New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2011 :  22:18:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm a vivarium kinda guy but I am thinking of getting a hoggie and milk snake and as they are only titchy housing them in rubs until they are bigger.

I have never physically seen a RUB before (I know, where have I been) and know lots of you guys use them so thought it best to pitch my questions your way and these may seem obvious but humour me.

I was looking at a picture (9L) and they look like they have little leg type corners, are they raised up a little bit and if so how does it affect the heat mat/how would a heat mat work if its not touching?

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky

tehbunneh
Hatchling

United Kingdom
390 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2011 :  23:48:32  Show Profile  Visit tehbunneh's Homepage  Send tehbunneh an AOL message  Click to see tehbunneh's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Its good, as it gives the air a chance to circulate and warm up to get to the plastic. They need the air circulation to work effectively anyways! I have two shading a strip, and have had no issue ^^

EMZ - WORCESTER, UK

3.2.0 Corn Snakes
Conan (CB09 Carolina); Ripley (CB09 Ghost); Widget (CB09 Hypo Pewter); Dexter (CB10 Granite); Boa'tata (CB10 Bloodred)
0.1.0 Taiwanese Beauty
Taiki (CB11)
1.0.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake
Tanis (CB10)
0.0.1 Amazon Tree Boa
Winston (CB??)
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2011 :  00:21:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mats are contact heaters though are they not? How do they heat without contact? Don't get me wrong if it works it works, I'm just a, whats the word, nerd! I like to know how things work.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

Go to Top of Page

Yearling

950 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2011 :  06:19:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hiya,

Like Tehbunneh I have an air gap between my mat and faunarium base and it seems to work ok, as the heat rises it heats up the base of the RUB, I like it because I can easily sneak a hand into the air gap to make sure the mats working! I think as long as its directly beneath the RUB its fine, as heat rises naturally. There's probably a limit on an acceptable size of air gap though before it starts to lose effect. Minesabout 2cm. Hope this helps!

1.0.0 Carolina Motley Cornsnake - Vin, 0.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Rio, 0.1.0 IJJ Carpet Python - Luna, 0.1.0 Dwarf Sunfire Reticulated Python - Helia, 1.0.0 Royal Python - Jasper, 0.1.0 Spaniel - Jess; RIP Gypsy - a beautiful girl through and through, 0.1.0 Rabbit - Binky, RIP Indy, Jan 2010 - Aug 2011, and Ace, Jan 2009 - Aug 2011
Go to Top of Page

tehbunneh
Hatchling

United Kingdom
390 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2011 :  10:03:17  Show Profile  Visit tehbunneh's Homepage  Send tehbunneh an AOL message  Click to see tehbunneh's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the air above the heat mats make them more affective. I might have just read it wrong mind! The gap between RUB and heat mat is only 5mm or so, so its nothing too major!

EMZ - WORCESTER, UK

3.2.0 Corn Snakes
Conan (CB09 Carolina); Ripley (CB09 Ghost); Widget (CB09 Hypo Pewter); Dexter (CB10 Granite); Boa'tata (CB10 Bloodred)
0.1.0 Taiwanese Beauty
Taiki (CB11)
Tanis (CB10)
0.0.1 Amazon Tree Boa
Winston (CB??)
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2011 :  10:34:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The faun I had Loki in to begin with has a gap of about 5/6 mm and it heated up fine so I'm sure a RUB will be no different.

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2011 :  13:19:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have 3 fauns and 1 rub all on a 4ft heatstrip (the other 5 rubs are on another heat strip) and they all heat up exactly the same. The fauns do have an air gap but I don't know if it's because mine are a new type or not or they change as they get bigger but all my rubs which I have bought over the last 3 months do not have an air gap, they sit directly ontop of the heat mat. I was actually more worried about that as I had read that air gap is a better but as I said they heat up exactly the same, to the same temps as the fauns.

These are the 9L rubs I have, flat bottomed, with no feet.

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2011 :  19:20:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the pics Louise. {:)] Looks like I'll be ordering myself 2 rubs tomorrow (order at work, get a discount). I have a big mat already to use and just need a stat and some thermometers and some junk to kit them out.

Then I have a decision, 2 RUB's and choosing between the options of a milk snake, a hoggie, MBK, house snake, BRB or a common boa.

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page

lrv2307
Yearling

United Kingdom
863 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2011 :  19:51:53  Show Profile  Click to see lrv2307's MSN Messenger address  Send lrv2307 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lotabob

Thanks for the pics Louise. {:)] Looks like I'll be ordering myself 2 rubs tomorrow (order at work, get a discount). I have a big mat already to use and just need a stat and some thermometers and some junk to kit them out.

Then I have a decision, 2 RUB's and choosing between the options of a milk snake, a hoggie, MBK, house snake, BRB or a common boa.

when you pierce them for air holes hun, use a soldering iron, then you wont get cracks like you will if you drilled holes

RUB are great xxx

lrv (louise)
Uxbridge, Middlesex
0.1.0 snow - morgana
0.1.0 cali banded king - boudica
0.0.1 crested gecko - galaxy
** wish list**
ghost corn
anery corn
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2011 :  20:22:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Or do what I did and heat up a screwdriver, stab a few holes then sand down any rough edges :)
Go to Top of Page

tehbunneh
Hatchling

United Kingdom
390 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2011 :  20:30:22  Show Profile  Visit tehbunneh's Homepage  Send tehbunneh an AOL message  Click to see tehbunneh's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I've drilled holes in both my RUBs and not had any cracking o.o Just go slow and use a small bit, and you should be fine!

EMZ - WORCESTER, UK

3.2.0 Corn Snakes
0.1.0 Taiwanese Beauty
Taiki (CB11)
Tanis (CB10)
0.0.1 Amazon Tree Boa
Winston (CB??)
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2011 :  20:38:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah I dont have a soldering iron so might just use the screwdriver trick.

I've decided I'm going to invest in 2 big vivariums when Spot & Duke are big enough then move up these 2 new guys into their vivs. Not planning on getting them for a few months yet, just gathering up the bits and bobs and keeping my eye out for 2 lovely snakes. I'm also probably about to take in a adult anery looking for a new home but I'll have more news on that by the end of the week.

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page

Oh How Original
Yearling

United Kingdom
591 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2011 :  23:35:50  Show Profile  Click to see Oh How Original's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
People mistake the word RUB a lot, it stands for Really Useful Box (for anyone who doesn't know)
So basically any box can be one.
personally I have only ever used the heat mat in contact with the RUB so can't comment on the air gap, although I don't see why it would make a difference.
Plus if you use a thermostat and thermometer, the heat should be OK anyway even with an air gap if your heat mat is powerful enough to get up to temp.

When on the Forums, always be nice, stick to the rules and help when you can.
1.0.0 Normal Royal - Ronald.
1.0.0 Carpet Python - Magic.
1.0.0 Amel Corn - Pendulum.
1.0.0 Anery Corn - Chilli.
0.1.0 Snow Corn - Wormsle.
0.1.0 California King x Mexican Black - Lucy.
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko - Bear.
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2011 :  21:33:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have 2, 18 litre rubs arriving tomorrow, hides, foliage, stats, (already have the mat) waterbowls thermometers are on order. I still haven't decided between a MBK, Milk, Hoggie, or a House snake yet. But I really think a hoggie is on the cards if its not too difficult to get my hands on an anery one. They can move into the viv's when Spot and Duke move into their bigger ones.

New to RUBS though so be prepared for even more questions.

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2011 :  21:58:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Oh How Original

People mistake the word RUB a lot, it stands for Really Useful Box (for anyone who doesn't know)
So basically any box can be one.

Not really, the "Really Useful Box" is the name of a product manufactured by one company..

The air flow will be fine, I put a soldering iron through the little dimples and when I mount plants and probe wires, kept my snake alive for a year.

What I'd do is tape mat to the bottom of the RUB on the outside, being outside of the RUB, the snake will be completely safe as he cannot reach it at any time.

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2011 :  21:35:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Starting to take shape nicely. I still haven't tackled the hole making and the heat mat is still in the wardrobe and the stat and thermometers and small exo terra hide (toilet roll standing in for now) are somewhere in the royal mail abyss. I have 2 RUBS but decided to only set 1 up and keep one for later.

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2011 :  21:55:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lotabob

Starting to take shape nicely. I still haven't tackled the hole making and the heat mat is still in the wardrobe and the stat and thermometers and small exo terra hide (toilet roll standing in for now) are somewhere in the royal mail abyss. I have 2 RUBS but decided to only set 1 up and keep one for later.

How are you making the holes? If you are using the heated screwdriver method (as I did) you will need to sand down any rough bits so you will have to take all that out so you can wash away and bits of sand and rubbed off plastic.
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2011 :  22:06:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know, it was just for photographic purposes and testing out whats what. I'm going to use a screwdriver, not needing it ready until April, I'm going away for a few days so will get a new snakey when I get back.

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000