The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Found my next BABY!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
snowstripe420 Posted - 13/05/2011 : 17:04:50
So i mozzied in to the local exotic shop yesterday to pick up some hoppers. While the kid was in the back packaging them up i took a glance at the new snakes that they got in recently. I fell in LOVE with a beautiful Brazilian Rainbow Boa! He/she had the most amazing colors and shine on her scales! The poor thing is about 2.5 feet long and in a small 20inch enclosure with no hides :( . The snake is a very pretty penny at 300$ canadian. I will have the money for him/her in a few days. I have a 30inch tank for him, aspen substrate, lots two climb on. heat mat and so on. Few questions though!!!!

He had some remaining shed around his head when I saw him last. Could this be a continuous problem? I know that the Brazilian like humidity to be around 70% so maybe thats the problem. Should i wait to see it shed again before i buy it, or just find out if its a regular problem?

Question 2- Currently i have my heat mat plugged into the stat and the probe and thermometer probe on the mat. If i plug a second mat into the stat, how will it know when to turn that one off without a sensor on the second mat? do i need another stat?
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
snowstripe420 Posted - 15/05/2011 : 21:32:53
I found a breeder up island that is highly recommended. im going to go that route. Unfortunate for that snake. He will most likey go blind if she doesnt act quickly.. Not to mention the mouth infection...
stotty01 Posted - 15/05/2011 : 11:49:12
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BpSoHhsHGU this has some great ways to get the shed off :)
Kehhlyr Posted - 15/05/2011 : 03:15:07
I have since seen that, however my original statement above still stands.
Invalid User Posted - 15/05/2011 : 00:00:00
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

Good laugh on the first few posts of this thread.
Just because a snake has some retained shed on it, doesn't mean it's poorly looked after in the shop or needs reporting.

If that was the case then surely many people are evidently housing snakes wrong due to some having retained shed.
My boa had retained shed on his tail tip, I shall await the visit from rspca.

As it stands Snowstripe420, it's totally up to you. BRB's are cracking looking snakes and you'll know your local shop better than anyone on here I'd imagine, so ignore opinions about it and make your own choice.

True although if you look at the thread in the health section it would appear the snake is not well at all and is not kept in great conditions
Kehhlyr Posted - 14/05/2011 : 23:57:16
Good laugh on the first few posts of this thread.
Just because a snake has some retained shed on it, doesn't mean it's poorly looked after in the shop or needs reporting.

If that was the case then surely many people are evidently housing snakes wrong due to some having retained shed.
My boa had retained shed on his tail tip, I shall await the visit from rspca.

As it stands Snowstripe420, it's totally up to you. BRB's are cracking looking snakes and you'll know your local shop better than anyone on here I'd imagine, so ignore opinions about it and make your own choice.
snowstripe420 Posted - 14/05/2011 : 20:27:33
do you prefer the paper towel over the moss? Cheap, easy to clean and holds moisture well.
Invalid User Posted - 14/05/2011 : 17:27:26
This was when I had the whole base covered with moss:

This is how I have it now and as you can see, humidity is good.

Here's the gorgeous girl :)

snowstripe420 Posted - 14/05/2011 : 16:47:07
pics?
Invalid User Posted - 14/05/2011 : 10:45:08
quote:
Originally posted by ptmbradley

Think I'd be using kitchen roll too Louise if I had as many snakes as you! lol

lol

I did try coconut fibre which was great for humidity but far too messy for my liking.

Also tried using the damp moss as substrate for the whole rub but had mould issues.

This way I'm doing it now has worked great
ptmbradley Posted - 14/05/2011 : 00:04:45
Think I'd be using kitchen roll too Louise if I had as many snakes as you! lol
Invalid User Posted - 13/05/2011 : 21:54:41
I use kitchen roll substrate :)

I have a large tub/hide in the warm end with damp moss in it. Water bowl is also on the warm end.
ptmbradley Posted - 13/05/2011 : 21:53:22
quote:
Originally posted by Louise32

I use multiple mats on one stat :)

I bought my brb from a very good private breeder and paid £80 :)

I emailed that same breeder a while back but unfortunately I didn't get a reply til yesterday, which was a bit too late!

I have 1 stat running 2 mats without any probs. Just don't have control of the 2nd one, but as the 2 setups are identical there isn't a problem.
ptmbradley Posted - 13/05/2011 : 21:49:05
quote:
Originally posted by lotabob

I see your planning to use aspen. as far as I rememebr its not great in high humidity setups, orchid bark is a better substrate for humid setups although its a bit messy it looks good too.

Well spotted that man. Yes, aspen isn't the best to use for a humid setup. Also a water bowl with a large surface area will help with humidity. I also have sphagnum moss in one corner with a hide on top, which seems to be where the baron seems to spend most of his time! He is currently in an 18 litre rub and temps are fine and humidity hovers between 85-90%
lotabob Posted - 13/05/2011 : 21:10:59
I see your planning to use aspen. as far as I rememebr its not great in high humidity setups, orchid bark is a better substrate for humid setups although its a bit messy it looks good too.
Invalid User Posted - 13/05/2011 : 20:31:35
Right, and I said that I use a rub, not a viv so can't use a ceramic! :p
Oh How Original Posted - 13/05/2011 : 20:23:13
I said 2x2...
Vivarium not RUB lol, even I'm not that stupid....
Invalid User Posted - 13/05/2011 : 20:11:38
So you would use a ceramic heater in a rub??
Oh How Original Posted - 13/05/2011 : 20:04:22
Can get ceramics on a 2x2 lol.
And well if you manage to get good humidity then good on you.
Just my personal preference
Invalid User Posted - 13/05/2011 : 19:03:47
I get humidity great with a heatmat under a rub.

I personally wouldnt put a brb hatchling straight into a viv and you cant use a ceramic in a rub lol

One in a viv when bigger she will have a ceramic but right now temps hold great as does humidity.
Oh How Original Posted - 13/05/2011 : 19:01:45
£80 sound's closer to the ones I was looking at from a breeder at between £80-120 he had them for sale at depending on sharpness and colour etc...
But yeah you can run several mats off one stat provided the stat is high enough power.
I have a 600w stat so could run quite a few mats off it.
It depends on that mainly.
But then again if I was going to buy a BRB and this is just personal preference, I'd go for ceramic heating, then it's easier to control and you can achieve the correct humidity easier.
But that's just me.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000