crickets - yum yum ; )
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

joetheimpaler
Egg

United Kingdom
84 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2010 :  10:30:16  Show Profile  Visit joetheimpaler's Homepage  Reply with Quote
is it ok to feed hatchling snakes crickets sometimes but not as a staple diet and if so how many and can you feed them to the snake alive so it can hunt them? because i want to do something different!

1 dog-indie
3 cats-martha,meow and pippin,
1 corn snake -Topaz.
4 chickens - Psycho, Dutch, Alan and ownage

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2010 :  11:32:48  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't. Crickets can be nasty little beggers, they bite! Stick with mice.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2010 :  11:40:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Crickets are a waste of a meal, if you can feed baby mice then there is no point at all to feed crickets.
As above too, they can and do bite, and can cause a fair bit of damage.

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2010 :  18:54:23  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Would a corn even be interested in a cricket and know that it's food?

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2010 :  19:56:22  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I've heard of corns eating crickets before, but never thought it would be something they would look at as prey. But i always thought that they would have next to no nutrirional value.

Its certainly not something that would even cross my mind when it comes to feeding my snakes.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

tinamiles
Hatchling

United Kingdom
255 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2010 :  20:43:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
dont crickets have no bones+instead have an external 'exo' skeleton....so how would crickets give them their calcium requirements??

1.1 Cornsnake: Fluffy and Blaze
1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa: Falcor
0.1 Bearded dragon: Chilli
1.1 Cats: Jackson and Mia
1.0 Fiance: Ade :)
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2010 :  23:44:00  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tinamiles

dont crickets have no bones+instead have an external 'exo' skeleton....so how would crickets give them their calcium requirements??

They couldn't, hence is why they could never be a staple diet and other animals that do eat them need them dusting with a calcium supplement.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

joetheimpaler
Egg

United Kingdom
84 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2010 :  16:40:09  Show Profile  Visit joetheimpaler's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i did say 'NOT as a staple diet' in the OP by the way

1 dog-indie
3 cats-martha,meow and pippin,
1 corn snake -Topaz.
4 chickens - Psycho, Dutch, Alan and ownage
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2010 :  18:37:23  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by joetheimpaler

i did say 'NOT as a staple diet' in the OP by the way

Im just somewhat lost as to why you would bother to do it? They would get next to nothing from them nutrient wise, kind of pointless me thinks.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2010 :  19:06:14  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Why would you eat mcdonalds???
You couldn't live on it as a staple diet, but have it as a nice (if you like it) treat every so often.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2010 :  19:58:12  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
McDonalds can be a perfectly staple diet with the fruits and salads they have :p as salted as they are... just only the insane go to McDonalds for something healthy lol

Has anyone actually seen a corn eat a cricket? Would they eat locust as mealworms as well if they eat crickets? Would they do this in the wild? If you want to give him different food you might be better of with chicks feet, chicks, hamster and other rodents although they wouldn't be good to feed a lot.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Fal
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2010 :  09:18:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't even feed crickets to my lizards. Their exo skeleton is hard to dygest and they have low protein and little to no calcium. In fact, my bearded dragon and leopard gecko have been on locust for so long, they won't touch crickets anymore, and when we last tried one on the beardy, he threw it back up which is the only time he's ever done that. I doubt corns would eat them in the wild to be honest. They'd just spend their time looking for rodents which, when eaten, would last them long enough by far to find the next meal.

Corn Snake - Bella. Bearded Dragon - Draco. Leopard Gecko - Mojo. Cat - Neo. In our family we also have: Cali King Snake, Spiny Flower Mantis (RIP), African Lined Mantis (RIP), Ghost Mantis (RIP), four Hermit Crabs, a Budgy and a Dog - Mystie... oh and a YAMAHA YZF-R1 but she's feeling a bit neglected at the moment :(

Edited by - Fal on 15/07/2010 09:19:11
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2010 :  10:40:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The bottom line mate, no matter what you said in your original post, is that crickets are a waste of time and money. Crickets hold no nutritional benefit for the snake at all, and they are also dangerous too, crickets have to eat, and if the snake wasnt to eat it, the cricket would eat the snake, maybe not by much, but it would certainly do damage that would require time, effort and money to rectify, quite possibly even a visit to the vet.
So yeah, there is no point at all.

Incidentally, what would you do if the snake developed a liking to crickets and wouldnt take mice willingly??
The same can happen with chicks, so dont bother with them either.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000