The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Extended project : )

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Tiffany-x Posted - 09/09/2010 : 19:26:54
Ok, so for my extended project I need to think of a subject. I want it to be based on corn snakes, so I need a title, it must either be a question or a comparison (something v something). Anyone got any ideas about what it could be?
Tiffany-x

BTW its for tomorrow! :P
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kellog Posted - 02/10/2010 : 05:34:45
quote:
Originally posted by Tiffany-x

Ok, after you said that I read through what I wrote and I realised I didnt express myself so well. I actually have to write a letter to some "experts", it needs to be at least one but its recommended that I write to at least 2 or 3. I just guessed that some people on here have a hell of a lot of snakes, so I was wondering if someone could help me by letting me write them a letter and replying to my letter thats all. Dont worry if none of you are up for it, Im sure I can find someone else to help me if not, this is obviously just my first place to try because I kinda know you all and I know how much some of you actually know about these snakes.

Thank you anyway.
Tiffany-x

That is a much better way of putting it Tiffany! And I am sure that some of our experts will be happy to help. You just need to make sure that your letter is asking them specific questions, not just asking them to tell you everything!

Why dont you email a few of the experts on here personally and ask them rather than expecting them to reply to the thread? Mainly because a lot of them are so busy they dont actually get around to reading a lot of the threads, especially in the General Section. Look for those who have a number of different snakes, maybe like Kaz, GMac and MikeRichards (sorry for landing you in it guys!). But when you ask them make sure that you acknowledge how busy they are and that you would totally understand if they cant help.

xxx
Sta~ple Posted - 01/10/2010 : 17:53:56
If you go on the chat, some people may be able to help you.
Tiffany-x Posted - 01/10/2010 : 16:45:31
Ok, after you said that I read through what I wrote and I realised I didnt express myself so well. I actually have to write a letter to some "experts", it needs to be at least one but its recommended that I write to at least 2 or 3. I just guessed that some people on here have a hell of a lot of snakes, so I was wondering if someone could help me by letting me write them a letter and replying to my letter thats all. Dont worry if none of you are up for it, Im sure I can find someone else to help me if not, this is obviously just my first place to try because I kinda know you all and I know how much some of you actually know about these snakes.

Thank you anyway.
Tiffany-x
Kellog Posted - 01/10/2010 : 04:29:44
quote:
Originally posted by Tiffany-x

Hey guys Id really like a hand with this seeing as I dont want to be rude and go asking people, Id prefer people to offer their knowledge. Thanks.
Tiffany-x

There is so much info just on our forum and sister forums Tiffany, I am sure you can find most of what you need. Checkout The King Snake and The Royal Python for info on the other 2 types of snakes.

If you want to talk about ethics then you can see how bad an image reptile keepers have from this thread - Lush! & APA anti reptile campaign....which gives you some links to look at.

I think the point is that YOU do your extended project and not us ! Although if you do have any particular questions or arent sure of anything then I am sure we can help out....

xxx
Tiffany-x Posted - 30/09/2010 : 17:10:39
Hey guys Id really like a hand with this seeing as I dont want to be rude and go asking people, Id prefer people to offer their knowledge. Thanks.
Tiffany-x
Tiffany-x Posted - 29/09/2010 : 16:28:33
Nope, I have to do general studies too! I hate it sooo much!

Now I need someone to help me, this person will be involved in my project, therefore someone who considers themselves of a bit of an expert can you let me know. Thanks.
Tiffany-x
Sta~ple Posted - 29/09/2010 : 07:11:10
My AS essays were never that long. Longest was 2000 words I think. Then again, I have never heard about extended project before, we were just made to take useless general studies so I guess extended project maybe something to get rid of that.
Tiffany-x Posted - 29/09/2010 : 06:57:54
Its maybe longer cause all we have to do is write this one essay and we get an AS? And as far as perfect information goes Im not too fussed seeing as nothing is gonna be checked and the information can all be completely wrong (although mine wont be) as long as everything is ok as far as the writing goes, ie spelling, referencing etc etc.
Tiffany-x
Sta~ple Posted - 28/09/2010 : 23:22:05
How is your AS essay longer than my BA dissertation?

If your talking about good beginner snakes, it also depends where you live in the world. Carpet pythons are good beginners snakes (apprently) in Australia as they aren't allowed without a license to have anything that is non-native to Australia. I have also heard that dwarf boa's make very good starter snakes and Royal's to some people shouldn't be classes as a starter snake. I hope this helps, it might be kinda interesting.

If this link works, here http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/snakes/204566-good-starter-snakes-new-keepers.html XD
Tiffany-x Posted - 28/09/2010 : 21:27:23
quote:
Originally posted by Kazerella

We always advise our students to put the title in the form of a question so that's it's easier to focus on what it's actually about.

Why not try:

'Why are corn snakes becoming increasingly popular for modern pet owners?'

'What advances have been made in the selective breeding of corn snakes and what designer morphs have been created recently?'

'Which species of pet snake is the best for new and inexperienced keepers? Corn snake, King snake or Royal Python?'

Im going with your final one if this is ok? My example title I just had Why keep corn snakes? I orginally just wanted to write about corns but doing this title means I can write about all 3 types of snakes in great detail including ethics morphs etc etc and then come to a conclusion about which is the best for a beginner and why, I think this is my only option to keep up the word count. Thanks again to those of you that helped! :) Im just writing up my 500 word intro now. :P
Tiffany-x
BurnedAtTheStake Posted - 10/09/2010 : 15:00:36
Ah, and an afterthought (you're going to be sick of me) as Matty says - the ethics:

Snakes (or any pet come to that) supply us with something lacking in our very unnatural (in most cases) 21st century lives. If you want to get all new age you could call it something like 'psychic vitamins.'

Therefore we have a duty towards snakes, and all animals, who keep us in touch with 'the wild side'...
BurnedAtTheStake Posted - 10/09/2010 : 14:50:18
quote:
Originally posted by matty18714

I would do it on the ethics of keeping snakes. I find ethics an easy topic to write about as its not too hard to argue each way and therefore allows you to talk about both sides. You can also then end it with your own opinions, which should also up the word count.

Yup, nice one - the word count! Good point!

At this rate you're going to exceed it, which should earn you extra points ...
matty18714 Posted - 10/09/2010 : 14:45:28
I would do it on the ethics of keeping snakes. I find ethics an easy topic to write about as its not too hard to argue each way and therefore allows you to talk about both sides. You can also then end it with your own opinions, which should also up the word count.
BurnedAtTheStake Posted - 10/09/2010 : 14:32:05
Hey, wouldn't that be an idea for a title:

'A walk on the wild side: why people keep snakes in the 21st century'

BurnedAtTheStake Posted - 10/09/2010 : 13:49:04
Hi again - a couple more ideas:

Arguments for snake keeping today: cats and dogs are high-maintenance in terms of time and attention; it may be dangerous for a woman owner to walk her dog alone, and if an owner works or studies full time, as most do, these are not suitable pets.

Fashion: The 21st century stereotype: a young cool flat-dweller, working full time and living in a studio pad with the usual TV, music system, computer etc; everything very Ikea. But this young cool etc etc still wants to commune with nature, take a walk on the wild side, in fact. Therefore, in the streamlined studio pad, there is a streamlined viv, and in the viv there is a corn snake. Placid, easy to care for compared to many other types of snake, will not grow too large, but still ... cool pet. (And can be chosen from a huge number of glamorous and breathtaking morphs.)

Footnote: The cool young owner gets very attached to their cool pet and abandons cool social life for the pleasures of evenings in with Sid, Fluffy or Priscilla, and gabbing about them on the TCS ...

Extra footnote: Note that this image is far removed from previous stereotypes of snake owners, as being creepy stalker/serial killer, or sweaty nerd with collection of snuff movies, a pair of snarling dogs with spiked collars, and an attitude ...

Any good??
Kazerella Posted - 10/09/2010 : 10:07:08
We always advise our students to put the title in the form of a question so that's it's easier to focus on what it's actually about.

Why not try:

'Why are corn snakes becoming increasingly popular for modern pet owners?'

'What advances have been made in the selective breeding of corn snakes and what designer morphs have been created recently?'

'Which species of pet snake is the best for new and inexperienced keepers? Corn snake, King snake or Royal Python?'
lizzyd Posted - 09/09/2010 : 22:57:37
I would just write 8000 words on why snakes are great. Its easy when you are so into them. Once you have done that , read it and choose a title based on what you have written. "Why snakes are great" for example.
Tiffany-x Posted - 09/09/2010 : 22:48:19
Aww, as always the wonderful BATS is helpful! :P Thanks you guys, Im sure your ideas will help me greatly! :)
Tiffany-x
rachiepotatoe Posted - 09/09/2010 : 22:46:38
When i was offered the chance to do an extended project (for more UCAS points) I was told it had to be something like American politics during the 1970's, or some major issue within the education system o.O ..... So I said no.

Why couldnt I do corn snakes T_T !!
BurnedAtTheStake Posted - 09/09/2010 : 21:52:57
Wee...eelll ... yeah, true! But not like the Staffy pup in the yard next to me ...eww! (To say nothing of when they kick it out to scream.) Or the reek of my tomcat (retired) when he's used the bathroom tray ... aagh, where's the joss sticks!

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000