3794 Posted - 05/06/2011 : 21:57:09
does anyone know how much snake eggs or baby snakes sell for?
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
gingerpony Posted - 08/06/2011 : 21:12:48
but if you're selling to a shop they pretty much dictate the price as the market is so flooded......selling privately you can ask what you want for it but you might end up stuck with it for some time, and then end up taking literally peanuts for it despite you housing, heating, feeding and providing for it during that time
SexyBear77 Posted - 08/06/2011 : 21:03:50
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

quote:
Originally posted by SexyBear77

At the end of the day, is ANY snake, even a normal corn, *really* worth only £5??

unfortunately they're worth what people will pay for them and if that's £5 then it's £5, if i didn't accept the price that was offered i'd more than likely be stuck with the damn things!!

if a breeder wants to grow-on their homebred stock then that's an investment, and not one that everyone can or wants to afford

But what is a fiver to most people? I mean, anyone buying a snake should be able to pay for the setup, heating, food, vets bills etc etc for possibly up to 20 years..... its not the buyer not being able to afford the snake, its the buyer being damn cheeky- personally, I'd tell them where to go.

People only think they can get snakes for £5 because they CAN get snakes for £5- why? Because someone, somewhere, has sold that species/snake for £5. If all breeders set a minimum average price then there wouldn't be this growing problem of snakes going for next to nothing, or having to be given away for free.

If I bred nice snows, I would advertise for at least £20- but if someone else is selling for £5 then, realistically, I can't and won't sell. If there was only a couple of quid in it, then imo the market for sellers would be much healthier.
Only1Nitro Posted - 08/06/2011 : 13:28:12
i payed 40 for my normal and the shop i got her from loves normals and would take them all day long, he also pays £5 and sells for 40
gingerpony Posted - 08/06/2011 : 10:26:44
quote:
Originally posted by SexyBear77

At the end of the day, is ANY snake, even a normal corn, *really* worth only £5??

unfortunately they're worth what people will pay for them and if that's £5 then it's £5, if i didn't accept the price that was offered i'd more than likely be stuck with the damn things!!

if a breeder wants to grow-on their homebred stock then that's an investment, and not one that everyone can or wants to afford
MsThomson Posted - 08/06/2011 : 09:37:32
the amels, anerys, snows at my local petshop are 40, the others start at 65. This is for hatchlings and adults. *plus a really nice pastel royal for £150 but its looksy no touchy for me....damn this expensive house move!
SexyBear77 Posted - 08/06/2011 : 09:37:17
See, the problem is that with breeders pricing snows at £5 or £10 everyone is pricing each other out of the market!! If all breeders were consistent and "average" with their prices, eg: snows being worth, on average, £25-£30, then that is was people will pay. I would happily pay £20+ for a nice snow, but if I could get said nice snow for a fiver, who am I kidding, I would buy it.

Mort13 Posted - 08/06/2011 : 09:11:18
Hatchie normals,amels,snows and anerys are all £45 at my local pet shop.
The thing is people will spend that much on them,I did lol. Obviously knowing what I know now and finding good recommended breeders of them I wouldn't again,but in the case of my first snake I knew no better.
I have to say Loki was worth every penny though.
gingerpony Posted - 08/06/2011 : 08:26:17
in defence of the shops (but only up to a point!! lol).......
they do have considerable overheads and they may be stuck with the hatchies for a considerable time which all costs them more money
ptmbradley Posted - 07/06/2011 : 23:42:35
Some insane profit margins going on in some places!!! Might have to open me up a snake shop... lol
gingerpony Posted - 07/06/2011 : 20:36:56
same here, £5 each for anerys and snows though i don't think they sell with quite as much mark-up as your local eej!
eeji Posted - 07/06/2011 : 20:18:42
a very well respected shop near me offered me £5 each for amels and snows last year, they are selling them at £65 :(
Invalid User Posted - 07/06/2011 : 16:12:23
Petshop where I got Nimbus still has normals for £60 and amels for £70 :o (yes I paid £60 for my first ever coen, a normal lol)

He seems to have no trouble selling them at that price too which is odd as CPR is only an tram and bus ride away and they sell them at half that price but I guess people are lazy lol

He must be making a huge profit as he certainly wont be paying any where near that price when he buys them!!!
Sta~ple Posted - 07/06/2011 : 15:54:38
quote:
Originally posted by ptmbradley

I paid £30 for my normal a couple of months ago from a reptile shop. The nearest place to me is now selling them for £40. And there is another place near me trying to sell normals for £65!! I did mention to them that they've got 2 hopes, and it ain't Bob! lol

o.O;;; my gawd are they older though instead of younguns? I've seen shops trying to sell normal adults at £65 and when it doesn't work then soon go dwon the £35... :( I think they will become reduced very soon when everyones hatchlings hatch...
ptmbradley Posted - 07/06/2011 : 15:52:36
Yeah they did say they had to charge more because their breeder was charging them more. So why buy them? Surely you know they're just not going to sell at that price?? Feel so sorry for the snakes coz they are going to be living in tiny little tubs with very little comfort for a very long time I think...

Seems the going shop rate for normals round these parts is £30-£40. Cheaper to cut out the middle man and buy direct from a breeder obviously.
gingerpony Posted - 07/06/2011 : 15:42:42
that shop's making a MAHOOSIVE profit then!! i know how much i've been offered in the past for mine!!
ptmbradley Posted - 07/06/2011 : 15:37:17
I paid £30 for my normal a couple of months ago from a reptile shop. The nearest place to me is now selling them for £40. And there is another place near me trying to sell normals for £65!! I did mention to them that they've got 2 hopes, and it ain't Bob! lol
Sta~ple Posted - 07/06/2011 : 13:36:53
quote:

and there's the share in Charmin (or any other kitchen roll brand) that you need.......damn messy hatchies needing cleaning out every day........

Or more if they fancy knocking over or taking a dip in the water bowl or moving the loo rolls into it... grrrrr XD

I cannot remember how much it cost me for mine though, I only had 7 babies and it costs more than I though, and that was with using loo rolls and takeway tubs/feeder tubs, bottle caps and loo roll.

Although you could sell the eggs to a petshop, you would get half the money that they sell them for if they can shift them or even want them :(
Invalid User Posted - 07/06/2011 : 13:09:51
quote:

and there's the share in Charmin (or any other kitchen roll brand) that you need.......damn messy hatchies needing cleaning out every day........

Funny you should say that about the kitchen roll!

I'm considering now switching mine to Megazorb (I buy it anyway for the mice) as using even cheap brand shops own kitchen roll is starting to work out quite pricey.
gmac Posted - 07/06/2011 : 12:55:00
quote:
Originally posted by Diesel1994

id think you may get a few snows aswell, because amel cannot produce black pigment and anery cannot produce any reds, put them together and you get snakes that cannot produce any pigment (snow), i think, please correct me if i am wrong

amel x anery = normals het for both, To get snows out both snakes would have to have both amel and anery genes, its not impossibole though as both these genes are probably the most common.
Diesel1994 Posted - 07/06/2011 : 12:51:30
id think you may get a few snows aswell, because amel cannot produce black pigment and anery cannot produce any reds, put them together and you get snakes that cannot produce any pigment (snow), i think, please correct me if i am wrong

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000