The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 thinking about getting a boa

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
cammy Posted - 22/05/2011 : 15:44:12
hi im thing about getting a common boa and i was wondering if they are the right snake to have.what type of temperment do they have.what size should i start of with and what sex male or female i dont really want to be worry about the female laying her eggs and do the grow faster than a corn snake. if there is anythingi have forgoten please say.thanks.
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Only1Nitro Posted - 24/05/2011 : 07:47:59
my oh wants a boa so all she is doing is research, ie breeding cycle, eating habits, temps, growth, humidity, how to handle amongst other things and most importantly what to do if things start to go wrong whilst handling.
cammy Posted - 23/05/2011 : 10:05:57

Out of interest though, what do you mean by 'are they the right snake to have'??

i mean are they a kind or a calm snake to handle and keep but im gonna leave it now because you lot said they are far too strong
mikerichards Posted - 23/05/2011 : 00:19:40
quote:
Originally posted by cammy

hi im thing about getting a common boa and i was wondering if they are the right snake to have.what type of temperment do they have.what size should i start of with and what sex male or female i dont really want to be worry about the female laying her eggs and do the grow faster than a corn snake. if there is anythingi have forgoten please say.thanks.

Out of interest though, what do you mean by 'are they the right snake to have'??

Having started keeping and breeding snakes as a kid, younger than you, i am very much of the persuasion that young kids should not keep potentially large bodied snakes, including boas, burms, retics etc.
They are far far stronger than you are, and will hit 6ft + before you will.
Laws Posted - 22/05/2011 : 22:33:16
im still doing alot of research on boa's have gathered alot of info over the past month , arent getting one until afer septemer and im still constantly finding out about localities , and what both myself and other half will be comfy with . trying to find someone who owns a few adults local so i can handle them etc . As all the other half said , do plenty of research first before getting one
cammy Posted - 22/05/2011 : 17:58:42
o ok i will get the vivarium set up first thanks
a33272 Posted - 22/05/2011 : 17:58:18
love the vid of kelf think we can see which of them 2 was in charge there
Invalid User Posted - 22/05/2011 : 17:54:07
quote:
Originally posted by cammy

quote:
Originally posted by Spreebok

quote:
but i cant find much corns with vivarium wierd

What? You mean, you cant find a cornsnake that comes with a vivarium?

yes i cant find a corn with a vivarium

It's funny, all my corns but one came without vivariums too!!

lotabob Posted - 22/05/2011 : 17:42:30
You can buy them individually! In fact its actually better to get the vivarium, have it set up and running well and then get a snake to put in it.
cammy Posted - 22/05/2011 : 17:39:24
quote:
Originally posted by Spreebok

quote:

yes i cant find a corn with a vivarium
cammy Posted - 22/05/2011 : 17:38:41
quote:
Originally posted by Mamma

you have a viv already esp if you are gonna sell your existing corn. Why you sellin it anyway? If you are just gonna stick to corns whats wrong with the one you have? xx

ye i no im keeping my corn and getting another corn
Mamma Posted - 22/05/2011 : 17:27:23
you have a viv already esp if you are gonna sell your existing corn. Why you sellin it anyway? If you are just gonna stick to corns whats wrong with the one you have? xx
Spreebok Posted - 22/05/2011 : 16:56:10
quote:

cammy Posted - 22/05/2011 : 16:22:06
well i will leave the boa for now then lol i might just get another corn snake but i cant find much corns with vivarium wierd any way thanks for the replys and have a good day
ptmbradley Posted - 22/05/2011 : 16:14:07
research, research, research. I know very little about them myself, but I'm pretty sure you wouldn't want a snake that size without knowing as much as you possibly can about what you were taking on. But I wouldn't worry about the egg laying though...
lotabob Posted - 22/05/2011 : 16:13:39
They do have attitude thats for sure. They also seem to have a level of intelligence I've not seen in the corn snake or even the royal for that matter, they have very expressive eyes that seem to show they are thinking stuff through. They are beautiful snakes and I'm glad I have one but I did a lot of research to find the right one(its not a common, i wouldn't have been able to handle a common, I live alone, I have a Hogg Island Boa, they get big but rarely exceed 6 feet).
Invalid User Posted - 22/05/2011 : 16:08:28
I have a few boas now and they are in no way like corn snakes.

They are big, strong, clever and can have plenty of attitude.

You will need to do alot of research as you clearly know very little about them.

lotabob Posted - 22/05/2011 : 16:03:16
quote:
Originally posted by gmac

I really wouldnt be concerned in any way about a boa laying eggs.

You've a lot of research to do before your ready for a Boa.

They get quite large, and are incredibly strong, as adults they require a large vivarium (or RUB though not my cup of tea) and once they exceed 6 feet it is advisable to only handle them when you have someone with you.

This is Kelfezond from TRP's Boa for an idea on their size and handling. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiG64K3hYVQ and they can and do get bigger than this. I'm sure Kelfezond won't mind me saying that even with a puppy tame Boa as in this video they are a handful and you've basically just to guide them as making them do what you want is almost impossible.
cammy Posted - 22/05/2011 : 16:00:37
ye i no most sites dont tell you much so i wanted to hear it from some one who has got a boa and can tell me what a need
Invalid User Posted - 22/05/2011 : 15:57:48
You need to do aload of research judging by your post!!
gmac Posted - 22/05/2011 : 15:51:05
have a look at this site is very good for info http://www.jnb-boas.co.uk/index.htm and have a look at the caresheet.

I really wouldnt be concerned in any way about a boa laying eggs.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000