The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 why 18 :(

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 29/08/2010 : 14:08:28
why do u have to be 18 to bye a corn snake :( im not a happy chap lol

edit...move to general
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Mamma Posted - 10/05/2011 : 08:30:44
Its 18 here for reptiles etc too. And as for the local fairs and goldfish, the one here doesnt do them anymore as apparently they are not allowed to give fish away as prizes.

I won one back in 1999 at a fair.... it died last year! It was named the Atomic Flounder as it survived through everything you could possibly think of!
Kehhlyr Posted - 09/05/2011 : 23:33:13
quote:
Originally posted by AliciaRose

I'm 17 and have 1 corn snake (Mitch) and once I went into my local reptile shop and asked for some pinkies.............

I would've simply said that I had only come in for pinkys.
Just because you requested pinkys doesn't necessarily mean it's for a snake.
Is she just gonna say something like "I'm never gonna give you up any food because you haven't said what it's for"?
You could just have been sent in by someone else.
Sta~ple Posted - 09/05/2011 : 22:26:57
quote:
Originally posted by Louise32

Wooo! Old thread revival :D

roffle copter.

Pet shop knowledge is dodgey. The amount that say corns need UV is one example, can you imagine people doing their research saying it doesn't need UV only to be bullied by the petshop that they need UV or they wouldn't sell? Even pets shops with good reputation muck stuff up :(
Invalid User Posted - 09/05/2011 : 22:23:42
Wooo! Old thread revival :D
Ailsa Posted - 09/05/2011 : 22:22:26
I presonally think all reputable pet and reptile shops should vet their customers to make sure their animals are going to responsible people who have the skills and knowledge to properly care for the animal, the last thing anyone wants is for the animal, whether it is a goldfish or 15ft python, to suffer injury or death through inexperience or in some cases sheer cruelty, yes it does happen.

The reptile shop where I bought my first corn snake 1 month ago told me he was happy for me to buy one of his snakes because I had done all the right research, he said if I knew nothing then he would not allow me to buy one of his snakes.
AliciaRose Posted - 09/05/2011 : 21:55:40
I'm 17 and have 1 corn snake (Mitch) and once I went into my local reptile shop and asked for some pinkies, the woman started questioning me on my knowledge of what I knew about corn snakes. So personally I do think people also judge on age, even appearance, obviously she didn't know i'd had them all around me as a child and I know quite abit.
But i'm not like alot of other 17 year olds, I do not go out and drink every weekend, I like going to parties but what 17 year old doesnt. I do know my boundries and my snake comes before most things.
Claude Posted - 07/09/2010 : 16:25:02
Agree with FiestaSTLou and mikerichards here. Not about how irritating it is for you. You should really be happy pet shops take that extra care ensuring their animals are treated properly for the whole of their lives.
FiestaSTLou Posted - 07/09/2010 : 16:15:17
I agree BATS, when we got our first snake, cecil the royal, mark at ameyz took the time to ask about where we where keeping him, would we hve the time to and money to look after him and went through all the care to make sure we would be able to care, this i think is a essential to do for all new owners regardless of age, but sadly not alot of shops do that, they just say "that will be £££'s have a nice day".

Tiffany i can see where your coming from, it must be frustrating when you are responsable, but i disagree where you said you think no many people would bring pets home without permission, unless their ****s, unfortunantly there are MANY ****s, when i was at school i had friends who would brag they had got this dog, or that lizzard then the next week they where at another mates home as the original friends parents had said no.. and back on the goldfish subject, i am guilty of this, when i was between 13-14 we had local fairs and you could win goldfish, they didnt want parents there, but i must have come home once with 5 or 6 fish... my mum wasnt impressed but luckily she went out and bought a few bowls for them, but i did end up taking friends fish in as they had gone home from the fair with these gold fish and told to flush them down the toilet!

Tiffany-x Posted - 07/09/2010 : 15:15:25
Im sorry but if you read properly I said if people were mature then it would be 16, I know most people my age are far too irresponsible. Thats not my fault, all Im saying is that it is flipping well irritating when we are mature enough but we cant do things we want because everyone else is far too immature. I dont think many people would buy pets and not tell their parents though unless they are just complete t*ts! And can I just remind you I am allowed to have my view, I dont think its cruel to the animals to change the law cause if the law was to be changed it would only be if people young enough could be responsible. Im sorry if you misunderstand me, but thats not my problem Im afraid!
Tiffany-x
BurnedAtTheStake Posted - 06/09/2010 : 22:07:43
A good shop should vet any prospective owner, whether they are 16 or 60.
mikerichards Posted - 06/09/2010 : 21:42:12
quote:
Originally posted by Tiffany-x

quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

quote:
Originally posted by eeji

your local pikeys are breaking the law if they give a kid a goldfish as a prize if they don't have someone over 16 with them

Cos that would be a first!!!

The Laws are there to protect the animals, whether it makes it more difficult for you to buy a cornsnake is not taking the ****.
Just go with your parents, its simple.

Only those who wish to break the law whinge about it.

Im sorry but I disagree with you, it is extremely irritating for people who are towards the end of the age limit because some of us are actually mature enough to keep pets, and if everyone was as mature as the mature minority the age limit would be lower, more like 16! So it is irritating, and we can be annoyed, just as I am about it.
Tiffany-x

That's quite a selfish attitude, so because you are a responsible keeper, the age should be lowered so its easier for YOU. What about The overall good of the animals? Is it not worth the minor inconvenience knowing that atleast the pet shop owner IS being responsible?
Too many animals are bought illegally because people flout the rules, would you really like to see that law changed, knowing that nearly all 16 yr olds are living at home, and potentially not able or allowed to keep that animal, most likely ending up with the death of that animal.

People who accept the rules knowing they are there to protect the welfare of those animals are at the forefront of the responsible keepers.
Those who won't respect that law and its ultimate responsibility are being blindly ignorant to that.
FiestaSTLou Posted - 06/09/2010 : 21:06:51
The way i see it is majority of people under 18 live with their parents, meaning that they would need their parents permission to have the animal in the house, if the law wasnt in place and someone under that age came home with a animal that wsnt allowed to stay where would that leave the animal?? stuck? no fault of the animal.

i know theres people that have permission and are responsible but for the sake of stopping the few that are not, i think the law is good and if you have permission from your parents to have that animal then surly they would not mind going with you to get it?
Tiffany-x Posted - 06/09/2010 : 17:19:27
quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

quote:

your local pikeys are breaking the law if they give a kid a goldfish as a prize if they don't have someone over 16 with them

The Laws are there to protect the animals, whether it makes it more difficult for you to buy a cornsnake is not taking the ****.

Im sorry but I disagree with you, it is extremely irritating for people who are towards the end of the age limit because some of us are actually mature enough to keep pets, and if everyone was as mature as the mature minority the age limit would be lower, more like 16! So it is irritating, and we can be annoyed, just as I am about it.
Tiffany-x
BurnedAtTheStake Posted - 06/09/2010 : 16:48:02
quote:
Originally posted by miss_mystra

quote:

i agree, just take an adult with you, not that big a deal if you want to get a pet.. the law is there to protect the animals... if only there were more laws in place to stop the morons who are over 18 from buying them and sticking them on gumtree to swap for an xbox 360 etc etc... don't even get me started... lol is there a "What really grinds my gears" thread on here!?

Yup, you said it! Bad owners are bad owners, regardless of age.

Hey, cool idea for thread! It would run for ever!
miss_mystra Posted - 06/09/2010 : 13:54:38
quote:

i agree, just take an adult with you, not that big a deal if you want to get a pet.. the law is there to protect the animals... if only there were more laws in place to stop the morons who are over 18 from buying them and sticking them on gumtree to swap for an xbox 360 etc etc... don't even get me started... lol is there a "What really grinds my gears" thread on here!?
mikerichards Posted - 31/08/2010 : 10:25:23
quote:

eeji Posted - 30/08/2010 : 23:27:59
yup, its law: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/45/contents

section 1(1) defines an 'animal' the law applies to as any vertibrate other than man so covers goldfish
(http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/45/section/1)

section 2 defines a protected animal as
(a)it is of a kind which is commonly domesticated in the British Islands,
(b)it is under the control of man whether on a permanent or temporary basis, or
(c)it is not living in a wild state.
so covers goldfish on a hook-a-duck stall
(http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/45/section/2)

section 11(2) covers 'transfering ownership' which will cover giving goldfish as prizes
(http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/45/section/11)

stotty01 Posted - 30/08/2010 : 21:58:21
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

You have to be 16 to even buy a goldfish anywhere now :/ but I can understand why he might have say 18. I bet they have had kids buying animals and then angry parents taking them back. Is there no parent or "adult" you could take with you to buy one?

not true....you can win them at our local fair whatever the age :S

i didnt even know there was a law on them :S
Tiffany-x Posted - 30/08/2010 : 15:56:52
You can say that again!! :P
Tiffany-x
n/a Posted - 30/08/2010 : 14:44:26
it takes the ****

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000