The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Using sand as substrate???

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
rachiepotatoe Posted - 04/11/2010 : 20:27:48
So I thought this was a major no-no when housing corns!
But went to a little pet shop today and they had a lovely little corn housed with red sand o.O
So who's right?!

20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Sta~ple Posted - 08/11/2010 : 16:50:05
quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

I've seen scaleless snakes housed on sand. Maybe its better for them as the snad is a lot softer on their skin I imagine than bits of wood and since they have very few scales... not really going to go up their scales. Unless they have belly scales.

even the scaleless snakes have the same problems with impactions.
sand is a no no, for the reasons above, scales or no scales.

There are a few scaleless morphs about at the mo, i think mostly they are corns, personally i havent seen any, it doesnt really interest me, that and i certainly cannot afford one!!!

What if you fed out the tank unless my brain is being dumb on the meaning of impactions. *_*

Indeed you are right Eeeji :o it must have been a snake I saw housed on sand that naturally lived in a sandy place that was scaleless and house on sand x.x
mikerichards Posted - 06/11/2010 : 10:25:06
quote:
Originally posted by stotty01

i swear can give them RI aswell

Sand on its own wont cause an RI, the fact that it will hold a lot of water and potentially raise the humidity could be a factor in the RI arguement.
lotabob Posted - 06/11/2010 : 00:54:44
I've never heard of snakes without scales before and its just not right, a genetic deformity that some horrible breeders are exploiting. With all the reasons snakes need their scales and not even one reason why they wouldn't need them I cant help but think its just cruel. Now if I bred snakes and the result was a scaleless snake, even with the fact they are worth a fortune, an animals suffering is NOT worth it, I would be inclined to put it out of its misery rather than know I've lined my pocket while a snake suffers for the next 20odd years.
stotty01 Posted - 06/11/2010 : 00:17:41
there 5000 dollars according to snakebytetv
Mort13 Posted - 06/11/2010 : 00:07:28
quote:
Originally posted by Katie.Dublin

A scaleless snake????

Yeah,I know.
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9424&whichpage=1
Seems wrong doesn't it. I don't agree with it myself,but thats just my opinion. One of the things I love about snakes and other reptiles is their scales and for them not to have any (well the majority missing) just seems wrong.

Does anyone know what happens shedding wise with these by the way?
eeji Posted - 05/11/2010 : 23:49:37
scaleless snakes still have belly scales ;)
stotty01 Posted - 05/11/2010 : 23:00:42
i swear can give them RI aswell
mikerichards Posted - 05/11/2010 : 22:51:10
double post!!
mikerichards Posted - 05/11/2010 : 22:48:12
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

I've seen scaleless snakes housed on sand. Maybe its better for them as the snad is a lot softer on their skin I imagine than bits of wood and since they have very few scales... not really going to go up their scales. Unless they have belly scales.

even the scaleless snakes have the same problems with impactions.
sand is a no no, for the reasons above, scales or no scales.

There are a few scaleless morphs about at the mo, i think mostly they are corns, personally i havent seen any, it doesnt really interest me, that and i certainly cannot afford one!!!
Katie.Dublin Posted - 05/11/2010 : 17:54:31
A scaleless snake????
Sta~ple Posted - 05/11/2010 : 16:57:55
gingerpony Posted - 05/11/2010 : 14:16:55
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

sand is for kids to play in! :D

oh, and cats to **** in!!!
eeji Posted - 05/11/2010 : 11:25:17
sand is for kids to play in! :D
mikerichards Posted - 05/11/2010 : 09:29:16
quote:
Originally posted by Katie.Dublin

I was told sand can cause mouth rot....! I had mine on it for a few days, exo terra desert sand. Read up on it and moved them off it post haste! It DID look very cool though, with the lines they made through it as hatchies. But obviously snakes health comes WELL before appearances

Just having sand wont have that impact on their health, if the sand gets wet, then that would do it. both mouth rot and scale rot would be brought on by being too damp.
the biggest problem with it is when it gets into the snakes digestive system, it will cause an impaction, so potentially expensive vets bills and worry.
gingerpony Posted - 05/11/2010 : 08:19:38
sand is for sand boas and hoggies
Katie.Dublin Posted - 04/11/2010 : 23:48:08
I was told sand can cause mouth rot....! I had mine on it for a few days, exo terra desert sand. Read up on it and moved them off it post haste! It DID look very cool though, with the lines they made through it as hatchies. But obviously snakes health comes WELL before appearances
drchino Posted - 04/11/2010 : 23:16:21
Has any one ever been to a pet shop and been told something right? I only ever hear them giving bad information!
rachiepotatoe Posted - 04/11/2010 : 21:41:39
Glad I was right, because I was really annoyed afterwards !
I should go back and tell them they're idiots ¬_¬

herriotfan Posted - 04/11/2010 : 20:57:50
As far as I'm aware most of us on here would not use sand. It can cause problems i.e getting under scales, impaction if digested with mouse, irritant for eyes, respiriatory problems etc.
A lot of pet shops have no idea about reptiles and give wrong advice as well as not using correct set ups themselves. Poor little creatures.
DannyBrown91 Posted - 04/11/2010 : 20:52:46
If I remember correctly it dehydrates them.

I imagine the pet shop dosn't know any better, maybe even done it to make the tank look nicer, a potential customer is possibly more likely to buy if the set up looks nice.

Edit: Sika, one of my corns loves to burrow and i find that Aspen is perfect for it.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000