The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 In need of a little help with a snake.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Oh How Original Posted - 16/11/2010 : 23:28:33
Well I got my dad what I was told was an Anery, almost certain it's Charcoal Anery though.
Anyway obviously I am learning quite a bit about them, and I know they need a settling in period before handling.
But my dad naturally got a bit enthuisiastic and decided to handle it straight away for a little bit.
The snake was absolutely fine, it didn't move fast or jump or strike or anything not even once.
So he put it back and we went out, came home about 3-4 hours later, he picked it up again, and it was absolutely fine, never bothered about been handled.
We went back out again for about another 2-3 hours, just come home now, I got my snake out, hes got his out, and it is absolutely fine still.
Just wondering do they absolutely NEED a settling in period?
This snake doesn't seem offish at all, seems calm, relaxed, had a good wander around his hand, up his sleeve, on his chest and his bed and everywhere.
So wondering if leaving it alone for it's settling in period will make it maybe a bit withdrawn, do people think it would be OK to just handle it up until feeding time?
(Sorry this turned into a bit of a story but it seems quite an important subject so wanted to explain well.)
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Oh How Original Posted - 18/11/2010 : 00:04:41
OK thanks folks, no handling until Monday :D
Red123 Posted - 17/11/2010 : 18:37:04
When I got my to litle ones I didn't handle them for 7 days and their temperaments when handling after this time was not effected at all. I think its nice for them to explore and get used to the new smells and sounds in peace without being removed from their faunarium.
Tiffany-x Posted - 17/11/2010 : 07:29:06
Dont worry, he wont get grumpy from not being handled. A week really wont change much. Just make sure you give him clean water every day and everything should be fine. :) He is v.pretty btw. :)
Tiffany-x
Oh How Original Posted - 17/11/2010 : 01:47:56
But if he gives it a settling in period, could it turn nasty from not been handled?
gmac Posted - 16/11/2010 : 23:56:22
it may not need a settling period, but it is advised to let them have that time to get used to their new surroundings and housing. It will minimise the possibility of stressing your new snake, so personally I would let it settle.

aneries hatchlings vary in colours from very dark almost black to lighter brown colours so it may well be an anery and not an anery charcoal
Oh How Original Posted - 16/11/2010 : 23:52:36
OK thanks a lot for the advice, he is due a feed on Saturday, so maybe just handle him on Monday after his foods digested?
Think that would be OK?
lotabob Posted - 16/11/2010 : 23:39:31
Stress can take time to set in so the settling in period is to keep things that will stress the snake to a minimum while it gets used to its new home. The no handling is so you don't overload your snake with too much going on all at once. It might not appear its affecting him until he suddenly STOPS EATING or biting or just been really shy. If the 7 day settling in period works for so many of us its worth while doing even if it appears pointless.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000