New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2011 :  22:14:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It appears snakes are a danger to themselves. Now I know Kings are well known to eat anything but this one really takes the biscuit.

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/802400-reggie-the-snake-who-ate-himself

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky

thistle
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1757 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2011 :  22:19:25  Show Profile  Visit thistle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've heard of kings snakes mistaking themselves for another snake before. It's amazing that they managed to save it.

2.0.0 Dogs (westie Angus, shih tzu Archie)
0.5.0 African Pygmy Hedgehogs (Harriet, Amelia, Matilda, Jemima, Maisie) RIP Hector
0.4.0 Guinea Pigs (Isobel, Effy, Mrs Mack & Sheila)
1.0.0 Lutino C0ckatiel (Sammy)
3.0.0 Corn Snakes - CB10 Amel (Barnaby), CB11 Anery Lavender (Bailey), CB10 Caramel Motley (Bradley)
0.1.0 CB11 Western Hognose Snake (Maggie)
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2011 :  22:44:12  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My king bit itself today, got hyper after his mouse and decided I guess he wanted more. Seen and heard plenty of stories like that one bob, kings are just a tad dumb at times but it could happen to any snake, seen pictures of babies corn like that.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2011 :  22:46:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm amazed they don't figure it out after the first bite. I've been in meetings that go on forever before and been very tempted to bite off my own arm with hunger but taking it literally is a bridge too far.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2011 :  22:48:06  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
They don't feel pain like we do... if when something struggles/moves when they want to eat it and have it in their mouth, they get even more determined to eat it.

Just really hope my king doesn't do that now :(

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2011 :  00:17:26  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
That's exactly what Trio has done to his tail, shall look for the best piccy I have of his part digested scales.

/edit
Found them.
This is one of him during a "I'm gonna eat myself" routine:

In this one you can see the difference with the scales from the bit of his tail that was taken down his throat:

Kings WILL eat other snakes and themselves if they so wish. Even breeding from them isn't easy because of their eating habits.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Edited by - Kehhlyr on 22/02/2011 00:25:37
Go to Top of Page

Figs
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3319 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2011 :  00:22:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

That's exactly what Trio has done to his tail, shall look for the best piccy I have of his part digested scales.

Crazy snakes!
How did you get him out of himself?
Or did he decide to spit himself out?
Go to Top of Page

MightyMouse
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
43 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2011 :  08:44:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry to be reviving old threds but im new an playing catch up. How did ya get his tail out? Is this really that common?

Go to Top of Page

oakleyman18
Yearling

828 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2011 :  09:28:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know it's a classy article when they spell TAIL incorrectly... "ate his own tale"

Oscar Morrell
0.1.0. Tessera het Caramel Diffused Hypo ph Amel Anery CB'12 "Cassi", 0.1.0. Diffused Powder CB'12 "Ruby"
0.1.0. Normal Stripe, het Hypo, Amel, Lavender CB'11 "Amber", 1.0.0. Lavender Stripe het Diffused Anery Amel Hypo CB'11 "Pluto"
1.0.0. Hypo Opal Ph Stripe CB'12 "Hops", 1.0.0. Caramel Stripe het Amel CB'08 "Jasper", 1.0.0. Opal Stripe het Anery CB'09 "Topaz"
0.1.0. Amel Stripe het Caramel CB'09 "Poppy", 0.1.0. Tessera het Amel Lavender Stripe ph Diffused Hypo Anery CB'12 "Amethyst"
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2011 :  13:13:07  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I wasn't with Trio when he first done that so can only assume that he regurged it, although I was told he was probably like it for a good few hours.
When he was with me and done it or started doing it then a hand in the way is usually sufficient as he'll get to it then not be able to go much further then will release his tail.
If not my vet is superb (hi Debbie) and I'll just get him up to her.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2011 :  13:44:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A couple of my corns have bitten themselves, infact one did it today (can't remember which one) but they have done it after constricting a mouse. If they left go, rather than eat it while still constricted, they sometimes bite that part of them that was wrapped round the mouse!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000