The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 other pets

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
tylerma Posted - 05/07/2010 : 23:01:57
as title what other pets do you keep other than your snakes
and pics please if you can

here is mine

her name is Jess and she is 15 years old
and still as mad as the day we got her
couldnt wish for a better dog

20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
DannyBrown91 Posted - 17/07/2010 : 10:52:52
Well you know they say you learn something new everyday
mrsT Posted - 17/07/2010 : 10:41:01
He's a crossbreed but we don't know what he's crossed with!Battersea said the original owners didn't know either,which is a shame as we'd love to know.We can see so many traits of different breeds in him,he's a proper bitsa!!
tbh i didn't even know you could get american akitas!i've seen the ones with the darker faces,theres a couple that live in my area,and they are beautiful looking dogs,i'd just assumed they were japanese akitas.
sounds like its a halti you've tried for walking Sasha??we had one for Zak,cant say it made any difference at all and he hated it!
DannyBrown91 Posted - 17/07/2010 : 09:56:22
Im glad i have made you reconsider Akitas, because they are wonderful dogs.

I would go for a Japanese, rather than American though.

The Japanese Akitas are the pure bred Akitas. They were used for hunting bears and other large game in Japan and are truly wonderfull dogs.

The "American Akitas" arn't actually true akitas at all, they are crosses between japanese akitas, german shepards and probably a couple of others.

American soldiers brought them home after the 2nd world war and cross bred them to make them bigger and more violent in order to make them fighting dogs. You can tell the difference because American "Akitas" are much darker, usually black and grey and will have a dark mask. Japanese Akitas on the other hand tend to come in beige, white and red although a japanese Akita with a black/grey and white coat isn't impossible they always have white faces.

He really does sound like sasha lol. Especially the yanking of the arm, my mum went out and bought a new lead which goes around her head to stop her pullng because she hurts her arms, but it dosn't really bother me, probably because my mums a wuss, so i just use her harness. I don't really like the head collar thing.

What breed is Zak?
mrsT Posted - 17/07/2010 : 08:29:39
quote:

[quote]Originally posted by DannyBrown91

They have a reputation for being dog aggressive and will fight to the death if they feel the need to, but sasha is usually ok, the couple of times shes gone for another dog its been because the other dog has come running over off the lead.

One thing i can say is that sasha is very predictable and you can read her body language very well.

Alot of websites say you shouldn't let Akitas off the lead because they can be dog aggressive and can run for over a mile non stop. I havn't let sasha off the lead yet simply because she is still a puppy and has a pretty high hunting instinct so if she sees a bird, rabbit, squirrell even leaves at times and she's off but the lead i take her out on is fairly long.

One thing i did read alot was that they are very very loyal dogs and are extremely familly orientated, for the 6 months we have had sasha it really shows, so they don't take well to being rehomed.

Infact sasha dosn't even like being on her own, she hates being locked down stairs of a night and now that she is big enough has started jumping over the safety gates we have on the stairs so that she can sleep upstairs with us.

I wouldn't advise somebody to get an Akita as a first dog as they can be very head strong and can be hard to train, but other than that they are amazing dogs, and are an extremely intelligent breed.

I would thoroughly recommend them to anybody who has had some experience with training a dog, but would also recommend doing a little research just to make sure that they are what you are looking for as they can be a handfull at times and do take a fair amount of looking after.

Sasha gets brushed every day and usually goes on 2 walks a day, along with playing in the garden.

[

Lol after reading that i can see a few simarlarities with Zak!He wont sleep down stairs either he has his bed at the side of ours.
He was 18 months old when we got him,and his previous owners had done no training with him at all.he was basically left out in the garden most of the time,and was very boistrous and hyper,due to copmlete lack of training and exercise.
I did training classes with him,and was warned by the trainer that it would be alot harder to train him at that age as he'd grown up with no boundaries or discipline.It was bloody hard work,but enjoyable and really helped us bond with him,but we persevered and although he's still a little bugger at times he really is a different dog now,and def not as stupid as he looks lol.he's not good at walking on the lead without pulling my arm out of its socket,but at least he does come back now when he's off the lead....took us nearly 2 years to get him to do that lol

Thank you for replying Danny,I really wasn't over keen on getting an Akita but hubby has his heart set on getting one , one day.Your reply has made me think twice about Akitas and i'd def consider one now.Sashas temperament/personality really reminds me of Zak in some ways,he's very head strong,but so loyal and sweet natured too.
DannyBrown91 Posted - 16/07/2010 : 10:25:26
quote:
Originally posted by reptiledanny

not bad size then, how big a cage will he go in?

Not sure yet, most males tend to average out at around 6ft so i'll probably either make my own, or look at the VX48/Modx vivariums.
reptiledanny Posted - 16/07/2010 : 08:40:57
not bad size then, how big a cage will he go in?
DannyBrown91 Posted - 15/07/2010 : 20:27:38
quote:
Originally posted by mrsT

quote:
Originally posted by DannyBrown91

She has an absolutely great temperament, has never growled or shown her teeth at anyone and that in itself is a bit of an achievement as our house can be pretty mental at times.

She can be a little skittish around people she dosn't know from time to time but shes no where near as bad now as she was a couple of months ago.

She's ok with male dogs, just wants to play all the time but can get a bit snappy with other females.

We did alot of research for around 3 months before we picked her up, what was it that put you off?

Were you looking at Japanese or American Akitas?

the lady i spoke to ran a japanese akita rescue.she basically told me that they're really aggressive and unpredictable.also that they don't give off any body language so other dogs wouldn't know if the akita was friendly or not and would probably act aggressive towards the akita,that i would never be able to let it off the lead and when i was out walking it i should always position the dog between myself and a wall or bush so if someone came walking towards me with a dog and the akita went for it i could pin it to the wall!!i am a responsible and experienced dog owner and tbh i dont believe alot of what she said but it just kind of put me off a bit if you know what i mean?but then i guess theres good and bad with any breed and alot of it depends on the owner.
Sasha really is adorable looks like she wouldn't harm a fly

They have a reputation for being dog aggressive and will fight to the death if they feel the need to, but sasha is usually ok, the couple of times shes gone for another dog its been because the other dog has come running over off the lead.

One thing i can say is that sasha is very predictable and you can read her body language very well.

Alot of websites say you shouldn't let Akitas off the lead because they can be dog aggressive and can run for over a mile non stop. I havn't let sasha off the lead yet simply because she is still a puppy and has a pretty high hunting instinct so if she sees a bird, rabbit, squirrell even leaves at times and she's off but the lead i take her out on is fairly long.

One thing i did read alot was that they are very very loyal dogs and are extremely familly orientated, for the 6 months we have had sasha it really shows, so they don't take well to being rehomed.

Infact sasha dosn't even like being on her own, she hates being locked down stairs of a night and now that she is big enough has started jumping over the safety gates we have on the stairs so that she can sleep upstairs with us.

I wouldn't advise somebody to get an Akita as a first dog as they can be very head strong and can be hard to train, but other than that they are amazing dogs, and are an extremely intelligent breed.

I would thoroughly recommend them to anybody who has had some experience with training a dog, but would also recommend doing a little research just to make sure that they are what you are looking for as they can be a handfull at times and do take a fair amount of looking after.

Sasha gets brushed every day and usually goes on 2 walks a day, along with playing in the garden.

quote:
Originally posted by reptiledanny

how big will rocky get??

About 6-7 ft i reckon.
reptiledanny Posted - 15/07/2010 : 19:54:18
how big will rocky get??
mrsT Posted - 15/07/2010 : 19:33:44
quote:
Originally posted by DannyBrown91

She has an absolutely great temperament, has never growled or shown her teeth at anyone and that in itself is a bit of an achievement as our house can be pretty mental at times.

She can be a little skittish around people she dosn't know from time to time but shes no where near as bad now as she was a couple of months ago.

She's ok with male dogs, just wants to play all the time but can get a bit snappy with other females.

We did alot of research for around 3 months before we picked her up, what was it that put you off?

the lady i spoke to ran a japanese akita rescue.she basically told me that they're really aggressive and unpredictable.also that they don't give off any body language so other dogs wouldn't know if the akita was friendly or not and would probably act aggressive towards the akita,that i would never be able to let it off the lead and when i was out walking it i should always position the dog between myself and a wall or bush so if someone came walking towards me with a dog and the akita went for it i could pin it to the wall!!i am a responsible and experienced dog owner and tbh i dont believe alot of what she said but it just kind of put me off a bit if you know what i mean?but then i guess theres good and bad with any breed and alot of it depends on the owner.
Sasha really is adorable looks like she wouldn't harm a fly
DannyBrown91 Posted - 14/07/2010 : 23:11:23
quote:
Originally posted by Sizzlesmum

Nice snake Danny

Sasha is so cute, love her second pic

She seems to have her tongue out permanently lol, its pretty funny when she runs around the garden and her tongue is just flopping out to the side...

Rocky is just coming upto a shed i think, so will post a couple of pics after he does.
Sizzlesmum Posted - 14/07/2010 : 20:57:02
Nice snake Danny

Sasha is so cute, love her second pic
DannyBrown91 Posted - 14/07/2010 : 15:15:21
quote:
Originally posted by hillzi

Nice wallpaper danny.

Great isn't it.

It used to be my twin brothers bedroom, but i've been in there for like 3 years now so no excuses really lol, just cba redocrating.
hillzi Posted - 14/07/2010 : 14:20:40
Nice wallpaper danny.
DannyBrown91 Posted - 14/07/2010 : 14:15:09

mrsT Posted - 14/07/2010 : 12:56:36
Danny - Sasha is gorgeous!My hubby would be so jealous he really wants an Akita.
We did think about getting one when we were looking for a dog,but after speaking to an Akita rescue the lady really put me off but then if she hadn't we wouldnt have got zak so i'm not too sad can I ask what her temperament is like and how she is with other dogs?
crazy JJ Posted - 14/07/2010 : 00:10:32
n'awww Danny sasha is sooooo adorable :D

DannyBrown91 Posted - 13/07/2010 : 19:52:56
I finally got around to taking a couple of pictures so now you can all see my other pets (again).

First off my male BCI Rocky.

and last but not least, Sasha, my 8 month old Heffalump Japanese Akita.

After being woke up...

How could you not love a face like this...
hillzi Posted - 13/07/2010 : 14:55:37
Don't care much for furries, but some wicked looking dogs and other reptiles in here, I've only got the 2 snakes. Sorry no photos for me.
mrsT Posted - 13/07/2010 : 14:13:15
quote:
Originally posted by Sizzlesmum

Awwww MrsT Zak is adorable,

Love the pic of him tucked up in bed I would spoil him rotten too lol

What age is he now?

he's 4 and a half now....time flies!
lizzyd Posted - 12/07/2010 : 23:20:48
Hulk. 4 yrs old.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000