New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Yearling

950 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2011 :  21:16:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The OH has expressed displeasure at my intentions of having a Royal in late summer he shares the view of some that they are fat and slug-like and is trying determined that a Boa is a better choice!

Whilst I am less than impressed that he doesn't see the obvious beauty of Royals, I can't help but admire the moustashes some BCI's wear! *sigh* so many snakes, so little space! With room for only one more, it has to be one we both love, so I'm guessing a Boa will be joining the household before 2011's out!

1.0.0 Carolina Motley Cornsnake - Vin, 0.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Rio, 0.1.0 IJJ Carpet Python - Luna, 0.1.0 Dwarf Sunfire Reticulated Python - Helia, 1.0.0 Royal Python - Jasper, 0.1.0 Spaniel - Jess; RIP Gypsy - a beautiful girl through and through, 0.1.0 Rabbit - Binky, RIP Indy, Jan 2010 - Aug 2011, and Ace, Jan 2009 - Aug 2011

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2011 :  21:32:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

'I'm not a slug, I'm beautiful'.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Mole
Hatchling

United Kingdom
121 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2011 :  21:34:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Must say that the royals are lovely pretty snakes their markings and colours are truely magnificent along with the shape of their heads gorgeous snakes

1.0.0 corn snake Striker
1.0.0 dog Merlo
0.1.0 rabbit Sparkle
0.2.0 Cats Skid and Whizz
Go to Top of Page

Yearling

950 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2011 :  21:44:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm right with you guys, and Duke is the most adorable little man in the world Lota, I'm so envious of you! I love pretty much all snakes, and like you say Mole, the head-shape of Royals is gorgeous! My OH must be stupid and partially sighted...hmmm not sure that compliments me too much though!

1.0.0 Carolina Motley Cornsnake - Vin, 0.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Rio, 0.1.0 IJJ Carpet Python - Luna, 0.1.0 Dwarf Sunfire Reticulated Python - Helia, 1.0.0 Royal Python - Jasper, 0.1.0 Spaniel - Jess; RIP Gypsy - a beautiful girl through and through, 0.1.0 Rabbit - Binky, RIP Indy, Jan 2010 - Aug 2011, and Ace, Jan 2009 - Aug 2011
Go to Top of Page

Mole
Hatchling

United Kingdom
121 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2011 :  21:48:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL x

1.0.0 corn snake Striker
1.0.0 dog Merlo
0.1.0 rabbit Sparkle
0.2.0 Cats Skid and Whizz
Go to Top of Page

tehbunneh
Hatchling

United Kingdom
390 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2011 :  21:52:24  Show Profile  Visit tehbunneh's Homepage  Send tehbunneh an AOL message  Click to see tehbunneh's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have to admit, I do find them quite sluggy too, but I've seen some that do not follow that trend at all!! I would always be worrying too, that his 'hips' were because he was overweight, rather then just natural! I think I'mma be sticking to corns for a looooong time XDDD

EMZ - WORCESTER, UK

3.2.0 Corn Snakes
Conan (CB09 Carolina); Ripley (CB09 Ghost); Widget (CB09 Hypo Pewter); Dexter (CB10 Granite); Boa'tata (CB10 Bloodred)
0.1.0 Taiwanese Beauty
Taiki (CB11)
1.0.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake
Tanis (CB10)
0.0.1 Amazon Tree Boa
Winston (CB??)
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2011 :  22:09:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

'What hips, I'm skinny'.

Lol, they are big fat sausage snakes but lovely. Though Duke is a monster for his age.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2011 :  06:57:13  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Newbie

The OH has expressed displeasure at my intentions of having a Royal in late summer he shares the view of some that they are fat and slug-like

Your boyfriend is spot on lol

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2011 :  09:44:50  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My hubby didn't want me to have any animals when we first got married and now look at my signature.....they can be 'worked' on!!!

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2011 :  09:48:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aww yeah they are little fatties but they've got the cutest little faces going and are lovely to handle.
They are still on my wish list.
How old is Duke again lotabob,he's not 1 yet is he?!!

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2011 :  10:03:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is my baby royal Bella. She is great BUT she is a lazy slug! Also a pain in the bum to feed. Will I get another royal? I doubt it. Am I glad I got her? Yes :)

Go to Top of Page

LynneM_212
Hatchling

United Kingdom
236 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2011 :  10:14:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
aww i would like them is they were longer and sort of looked more in proportion, dont get me wrong i lvoe all snakes they are amazing creatures, but they do sort of look short and stumpy a bit like me lol :) i think i like the long skinny snakes cos that what id like to be like hahaha

1 corn snake: Kchalice-Serendipity
2 dogs: Kane and chester
1 C0ckatill: Rolo
1 gold fish: chips
2 Cats : Max and Jess

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2011 :  10:51:58  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
if you want to get a royal make sure you decorate your viv nicely........cos that's what you'll be looking at most of the time lol

a boa would be my choice having kept both species in the past. dwarfs and some localities only get to about 5ft and are easily manageable. providing you're aware of the size a particular boa could get to they acrtually make very good first snakes requiring similar husbandry to a corn.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Strawb
Egg

Germany
50 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2011 :  20:28:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've only had my royal for a month, but man is she easier to handle. You can't relax with a corn in the hand. My oldest snake, a California king, is also no problem. I let her out every evening and she runs around my office all night, and when I come down again in the morning 9 times out of 10 she's back in her viv and all I have to do is shut the door and let her sleep.
I would never attempt this with a cornsnake.
Go to Top of Page

MrsA82
Yearling

United Kingdom
582 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2011 :  20:52:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's one of my royals -the least slug like of the 3 :)

I think they are gorgeous, hubby didn't want one he thought they were ugly we now have 3!!!

Like herriotfan said 'they can be worked on'

0.1 Philodryas baroni
2.7 western hognose
3.7 royal pythons
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2011 :  21:00:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mort13

Aww yeah they are little fatties but they've got the cutest little faces going and are lovely to handle.
They are still on my wish list.
How old is Duke again lotabob,he's not 1 yet is he?!!

Duke is 8 months (DoB 08/07/10) he is just shy of three feet and 525 grams empty (Royals hold their bodily functions and let go in a big way, Duke was 550 grams just before he pooped). He is a monster size for his age to the point I thought it was wrong and had them double check with the breeder.

quote:
Originally posted by Louise32

Will I get another royal? I doubt it. Am I glad I got her? Yes :)

I'll second that, I love Duke but he is quirky.

I'll let you know how I get on with the Boa when it arrives in under two weeks, so excited.

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Edited by - lotabob on 15/03/2011 21:02:24
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2011 :  21:06:00  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Better get the slug repealent with all these slugs on this topic :o

Get a King instead, look how affectionate they can be, even to non-living objects.

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2011 :  21:37:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is there anything those things won't eat? I'd love to own a musking eating machine you just can't get enough bite marks and smelly hands LOL.

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2011 :  22:10:03  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Well, my king hasn't bitten me or musked on me or pooped on me. I think it's all a load of rubbish and every snake has the potential to have the "typical king" temperament. I have a corn that strikes, rattles it's tail and is just moody because that's just how it is. Infact, my king is affectionate if you can call a snake that. If I even do a water change, he's up and before I know it, he has slithered up my arm. He will always happily lust lay when out with his head on my my hands, no nastyness ate soever. I have had to give a form hold of his head and clean what was a wound because he had hurt it and there was no nastyness then either.

And bob, I remember that you said you were going to get a MBK XD I guess not anymore then.

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2011 :  23:03:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
NO I'm still looking to get one, mighty fine looking beasts those MBK's. Just messing, I love all snakes.

My Royal tried to bite my face tonight so I'm with you for the next few days lol. Stupid slug!

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2011 :  23:14:43  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lotabob

NO I'm still looking to get one, mighty fine looking beasts those MBK's. Just messing, I love all snakes.

My Royal tried to bite my face tonight so I'm with you for the next few days lol. Stupid slug!

Hehe so the rumours of some Royals being feisty are true then :p

The slugs do have pretty eyes and faces though I'll admit that... Just when they are older, their bottoms looks huge compared to their heads!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000