The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Forget the cohabiting debate.....

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
lotabob Posted - 21/02/2011 : 22:14:22
It appears snakes are a danger to themselves. Now I know Kings are well known to eat anything but this one really takes the biscuit.

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/802400-reggie-the-snake-who-ate-himself
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Invalid User Posted - 06/04/2011 : 13:44:28
A couple of my corns have bitten themselves, infact one did it today (can't remember which one) but they have done it after constricting a mouse. If they left go, rather than eat it while still constricted, they sometimes bite that part of them that was wrapped round the mouse!
Kehhlyr Posted - 06/04/2011 : 13:13:07
I wasn't with Trio when he first done that so can only assume that he regurged it, although I was told he was probably like it for a good few hours.
When he was with me and done it or started doing it then a hand in the way is usually sufficient as he'll get to it then not be able to go much further then will release his tail.
If not my vet is superb (hi Debbie) and I'll just get him up to her.
oakleyman18 Posted - 06/04/2011 : 09:28:25
You know it's a classy article when they spell TAIL incorrectly... "ate his own tale"
MightyMouse Posted - 06/04/2011 : 08:44:37
Sorry to be reviving old threds but im new an playing catch up. How did ya get his tail out? Is this really that common?
Figs Posted - 22/02/2011 : 00:22:21
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

That's exactly what Trio has done to his tail, shall look for the best piccy I have of his part digested scales.

Crazy snakes!
How did you get him out of himself?
Or did he decide to spit himself out?
Kehhlyr Posted - 22/02/2011 : 00:17:26
That's exactly what Trio has done to his tail, shall look for the best piccy I have of his part digested scales.

/edit
Found them.
This is one of him during a "I'm gonna eat myself" routine:

In this one you can see the difference with the scales from the bit of his tail that was taken down his throat:

Kings WILL eat other snakes and themselves if they so wish. Even breeding from them isn't easy because of their eating habits.
Sta~ple Posted - 21/02/2011 : 22:48:06
They don't feel pain like we do... if when something struggles/moves when they want to eat it and have it in their mouth, they get even more determined to eat it.

Just really hope my king doesn't do that now :(
lotabob Posted - 21/02/2011 : 22:46:09
I'm amazed they don't figure it out after the first bite. I've been in meetings that go on forever before and been very tempted to bite off my own arm with hunger but taking it literally is a bridge too far.
Sta~ple Posted - 21/02/2011 : 22:44:12
My king bit itself today, got hyper after his mouse and decided I guess he wanted more. Seen and heard plenty of stories like that one bob, kings are just a tad dumb at times but it could happen to any snake, seen pictures of babies corn like that.
thistle Posted - 21/02/2011 : 22:19:25
I've heard of kings snakes mistaking themselves for another snake before. It's amazing that they managed to save it.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000