The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 crickets - yum yum ; )

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
joetheimpaler Posted - 11/07/2010 : 10:30:16
is it ok to feed hatchling snakes crickets sometimes but not as a staple diet and if so how many and can you feed them to the snake alive so it can hunt them? because i want to do something different!
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
mikerichards Posted - 15/07/2010 : 10:40:34
The bottom line mate, no matter what you said in your original post, is that crickets are a waste of time and money. Crickets hold no nutritional benefit for the snake at all, and they are also dangerous too, crickets have to eat, and if the snake wasnt to eat it, the cricket would eat the snake, maybe not by much, but it would certainly do damage that would require time, effort and money to rectify, quite possibly even a visit to the vet.
So yeah, there is no point at all.

Incidentally, what would you do if the snake developed a liking to crickets and wouldnt take mice willingly??
The same can happen with chicks, so dont bother with them either.
Fal Posted - 15/07/2010 : 09:18:31
I don't even feed crickets to my lizards. Their exo skeleton is hard to dygest and they have low protein and little to no calcium. In fact, my bearded dragon and leopard gecko have been on locust for so long, they won't touch crickets anymore, and when we last tried one on the beardy, he threw it back up which is the only time he's ever done that. I doubt corns would eat them in the wild to be honest. They'd just spend their time looking for rodents which, when eaten, would last them long enough by far to find the next meal.
Sta~ple Posted - 12/07/2010 : 19:58:12
McDonalds can be a perfectly staple diet with the fruits and salads they have :p as salted as they are... just only the insane go to McDonalds for something healthy lol

Has anyone actually seen a corn eat a cricket? Would they eat locust as mealworms as well if they eat crickets? Would they do this in the wild? If you want to give him different food you might be better of with chicks feet, chicks, hamster and other rodents although they wouldn't be good to feed a lot.
Kehhlyr Posted - 12/07/2010 : 19:06:14
Why would you eat mcdonalds???
You couldn't live on it as a staple diet, but have it as a nice (if you like it) treat every so often.

DannyBrown91 Posted - 12/07/2010 : 18:37:23
quote:
Originally posted by joetheimpaler

i did say 'NOT as a staple diet' in the OP by the way

Im just somewhat lost as to why you would bother to do it? They would get next to nothing from them nutrient wise, kind of pointless me thinks.
joetheimpaler Posted - 12/07/2010 : 16:40:09
i did say 'NOT as a staple diet' in the OP by the way
Kehhlyr Posted - 11/07/2010 : 23:44:00
quote:
Originally posted by tinamiles

dont crickets have no bones+instead have an external 'exo' skeleton....so how would crickets give them their calcium requirements??

They couldn't, hence is why they could never be a staple diet and other animals that do eat them need them dusting with a calcium supplement.
tinamiles Posted - 11/07/2010 : 20:43:39
dont crickets have no bones+instead have an external 'exo' skeleton....so how would crickets give them their calcium requirements??
DannyBrown91 Posted - 11/07/2010 : 19:56:22
I've heard of corns eating crickets before, but never thought it would be something they would look at as prey. But i always thought that they would have next to no nutrirional value.

Its certainly not something that would even cross my mind when it comes to feeding my snakes.
Sta~ple Posted - 11/07/2010 : 18:54:23
Would a corn even be interested in a cricket and know that it's food?
mikerichards Posted - 11/07/2010 : 11:40:15
Crickets are a waste of a meal, if you can feed baby mice then there is no point at all to feed crickets.
As above too, they can and do bite, and can cause a fair bit of damage.
herriotfan Posted - 11/07/2010 : 11:32:48
I wouldn't. Crickets can be nasty little beggers, they bite! Stick with mice.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000