The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 uneaten mice?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ptmbradley Posted - 24/04/2011 : 14:36:11
Hi, was just wondering what people do with uneaten mice. I haven't had any problems yet but it's bound to happen sooner or later. I'm guessing like any other meat it shouldn't be re-frozen. But could you keep it in the fridge and try again a couple of days later, or is it best to just get rid of it and defrost another one at next feed?
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
ravensgirl Posted - 27/04/2011 : 13:31:49
quote:
Originally posted by ptmbradley

quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

addict!!!

My name is Peter and I'm addicted to snakes...

Only a few short weeks ago I didn't have that much interest in the flippin' things. Now I got 3 of the little blighters! lol

If only I hadn't gone out that day to get parrot food and overheard a conversation about corns...

LMAO

If only I hadn't done the same
ptmbradley Posted - 25/04/2011 : 23:30:34
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

addict!!!

My name is Peter and I'm addicted to snakes...

Only a few short weeks ago I didn't have that much interest in the flippin' things. Now I got 3 of the little blighters! lol

If only I hadn't gone out that day to get parrot food and overheard a conversation about corns...
sly Posted - 25/04/2011 : 21:30:26
quote:
Originally posted by gmac

Same as Kehhlyr, ferrets never refuse

give them to my ferrets also :)
gingerpony Posted - 25/04/2011 : 21:27:51
addict!!!
ptmbradley Posted - 25/04/2011 : 15:30:12
OK, thanks everyone! Don't think I'm going to go out and get ferrets and chickens just to hoover up an occasional uneaten mouse though! lol

I just got back from Lost World where I picked up my 3rd snake of the month (bad boy!!), so maybe if I feed each one a day or two after the other then I won't get any wastage! lol

New snake is a standard but gorgeous male carolina. Pics up as soon as I've sorted them out. No more snakes now! lol

Pete
gingerpony Posted - 25/04/2011 : 14:14:43
i'll pop them in the fridge for a day or 2 if something else is due a feed soon, or re-freeze if its not been out too long (eg. overnight)
what humans can tolerate and digest is different to what snake's can cope with and corns are naturally oportunistic feeders that would feed on a dead rodent if they decided it wasn't too far gone.
some snakes i've had have shown a preference for refrozen and rethawed prey items

one thing about refrozen rethawed prey items is i'm not surprised or worried if the meal if refused - though this is rare!
Red123 Posted - 25/04/2011 : 12:23:02
The chooks look hilarious running around their run with a mouse hanging out of their beek. Which ever chook cathces it the others are in hot pursuit until its swallowed. Its great entertainment lol.
Sta~ple Posted - 25/04/2011 : 09:58:01
quote:
Originally posted by Red123

Or chickens.

Hehehe this. Although I don't give them the larger mice as I do get scared they will choke XD

I feed left over mice to dustbin snake. He's on a deit so he only really gets fed whe other snakes leave their food.
gmac Posted - 25/04/2011 : 00:50:46
Same as Kehhlyr, ferrets never refuse
Spreebok Posted - 25/04/2011 : 00:28:58
Bin!
Only ever had one refusal (Lister was in early stages of blue, hard to tell on Snows sometimes) and it went in the bin.
Mort13 Posted - 24/04/2011 : 22:50:57
I've only ever had one refusal and the pinkie got dumped in the bin.
ptmbradley Posted - 24/04/2011 : 22:47:34
OK, cheers guys and gals.
MrsA82 Posted - 24/04/2011 : 17:10:30
I bin them if refused
Red123 Posted - 24/04/2011 : 15:57:09
Or chickens.
Kehhlyr Posted - 24/04/2011 : 15:54:41
Get ferrets.
Invalid User Posted - 24/04/2011 : 15:16:10
I never have any left over. One of the others get given it if it's going spare!

I personally wouldn't bother re-freezing or keeping to feed again later but I do have a good supply of fresh mice always available :)

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000