The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 RUB Query

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
lotabob Posted - 07/02/2011 : 22:18:11
I'm a vivarium kinda guy but I am thinking of getting a hoggie and milk snake and as they are only titchy housing them in rubs until they are bigger.

I have never physically seen a RUB before (I know, where have I been) and know lots of you guys use them so thought it best to pitch my questions your way and these may seem obvious but humour me.

I was looking at a picture (9L) and they look like they have little leg type corners, are they raised up a little bit and if so how does it affect the heat mat/how would a heat mat work if its not touching?
17   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
lotabob Posted - 24/02/2011 : 22:06:54
I know, it was just for photographic purposes and testing out whats what. I'm going to use a screwdriver, not needing it ready until April, I'm going away for a few days so will get a new snakey when I get back.
Invalid User Posted - 24/02/2011 : 21:55:23
quote:
Originally posted by lotabob

Starting to take shape nicely. I still haven't tackled the hole making and the heat mat is still in the wardrobe and the stat and thermometers and small exo terra hide (toilet roll standing in for now) are somewhere in the royal mail abyss. I have 2 RUBS but decided to only set 1 up and keep one for later.

How are you making the holes? If you are using the heated screwdriver method (as I did) you will need to sand down any rough bits so you will have to take all that out so you can wash away and bits of sand and rubbed off plastic.
lotabob Posted - 24/02/2011 : 21:35:34
Starting to take shape nicely. I still haven't tackled the hole making and the heat mat is still in the wardrobe and the stat and thermometers and small exo terra hide (toilet roll standing in for now) are somewhere in the royal mail abyss. I have 2 RUBS but decided to only set 1 up and keep one for later.

hillzi Posted - 22/02/2011 : 21:58:35
quote:
Originally posted by Oh How Original

People mistake the word RUB a lot, it stands for Really Useful Box (for anyone who doesn't know)
So basically any box can be one.

Not really, the "Really Useful Box" is the name of a product manufactured by one company..

The air flow will be fine, I put a soldering iron through the little dimples and when I mount plants and probe wires, kept my snake alive for a year.

What I'd do is tape mat to the bottom of the RUB on the outside, being outside of the RUB, the snake will be completely safe as he cannot reach it at any time.

lotabob Posted - 22/02/2011 : 21:33:28
I have 2, 18 litre rubs arriving tomorrow, hides, foliage, stats, (already have the mat) waterbowls thermometers are on order. I still haven't decided between a MBK, Milk, Hoggie, or a House snake yet. But I really think a hoggie is on the cards if its not too difficult to get my hands on an anery one. They can move into the viv's when Spot and Duke move into their bigger ones.

New to RUBS though so be prepared for even more questions.
Oh How Original Posted - 08/02/2011 : 23:35:50
People mistake the word RUB a lot, it stands for Really Useful Box (for anyone who doesn't know)
So basically any box can be one.
personally I have only ever used the heat mat in contact with the RUB so can't comment on the air gap, although I don't see why it would make a difference.
Plus if you use a thermostat and thermometer, the heat should be OK anyway even with an air gap if your heat mat is powerful enough to get up to temp.
lotabob Posted - 08/02/2011 : 20:38:37
Yeah I dont have a soldering iron so might just use the screwdriver trick.

I've decided I'm going to invest in 2 big vivariums when Spot & Duke are big enough then move up these 2 new guys into their vivs. Not planning on getting them for a few months yet, just gathering up the bits and bobs and keeping my eye out for 2 lovely snakes. I'm also probably about to take in a adult anery looking for a new home but I'll have more news on that by the end of the week.
tehbunneh Posted - 08/02/2011 : 20:30:22
I've drilled holes in both my RUBs and not had any cracking o.o Just go slow and use a small bit, and you should be fine!
Invalid User Posted - 08/02/2011 : 20:22:31
Or do what I did and heat up a screwdriver, stab a few holes then sand down any rough edges :)
lrv2307 Posted - 08/02/2011 : 19:51:53
quote:
Originally posted by lotabob

Thanks for the pics Louise. {:)] Looks like I'll be ordering myself 2 rubs tomorrow (order at work, get a discount). I have a big mat already to use and just need a stat and some thermometers and some junk to kit them out.

Then I have a decision, 2 RUB's and choosing between the options of a milk snake, a hoggie, MBK, house snake, BRB or a common boa.

when you pierce them for air holes hun, use a soldering iron, then you wont get cracks like you will if you drilled holes

RUB are great xxx
lotabob Posted - 08/02/2011 : 19:20:02
Thanks for the pics Louise. {:)] Looks like I'll be ordering myself 2 rubs tomorrow (order at work, get a discount). I have a big mat already to use and just need a stat and some thermometers and some junk to kit them out.

Then I have a decision, 2 RUB's and choosing between the options of a milk snake, a hoggie, MBK, house snake, BRB or a common boa.
Invalid User Posted - 08/02/2011 : 13:19:10
I have 3 fauns and 1 rub all on a 4ft heatstrip (the other 5 rubs are on another heat strip) and they all heat up exactly the same. The fauns do have an air gap but I don't know if it's because mine are a new type or not or they change as they get bigger but all my rubs which I have bought over the last 3 months do not have an air gap, they sit directly ontop of the heat mat. I was actually more worried about that as I had read that air gap is a better but as I said they heat up exactly the same, to the same temps as the fauns.

These are the 9L rubs I have, flat bottomed, with no feet.

Mort13 Posted - 08/02/2011 : 10:34:16
The faun I had Loki in to begin with has a gap of about 5/6 mm and it heated up fine so I'm sure a RUB will be no different.
tehbunneh Posted - 08/02/2011 : 10:03:17
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the air above the heat mats make them more affective. I might have just read it wrong mind! The gap between RUB and heat mat is only 5mm or so, so its nothing too major!
Newbie Posted - 08/02/2011 : 06:19:03
Hiya,

Like Tehbunneh I have an air gap between my mat and faunarium base and it seems to work ok, as the heat rises it heats up the base of the RUB, I like it because I can easily sneak a hand into the air gap to make sure the mats working! I think as long as its directly beneath the RUB its fine, as heat rises naturally. There's probably a limit on an acceptable size of air gap though before it starts to lose effect. Minesabout 2cm. Hope this helps!
lotabob Posted - 08/02/2011 : 00:21:10
Mats are contact heaters though are they not? How do they heat without contact? Don't get me wrong if it works it works, I'm just a, whats the word, nerd! I like to know how things work.

tehbunneh Posted - 07/02/2011 : 23:48:32
Its good, as it gives the air a chance to circulate and warm up to get to the plastic. They need the air circulation to work effectively anyways! I have two shading a strip, and have had no issue ^^

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000