The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Taming your new snake..

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
rubberbiscuit Posted - 30/04/2011 : 01:17:49
anybody got any inspirational stories about taming their corn snakes??
I got Kiora out for the first time the other day and I dont think he was very amused!! Lots of hissing and trying to escape, (oh and he gave me heart failure by hiding under the kitchen towels making me think he had escaped!).
I expect it will take a couple of months for him to settle, esp with some noisy dogs around. Although TBH I was very tentative picking him up, I was worried I would drop him or hurt him. I dont know how much he was handled coz although he is 8mths he was from a pet shop.
So....how often should I be handling him?? (I dont want to annoy him!)
and how long did it take your corn snakes to settle down??
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kehhlyr Posted - 30/04/2011 : 13:51:41
It's just regular handling, for a few mins a day (aside from the 48 hours after feeding) that will slowly calm it down.
Unfortunately no snake ever becomes tame, they just tolerate the handling.
I've had snakes that have taken 2 weeks to get them more tolerant, others are still a bit flighty sometimes now after a year.
Ailsa Posted - 30/04/2011 : 08:50:25
Well I've had Dakota now for 3 weeks and she's just over 3 months old, she's still settling in and hiding and apart from trying to eat my finger a few times when changing her water first few times she's been good as gold, no hissing, tail rattling or biting, she is a wee bit flighty st first when i take her out but soon settles and slithers all through my fingers.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000