why do u have to be 18 to bye a corn snake :( im not a happy chap lol

edit...move to general

conor

Edited by - lee2308 on 29/08/2010 14:42:01

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2010 :  14:22:16  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Haha its the same with most animals because us children simply cannot look after any animals, lmfao! Cant you take an older family member with you?
Tiffany-x

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2010 :  14:43:01  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i didnt even know the was a age restriction,is it just a shop policy or law?

Go to Top of Page

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2010 :  14:46:15  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Im not sure if its law but every pet shot Ive been to you have to be 18 or with an adult to buy a pet, counts for anything from dogs to rabbits to snakes. :)
Tiffany-x

Go to Top of Page

Figs
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3319 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2010 :  14:48:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its 16 in the shops near me
Go to Top of Page

BurnedAtTheStake
Yearling

United Kingdom
915 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2010 :  15:31:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I suppose the general idea is that younger people might not have permission from parents and that the animal might not be welcome in the house - or that they are more prone to make impulse buys and neglect the animal once the novelty wears off ... NOT TRUE. The worst pet owners I've come across have been so-called 'mature' and 'responsible' adults ...

But yes, the only thing someone 'underage' can do is to go to the shop with an adult to vouch for them.

Good luck in future.
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2010 :  19:56:38  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
afaik its against the law to sell any pet to anyone under 16 unless accompanied by an adult

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2010 :  20:26:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the law is 16 too eeji, but I can totaly understand why a shop wouldnt sell to an under 18.

Go to Top of Page

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2010 :  20:51:53  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I can understand exactly why they dont sell to under 18's, so many times before I have had pets that my parents took over because I got a bored of it when I was far younger. And teens are sometimes a bit lazy and stuff but I think most teens are too busy being teens to have a pet. Its a difficult subject. Us teens get a lot of stick because of immature losers ruining it but I guess I just need to get over that. Lol.
Tiffany-x

Go to Top of Page

BurnedAtTheStake
Yearling

United Kingdom
915 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2010 :  20:56:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tiffany-x

I can understand exactly why they dont sell to under 18's, so many times before I have had pets that my parents took over because I got a bored of it when I was far younger. And teens are sometimes a bit lazy and stuff but I think most teens are too busy being teens to have a pet. Its a difficult subject. Us teens get a lot of stick because of immature losers ruining it but I guess I just need to get over that. Lol.
Tiffany-x

You said it. It's often the irresponsible minority ruining it for the majority - goes for nearly every walk of life, I'm afraid ...
Go to Top of Page

drchino
Yearling

United Kingdom
660 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2010 :  03:20:06  Show Profile  Visit drchino's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Had no idea there was an age restriction. I guess it's a good thing though, most parents wouldn't be too happy with their kids bringing home a new pet without any warning!

0.1.0 Izzy - Amber Motley Corn
0.2.0 White rats - Rose and Myra
0.0.1 Crested Gecko - Yoshi
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2010 :  08:51:10  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You have to be 16 to even buy a goldfish anywhere now :/ but I can understand why he might have say 18. I bet they have had kids buying animals and then angry parents taking them back. Is there no parent or "adult" you could take with you to buy one?

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

23 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2010 :  14:44:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it takes the ****

conor
Go to Top of Page

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2010 :  15:56:52  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You can say that again!! :P
Tiffany-x

Go to Top of Page

stotty01
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1168 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2010 :  21:58:21  Show Profile  Click to see stotty01's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

You have to be 16 to even buy a goldfish anywhere now :/ but I can understand why he might have say 18. I bet they have had kids buying animals and then angry parents taking them back. Is there no parent or "adult" you could take with you to buy one?

not true....you can win them at our local fair whatever the age :S

i didnt even know there was a law on them :S

my aunties, bestfriends, hairdressers, friends boyfriend had a snake and it stretched out to measure him to eat him......true story.....
1.0.0 tortoise
1.0.0 sinaloan milk snake
1.0.0 jack russel
0.1.0 anery corn medusa
1.0.0 snow corn abomninable
0.1.0 royal python priscilla
http://www.youtube.com/user/stotty01 dads youtube channel

Tail n scales, Linton, Cambs, CB21 4XN, Tel no 01223 893 508 http://www.tails-n-scales.co.uk/

wish list: boa!
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2010 :  23:27:59  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
yup, its law: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/45/contents

section 1(1) defines an 'animal' the law applies to as any vertibrate other than man so covers goldfish
(http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/45/section/1)

section 2 defines a protected animal as
(a)it is of a kind which is commonly domesticated in the British Islands,
(b)it is under the control of man whether on a permanent or temporary basis, or
(c)it is not living in a wild state.
so covers goldfish on a hook-a-duck stall
(http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/45/section/2)

section 11(2) covers 'transfering ownership' which will cover giving goldfish as prizes
(http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/45/section/11)

your local pikeys are breaking the law if they give a kid a goldfish as a prize if they don't have someone over 16 with them

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2010 :  10:25:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

your local pikeys are breaking the law if they give a kid a goldfish as a prize if they don't have someone over 16 with them

Cos that would be a first!!!

The Laws are there to protect the animals, whether it makes it more difficult for you to buy a cornsnake is not taking the ****.
Just go with your parents, its simple.

Only those who wish to break the law whinge about it.

Go to Top of Page

miss_mystra
Hatchling

United Kingdom
127 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2010 :  13:54:38  Show Profile  Visit miss_mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

The Laws are there to protect the animals, whether it makes it more difficult for you to buy a cornsnake is not taking the ****.

i agree, just take an adult with you, not that big a deal if you want to get a pet.. the law is there to protect the animals... if only there were more laws in place to stop the morons who are over 18 from buying them and sticking them on gumtree to swap for an xbox 360 etc etc... don't even get me started... lol is there a "What really grinds my gears" thread on here!?

0.0.2 Corn Snakes - Betty (Anery) and Sanchez (Carolina)
1.0.0 - Royal Python - Chancho
Go to Top of Page

BurnedAtTheStake
Yearling

United Kingdom
915 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2010 :  16:48:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by miss_mystra

quote:

i agree, just take an adult with you, not that big a deal if you want to get a pet.. the law is there to protect the animals... if only there were more laws in place to stop the morons who are over 18 from buying them and sticking them on gumtree to swap for an xbox 360 etc etc... don't even get me started... lol is there a "What really grinds my gears" thread on here!?

Yup, you said it! Bad owners are bad owners, regardless of age.

Hey, cool idea for thread! It would run for ever!
Go to Top of Page

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2010 :  17:19:27  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

quote:
Originally posted by eeji

Cos that would be a first!!!

Im sorry but I disagree with you, it is extremely irritating for people who are towards the end of the age limit because some of us are actually mature enough to keep pets, and if everyone was as mature as the mature minority the age limit would be lower, more like 16! So it is irritating, and we can be annoyed, just as I am about it.
Tiffany-x

Go to Top of Page

FiestaSTLou
Yearling

United Kingdom
556 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2010 :  21:06:51  Show Profile  Visit FiestaSTLou's Homepage  Click to see FiestaSTLou's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The way i see it is majority of people under 18 live with their parents, meaning that they would need their parents permission to have the animal in the house, if the law wasnt in place and someone under that age came home with a animal that wsnt allowed to stay where would that leave the animal?? stuck? no fault of the animal.

i know theres people that have permission and are responsible but for the sake of stopping the few that are not, i think the law is good and if you have permission from your parents to have that animal then surly they would not mind going with you to get it?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000