uneaten mice?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ptmbradley
Yearling

United Kingdom
676 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2011 :  14:36:11  Show Profile  Visit ptmbradley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, was just wondering what people do with uneaten mice. I haven't had any problems yet but it's bound to happen sooner or later. I'm guessing like any other meat it shouldn't be re-frozen. But could you keep it in the fridge and try again a couple of days later, or is it best to just get rid of it and defrost another one at next feed?

Corns: 1.1 Anery, 1.1 Butter, 1.0 Carolina, 0.1 Hypo, 1.1 Snow, 1.0 Sunkissed
Boas: 0.1 Arabesque, 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow, 0.1 Crawl Cay, 1.1 Hogg Island X, 0.1 Hypo Hogg, 0.1 Kahl Albino (poss coral)

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2011 :  15:16:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I never have any left over. One of the others get given it if it's going spare!

I personally wouldn't bother re-freezing or keeping to feed again later but I do have a good supply of fresh mice always available :)
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2011 :  15:54:41  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Get ferrets.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2011 :  15:57:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Or chickens.

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
Boa Constrictor Imperator
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

0.0.1 Schneider Skink (George)
1.0.0 Extreme Blonde Harlequin Crested Gecko (Bert)
4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.
Chaco Golden Knee (G. pulchripes) Charlie, Greenbottle Blue (C. cyaneopubescens) Gus, Honduran Curly Hair ( B. albopilosum) Titch, Mexican Fire Leg (B. boehmei), Salmon Pink Bird Eater(L. parahybana), Fort Hall Baboon (P. Lugardi) Blanche, Stout Leg Baboon (E. Pachypus) Graham, Chilean Rose (G. Rosea) Glen.

Border collie x (BoB), 2 Cats (Lucky & Dip), 17 Goldfish, and The Dubia Family
Go to Top of Page

MrsA82
Yearling

United Kingdom
582 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2011 :  17:10:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bin them if refused

0.1 Philodryas baroni
2.7 western hognose
3.7 royal pythons
Go to Top of Page

ptmbradley
Yearling

United Kingdom
676 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2011 :  22:47:34  Show Profile  Visit ptmbradley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OK, cheers guys and gals.

Boas: 0.1 Arabesque, 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow, 0.1 Crawl Cay, 1.1 Hogg Island X, 0.1 Hypo Hogg, 0.1 Kahl Albino (poss coral)

Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2011 :  22:50:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've only ever had one refusal and the pinkie got dumped in the bin.

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2011 :  00:28:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bin!
Only ever had one refusal (Lister was in early stages of blue, hard to tell on Snows sometimes) and it went in the bin.
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2011 :  00:50:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Same as Kehhlyr, ferrets never refuse

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2011 :  09:58:01  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Red123

Or chickens.

Hehehe this. Although I don't give them the larger mice as I do get scared they will choke XD

I feed left over mice to dustbin snake. He's on a deit so he only really gets fed whe other snakes leave their food.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2011 :  12:23:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The chooks look hilarious running around their run with a mouse hanging out of their beek. Which ever chook cathces it the others are in hot pursuit until its swallowed. Its great entertainment lol.

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
Boa Constrictor Imperator
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

0.0.1 Schneider Skink (George)
1.0.0 Extreme Blonde Harlequin Crested Gecko (Bert)
4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.
Chaco Golden Knee (G. pulchripes) Charlie, Greenbottle Blue (C. cyaneopubescens) Gus, Honduran Curly Hair ( B. albopilosum) Titch, Mexican Fire Leg (B. boehmei), Salmon Pink Bird Eater(L. parahybana), Fort Hall Baboon (P. Lugardi) Blanche, Stout Leg Baboon (E. Pachypus) Graham, Chilean Rose (G. Rosea) Glen.

Border collie x (BoB), 2 Cats (Lucky & Dip), 17 Goldfish, and The Dubia Family
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2011 :  14:14:43  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i'll pop them in the fridge for a day or 2 if something else is due a feed soon, or re-freeze if its not been out too long (eg. overnight)
what humans can tolerate and digest is different to what snake's can cope with and corns are naturally oportunistic feeders that would feed on a dead rodent if they decided it wasn't too far gone.
some snakes i've had have shown a preference for refrozen and rethawed prey items

one thing about refrozen rethawed prey items is i'm not surprised or worried if the meal if refused - though this is rare!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

ptmbradley
Yearling

United Kingdom
676 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2011 :  15:30:12  Show Profile  Visit ptmbradley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OK, thanks everyone! Don't think I'm going to go out and get ferrets and chickens just to hoover up an occasional uneaten mouse though! lol

I just got back from Lost World where I picked up my 3rd snake of the month (bad boy!!), so maybe if I feed each one a day or two after the other then I won't get any wastage! lol

New snake is a standard but gorgeous male carolina. Pics up as soon as I've sorted them out. No more snakes now! lol

Pete

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2011 :  21:27:51  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
addict!!!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

sly
Hatchling

United Kingdom
273 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2011 :  21:30:26  Show Profile  Click to see sly's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gmac

Same as Kehhlyr, ferrets never refuse

give them to my ferrets also :)

James

Go to Top of Page

ptmbradley
Yearling

United Kingdom
676 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2011 :  23:30:34  Show Profile  Visit ptmbradley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

addict!!!

My name is Peter and I'm addicted to snakes...

Only a few short weeks ago I didn't have that much interest in the flippin' things. Now I got 3 of the little blighters! lol

If only I hadn't gone out that day to get parrot food and overheard a conversation about corns...

Edited by - ptmbradley on 26/04/2011 01:29:31
Go to Top of Page

ravensgirl
Hatchling

123 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2011 :  13:31:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ptmbradley

quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

addict!!!

My name is Peter and I'm addicted to snakes...

Only a few short weeks ago I didn't have that much interest in the flippin' things. Now I got 3 of the little blighters! lol

If only I hadn't gone out that day to get parrot food and overheard a conversation about corns...

LMAO

If only I hadn't done the same

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000