Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

snowstripe420
Egg

Canada
81 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2011 :  17:04:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So i mozzied in to the local exotic shop yesterday to pick up some hoppers. While the kid was in the back packaging them up i took a glance at the new snakes that they got in recently. I fell in LOVE with a beautiful Brazilian Rainbow Boa! He/she had the most amazing colors and shine on her scales! The poor thing is about 2.5 feet long and in a small 20inch enclosure with no hides :( . The snake is a very pretty penny at 300$ canadian. I will have the money for him/her in a few days. I have a 30inch tank for him, aspen substrate, lots two climb on. heat mat and so on. Few questions though!!!!

He had some remaining shed around his head when I saw him last. Could this be a continuous problem? I know that the Brazilian like humidity to be around 70% so maybe thats the problem. Should i wait to see it shed again before i buy it, or just find out if its a regular problem?

Question 2- Currently i have my heat mat plugged into the stat and the probe and thermometer probe on the mat. If i plug a second mat into the stat, how will it know when to turn that one off without a sensor on the second mat? do i need another stat?

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2011 :  17:22:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I personally would not buy a snake that looked in bad condition or that wasn't kept in the right conditions.

Petshops like that should be avoided. You hand over the money then you are helping them to purchase more snakes to treat badly and sell on at ridiculous prices.

Anyway, here is a link the the rainbow boa forum. Loads of great advice there. I own a brb and they are gorgeous snakes.

http://www.therainbowboa.co.uk/forum/default.asp
Go to Top of Page

snowstripe420
Egg

Canada
81 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2011 :  17:44:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The thing is about this store, is they treat there animals better than any shop i have been to! All the snakes are seperatly housed, which seems to be a big problem around here. The vivs are always clean and well kept. i would imagine it would get a little pricey to have to pay 10$ per thermometer for 50 snakes, and on top of stats and substrate. Its hard to make money and buisness. And persoanlly, id like to see this shop stick around.

Go to Top of Page

Oh How Original
Yearling

United Kingdom
591 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2011 :  18:24:33  Show Profile  Click to see Oh How Original's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Please don't take this the wrong way, or offensive to you, but if a shop can't afford the proper set ups and things, they simply shouldn't go into business, best thing to do is report the shop...
On the topic though, I would visit the site Louise gave you, you'll find eveything you need to know on there
Also, $300 seems a bit high for a BRB that's fairly small at that.
I'd shop around a little more if I was you.

When on the Forums, always be nice, stick to the rules and help when you can.
1.0.0 Normal Royal - Ronald.
1.0.0 Carpet Python - Magic.
1.0.0 Amel Corn - Pendulum.
1.0.0 Anery Corn - Chilli.
0.1.0 Snow Corn - Wormsle.
0.1.0 California King x Mexican Black - Lucy.
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko - Bear.
Go to Top of Page

ptmbradley
Yearling

United Kingdom
676 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2011 :  18:31:28  Show Profile  Visit ptmbradley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I paid the equivalent for 220 Canadian for mine, which is the same size. Dunno about the shed bit, but yes you'll need another stat if you want control of a 2nd mat, otherwise the 2 mats will just cut off at the same time.

Corns: 1.1 Anery, 1.1 Butter, 1.0 Carolina, 0.1 Hypo, 1.1 Snow, 1.0 Sunkissed
Boas: 0.1 Arabesque, 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow, 0.1 Crawl Cay, 1.1 Hogg Island X, 0.1 Hypo Hogg, 0.1 Kahl Albino (poss coral)

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2011 :  18:58:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use multiple mats on one stat :)

I bought my brb from a very good private breeder and paid £80 :)

Edited by - Invalid User on 13/05/2011 18:58:20
Go to Top of Page

Oh How Original
Yearling

United Kingdom
591 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2011 :  19:01:45  Show Profile  Click to see Oh How Original's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
£80 sound's closer to the ones I was looking at from a breeder at between £80-120 he had them for sale at depending on sharpness and colour etc...
But yeah you can run several mats off one stat provided the stat is high enough power.
I have a 600w stat so could run quite a few mats off it.
It depends on that mainly.
But then again if I was going to buy a BRB and this is just personal preference, I'd go for ceramic heating, then it's easier to control and you can achieve the correct humidity easier.
But that's just me.

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2011 :  19:03:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I get humidity great with a heatmat under a rub.

I personally wouldnt put a brb hatchling straight into a viv and you cant use a ceramic in a rub lol

One in a viv when bigger she will have a ceramic but right now temps hold great as does humidity.
Go to Top of Page

Oh How Original
Yearling

United Kingdom
591 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2011 :  20:04:22  Show Profile  Click to see Oh How Original's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Can get ceramics on a 2x2 lol.
And well if you manage to get good humidity then good on you.
Just my personal preference

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2011 :  20:11:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So you would use a ceramic heater in a rub??
Go to Top of Page

Oh How Original
Yearling

United Kingdom
591 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2011 :  20:23:13  Show Profile  Click to see Oh How Original's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I said 2x2...
Vivarium not RUB lol, even I'm not that stupid....

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2011 :  20:31:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right, and I said that I use a rub, not a viv so can't use a ceramic! :p
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2011 :  21:10:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see your planning to use aspen. as far as I rememebr its not great in high humidity setups, orchid bark is a better substrate for humid setups although its a bit messy it looks good too.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

ptmbradley
Yearling

United Kingdom
676 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2011 :  21:49:05  Show Profile  Visit ptmbradley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lotabob

I see your planning to use aspen. as far as I rememebr its not great in high humidity setups, orchid bark is a better substrate for humid setups although its a bit messy it looks good too.

Well spotted that man. Yes, aspen isn't the best to use for a humid setup. Also a water bowl with a large surface area will help with humidity. I also have sphagnum moss in one corner with a hide on top, which seems to be where the baron seems to spend most of his time! He is currently in an 18 litre rub and temps are fine and humidity hovers between 85-90%

Boas: 0.1 Arabesque, 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow, 0.1 Crawl Cay, 1.1 Hogg Island X, 0.1 Hypo Hogg, 0.1 Kahl Albino (poss coral)

Go to Top of Page

ptmbradley
Yearling

United Kingdom
676 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2011 :  21:53:22  Show Profile  Visit ptmbradley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Louise32

I use multiple mats on one stat :)

I bought my brb from a very good private breeder and paid £80 :)

I emailed that same breeder a while back but unfortunately I didn't get a reply til yesterday, which was a bit too late!

I have 1 stat running 2 mats without any probs. Just don't have control of the 2nd one, but as the 2 setups are identical there isn't a problem.

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2011 :  21:54:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use kitchen roll substrate :)

I have a large tub/hide in the warm end with damp moss in it. Water bowl is also on the warm end.
Go to Top of Page

ptmbradley
Yearling

United Kingdom
676 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2011 :  00:04:45  Show Profile  Visit ptmbradley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Think I'd be using kitchen roll too Louise if I had as many snakes as you! lol

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2011 :  10:45:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ptmbradley

Think I'd be using kitchen roll too Louise if I had as many snakes as you! lol

lol

I did try coconut fibre which was great for humidity but far too messy for my liking.

Also tried using the damp moss as substrate for the whole rub but had mould issues.

This way I'm doing it now has worked great
Go to Top of Page

snowstripe420
Egg

Canada
81 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2011 :  16:47:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
pics?

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2011 :  17:27:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This was when I had the whole base covered with moss:

This is how I have it now and as you can see, humidity is good.

Here's the gorgeous girl :)

Go to Top of Page

snowstripe420
Egg

Canada
81 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2011 :  20:27:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
do you prefer the paper towel over the moss? Cheap, easy to clean and holds moisture well.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000