The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 No Royal...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Newbie Posted - 14/03/2011 : 21:16:19
The OH has expressed displeasure at my intentions of having a Royal in late summer he shares the view of some that they are fat and slug-like and is trying determined that a Boa is a better choice!

Whilst I am less than impressed that he doesn't see the obvious beauty of Royals, I can't help but admire the moustashes some BCI's wear! *sigh* so many snakes, so little space! With room for only one more, it has to be one we both love, so I'm guessing a Boa will be joining the household before 2011's out!
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
stotty01 Posted - 17/03/2011 : 19:22:18
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

as a very sweeping generalisation for most BCIs........
hot end basking spot 32*C
cool end 26-27*C (easily achievable when using a ceramic/rep rad/AHS)
normal room humidity

there are little tweaks to that basic info depending on the particular subspecies. some dwarfs and localities only get to 4,5,6ft so like a corn but heavier bodied. if you can look after a corn i'm sure you'd manage with a boa

the exceptions are rainbow boas and tree boas - their husbandry is quite different (and more difficult!)

stop tempting me please....
gingerpony Posted - 16/03/2011 : 22:12:20
as a very sweeping generalisation for most BCIs........
hot end basking spot 32*C
cool end 26-27*C (easily achievable when using a ceramic/rep rad/AHS)
normal room humidity

there are little tweaks to that basic info depending on the particular subspecies. some dwarfs and localities only get to 4,5,6ft so like a corn but heavier bodied. if you can look after a corn i'm sure you'd manage with a boa

the exceptions are rainbow boas and tree boas - their husbandry is quite different (and more difficult!)
mikeyd_26 Posted - 16/03/2011 : 21:54:21
i have hogg island boa's and a royal i'd go boa every time! although there are some stunning royals out there. but i'd defo recomend a hogg island - they dont grow to big, have a pretty decent temprement and tolarate handling very well (only been bit once and was my own fault!) and there coulors are fantastic! :)
stotty01 Posted - 16/03/2011 : 19:24:41
i love my royal :) he is 10x more active than more corn :D he went for my boss once though mwahahahaha. his fault for stroking a rabbit before getting him >:)
Newbie Posted - 16/03/2011 : 17:39:45
quote:

kings are a good suggestion but i find them too similar to corns........not a bad thing but i wanted something different!

most boas a very amenable and pleasant to handle, i've taken 2 of mine in to my daughter's preschool this morning and they've been handled by a bunch of 3-4 year olds!

So you think I'd be ok with a Boa then GP? I said to my OH I wasn't sure if they'd be too big a step in care as most websites seem to have them on medium-high experience needed, I'd have had Vin for 10 months ish when we buy, what kind of experience does that qualify me as?! I'd be getting a lot of research and handling some different species a while before buying though, we quite like the normal BCI's, although BRB's are pretty to
gingerpony Posted - 16/03/2011 : 11:43:01
kings are a good suggestion but i find them too similar to corns........not a bad thing but i wanted something different!

most boas a very amenable and pleasant to handle, i've taken 2 of mine in to my daughter's preschool this morning and they've been handled by a bunch of 3-4 year olds!
lee2308 Posted - 16/03/2011 : 11:20:55
quote:

if you want to get a royal make sure you decorate your viv nicely........cos that's what you'll be looking at most of the time lol

LMAO,this is my situation too,mine wont feed,wont move and never comes out unless to change hides,but i do have a nice branch to look at.Boas overy royals anyday.
lotabob Posted - 15/03/2011 : 23:26:57
Oh they are massively out of proportion. Duke isn't normally fiesty, he is due to shed soon and I stupidly took my eye off him with him on top of the viv while I moved a sensor inside. We met face to face as I came back up out of the viv and got a open mouthed royal striking at my face, for a fatty he is sure fast. I'm not overly worried about taking a bite but would prefer it to not be in the face.

Just hope the Boa I'm getting is calm, or I'll be popped full of holes in no time. Thank goodness for corn snakes, so pleasant and nice to us.
Sta~ple Posted - 15/03/2011 : 23:14:43
quote:
Originally posted by lotabob

NO I'm still looking to get one, mighty fine looking beasts those MBK's. Just messing, I love all snakes.

My Royal tried to bite my face tonight so I'm with you for the next few days lol. Stupid slug!

Hehe so the rumours of some Royals being feisty are true then :p

The slugs do have pretty eyes and faces though I'll admit that... Just when they are older, their bottoms looks huge compared to their heads!
lotabob Posted - 15/03/2011 : 23:03:20
NO I'm still looking to get one, mighty fine looking beasts those MBK's. Just messing, I love all snakes.

My Royal tried to bite my face tonight so I'm with you for the next few days lol. Stupid slug!
Sta~ple Posted - 15/03/2011 : 22:10:03
Well, my king hasn't bitten me or musked on me or pooped on me. I think it's all a load of rubbish and every snake has the potential to have the "typical king" temperament. I have a corn that strikes, rattles it's tail and is just moody because that's just how it is. Infact, my king is affectionate if you can call a snake that. If I even do a water change, he's up and before I know it, he has slithered up my arm. He will always happily lust lay when out with his head on my my hands, no nastyness ate soever. I have had to give a form hold of his head and clean what was a wound because he had hurt it and there was no nastyness then either.

And bob, I remember that you said you were going to get a MBK XD I guess not anymore then.
lotabob Posted - 15/03/2011 : 21:37:24
Is there anything those things won't eat? I'd love to own a musking eating machine you just can't get enough bite marks and smelly hands LOL.
Sta~ple Posted - 15/03/2011 : 21:06:00
Better get the slug repealent with all these slugs on this topic :o

Get a King instead, look how affectionate they can be, even to non-living objects.
lotabob Posted - 15/03/2011 : 21:00:12
quote:
Originally posted by Mort13

Aww yeah they are little fatties but they've got the cutest little faces going and are lovely to handle.
They are still on my wish list.
How old is Duke again lotabob,he's not 1 yet is he?!!

Duke is 8 months (DoB 08/07/10) he is just shy of three feet and 525 grams empty (Royals hold their bodily functions and let go in a big way, Duke was 550 grams just before he pooped). He is a monster size for his age to the point I thought it was wrong and had them double check with the breeder.

quote:
Originally posted by Louise32

Will I get another royal? I doubt it. Am I glad I got her? Yes :)

I'll second that, I love Duke but he is quirky.

I'll let you know how I get on with the Boa when it arrives in under two weeks, so excited.
MrsA82 Posted - 15/03/2011 : 20:52:16
Here's one of my royals -the least slug like of the 3 :)

I think they are gorgeous, hubby didn't want one he thought they were ugly we now have 3!!!

Like herriotfan said 'they can be worked on'

Strawb Posted - 15/03/2011 : 20:28:19
I've only had my royal for a month, but man is she easier to handle. You can't relax with a corn in the hand. My oldest snake, a California king, is also no problem. I let her out every evening and she runs around my office all night, and when I come down again in the morning 9 times out of 10 she's back in her viv and all I have to do is shut the door and let her sleep.
I would never attempt this with a cornsnake.
gingerpony Posted - 15/03/2011 : 10:51:58
if you want to get a royal make sure you decorate your viv nicely........cos that's what you'll be looking at most of the time lol

a boa would be my choice having kept both species in the past. dwarfs and some localities only get to about 5ft and are easily manageable. providing you're aware of the size a particular boa could get to they acrtually make very good first snakes requiring similar husbandry to a corn.
LynneM_212 Posted - 15/03/2011 : 10:14:30
aww i would like them is they were longer and sort of looked more in proportion, dont get me wrong i lvoe all snakes they are amazing creatures, but they do sort of look short and stumpy a bit like me lol :) i think i like the long skinny snakes cos that what id like to be like hahaha
Invalid User Posted - 15/03/2011 : 10:03:42
Here is my baby royal Bella. She is great BUT she is a lazy slug! Also a pain in the bum to feed. Will I get another royal? I doubt it. Am I glad I got her? Yes :)

Mort13 Posted - 15/03/2011 : 09:48:12
Aww yeah they are little fatties but they've got the cutest little faces going and are lovely to handle.
They are still on my wish list.
How old is Duke again lotabob,he's not 1 yet is he?!!

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000