The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Sexing a snake using scale count

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Mole Posted - 07/04/2011 : 22:14:10
Hi, we have Striker who we are not sure of the sex. Have just read on another post about sexing snakes using scale count from a shed, Striker has recently shed and this was intact so could count scales if pointed in the right direction and number please help if possible would be interesting to have an idea ta
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
gingerpony Posted - 09/04/2011 : 08:13:48
no not just adults, but the figures he quotes are just for corns
hatchies scales are much much smaller though and will be pretty difficult to count though the author does suggest scanning the shed skin then enlarging the picture
smiffy89 Posted - 08/04/2011 : 23:29:34
lmao he's a right nutter,does this scale count method only apply to adult corns
Mole Posted - 08/04/2011 : 22:07:12
Ha! bit of a nightmare lucy, but for once I was lucky, you all need to read the link that gp posted the bloke is a right giggle
Thante Posted - 08/04/2011 : 21:58:52
Think i might try this as well. Tequila's tail looks longer, even though he is smaller.
lucyloop Posted - 08/04/2011 : 21:06:13
I know! I got really excited that i might find out too! oh well, back to assumption he is a boy!
gingerpony Posted - 08/04/2011 : 19:53:11
hmmm.........136 is in that big black hole of 'maybe'...............lol
lucyloop Posted - 08/04/2011 : 19:44:03
oh i counted Tikos and they were 136! grr.
gingerpony Posted - 08/04/2011 : 12:52:52
i must admit it's not something i've ever done, next time something sheds i might test this method (as i already know the sexes of all of mine) just for a giggle

in theory it should work as males generally have longer tails than females so it seems obvious they should have a higher scale count
i think some members on here tried it years ago and everything was in the inbetween bit -the 'could be either sex' scale count

and yes, the author does seem to have a GSOH
Mole Posted - 08/04/2011 : 12:28:56
Well it seems official, read the link and i must say what a giggle that bloke is laughed my sox off reading his method/s. Did opt for the traditional scale count one tho, and Striker has at least 144 which makes him a male, didnt count the extra 8 which were scrunched up just under the bum bit so add them on and its over 150, so there you are, just all I need now is for him to lay some dud eggs to prove all of us wrong lol ta gp for the info
gingerpony Posted - 07/04/2011 : 22:23:17
http://www.dksnakes.co.uk/a_beginners_guide_to_safe_ways_o.htm

it's worth a try......though most fall in the big gray area of 'maybe male or female' lol

good luck and let us know how you get on

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000