Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

rachiepotatoe
Hatchling

United Kingdom
393 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2010 :  20:27:48  Show Profile  Click to see rachiepotatoe's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
So I thought this was a major no-no when housing corns!
But went to a little pet shop today and they had a lovely little corn housed with red sand o.O
So who's right?!

Sika
Hatchling

350 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2010 :  20:52:14  Show Profile  Visit Sika's Homepage  Click to see Sika's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I would like to know that too!
I've got a hognose who loves to borrow himself and I therefore bought a bag of Exo Terra red dessert sand; but it's so fine, like flour, so I wouldn't give it to him. (asked in the pet shop and they said it was okay to use)
It's so hard to find a good answer....

0.1 Corn snake - Motley Sunglow (Aia)
1.0 Hognose - normal (Vitus)
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2010 :  20:52:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sand can be very abrasive and probably will get under the scales, into the eyes and nostrils. Thats only a few reasons, there are more for sand being a no-no as a substrate.

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2010 :  20:52:46  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If I remember correctly it dehydrates them.

I imagine the pet shop dosn't know any better, maybe even done it to make the tank look nicer, a potential customer is possibly more likely to buy if the set up looks nice.

Edit: Sika, one of my corns loves to burrow and i find that Aspen is perfect for it.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Edited by - DannyBrown91 on 04/11/2010 20:53:59
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2010 :  20:57:50  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
As far as I'm aware most of us on here would not use sand. It can cause problems i.e getting under scales, impaction if digested with mouse, irritant for eyes, respiriatory problems etc.
A lot of pet shops have no idea about reptiles and give wrong advice as well as not using correct set ups themselves. Poor little creatures.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

rachiepotatoe
Hatchling

United Kingdom
393 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2010 :  21:41:39  Show Profile  Click to see rachiepotatoe's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Glad I was right, because I was really annoyed afterwards !
I should go back and tell them they're idiots ¬_¬

Go to Top of Page

drchino
Yearling

United Kingdom
660 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2010 :  23:16:21  Show Profile  Visit drchino's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Has any one ever been to a pet shop and been told something right? I only ever hear them giving bad information!

0.1.0 Izzy - Amber Motley Corn
0.2.0 White rats - Rose and Myra
0.0.1 Crested Gecko - Yoshi
Go to Top of Page

Katie.Dublin
Sub Adult

Ireland
1560 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2010 :  23:48:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was told sand can cause mouth rot....! I had mine on it for a few days, exo terra desert sand. Read up on it and moved them off it post haste! It DID look very cool though, with the lines they made through it as hatchies. But obviously snakes health comes WELL before appearances

0.1 normal (Miami) - Hugo
0.1 hypo Motley - Spunky
0.1 MBK - Tequila. RIP
Horses, bearded dragons, a red tailed boa constrictor, a tortoise, a cat and a dog
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2010 :  08:19:38  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
sand is for sand boas and hoggies

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2010 :  09:29:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Katie.Dublin

I was told sand can cause mouth rot....! I had mine on it for a few days, exo terra desert sand. Read up on it and moved them off it post haste! It DID look very cool though, with the lines they made through it as hatchies. But obviously snakes health comes WELL before appearances

Just having sand wont have that impact on their health, if the sand gets wet, then that would do it. both mouth rot and scale rot would be brought on by being too damp.
the biggest problem with it is when it gets into the snakes digestive system, it will cause an impaction, so potentially expensive vets bills and worry.

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2010 :  11:25:17  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
sand is for kids to play in! :D

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2010 :  14:16:55  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

sand is for kids to play in! :D

oh, and cats to **** in!!!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2010 :  16:57:55  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I've seen scaleless snakes housed on sand. Maybe its better for them as the snad is a lot softer on their skin I imagine than bits of wood and since they have very few scales... not really going to go up their scales. Unless they have belly scales.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Katie.Dublin
Sub Adult

Ireland
1560 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2010 :  17:54:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A scaleless snake????

0.1 normal (Miami) - Hugo
0.1 hypo Motley - Spunky
0.1 MBK - Tequila. RIP
Horses, bearded dragons, a red tailed boa constrictor, a tortoise, a cat and a dog
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2010 :  22:48:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

I've seen scaleless snakes housed on sand. Maybe its better for them as the snad is a lot softer on their skin I imagine than bits of wood and since they have very few scales... not really going to go up their scales. Unless they have belly scales.

even the scaleless snakes have the same problems with impactions.
sand is a no no, for the reasons above, scales or no scales.

There are a few scaleless morphs about at the mo, i think mostly they are corns, personally i havent seen any, it doesnt really interest me, that and i certainly cannot afford one!!!

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2010 :  22:51:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
double post!!

Edited by - mikerichards on 05/11/2010 22:51:40
Go to Top of Page

stotty01
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1168 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2010 :  23:00:42  Show Profile  Click to see stotty01's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i swear can give them RI aswell

my aunties, bestfriends, hairdressers, friends boyfriend had a snake and it stretched out to measure him to eat him......true story.....
1.0.0 tortoise
1.0.0 sinaloan milk snake
1.0.0 jack russel
0.1.0 anery corn medusa
1.0.0 snow corn abomninable
0.1.0 royal python priscilla
http://www.youtube.com/user/stotty01 dads youtube channel

Tail n scales, Linton, Cambs, CB21 4XN, Tel no 01223 893 508 http://www.tails-n-scales.co.uk/

wish list: boa!
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2010 :  23:49:37  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
scaleless snakes still have belly scales ;)

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2010 :  00:07:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Katie.Dublin

A scaleless snake????

Yeah,I know.
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9424&whichpage=1
Seems wrong doesn't it. I don't agree with it myself,but thats just my opinion. One of the things I love about snakes and other reptiles is their scales and for them not to have any (well the majority missing) just seems wrong.

Does anyone know what happens shedding wise with these by the way?

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

stotty01
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1168 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2010 :  00:17:41  Show Profile  Click to see stotty01's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
there 5000 dollars according to snakebytetv

my aunties, bestfriends, hairdressers, friends boyfriend had a snake and it stretched out to measure him to eat him......true story.....
1.0.0 tortoise
1.0.0 sinaloan milk snake
1.0.0 jack russel
0.1.0 anery corn medusa
1.0.0 snow corn abomninable
0.1.0 royal python priscilla
http://www.youtube.com/user/stotty01 dads youtube channel

Tail n scales, Linton, Cambs, CB21 4XN, Tel no 01223 893 508 http://www.tails-n-scales.co.uk/

wish list: boa!
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2010 :  00:54:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've never heard of snakes without scales before and its just not right, a genetic deformity that some horrible breeders are exploiting. With all the reasons snakes need their scales and not even one reason why they wouldn't need them I cant help but think its just cruel. Now if I bred snakes and the result was a scaleless snake, even with the fact they are worth a fortune, an animals suffering is NOT worth it, I would be inclined to put it out of its misery rather than know I've lined my pocket while a snake suffers for the next 20odd years.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000