The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 biology homework.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
stotty01 Posted - 01/07/2010 : 17:43:34
hey guys science teacher asked us to reserch our 5 fav animals and we need to know how many diploids and haploids are in our animals, my tops one was corn snake as you do does anyone know the answere??? help appreciated :)
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Sta~ple Posted - 02/07/2010 : 08:34:56
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

..........On an off topic, did you know there are records of some snake's laying fertile eggs without ever being mated? The eggs come out like clones from the mum/dad what ever you would call it. Might be interesting for your thing to mention although I don't think a corn has ever done it :/

The phrase (from recollection) is parthenogenic, it's rare for it to happen, more so in snakes compared to things like Komodo dragons.
I think we've had a fairly in depth discussion about it in the past, it's interesting stuff.

Really? Wow I pictured it to be more common in snakes than in some lizards. That's cool I should have a dig round for it, although I probably won't understand it but its fascinating to know that kind of stuff.
Kehhlyr Posted - 02/07/2010 : 00:57:29
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

..........On an off topic, did you know there are records of some snake's laying fertile eggs without ever being mated? The eggs come out like clones from the mum/dad what ever you would call it. Might be interesting for your thing to mention although I don't think a corn has ever done it :/

The phrase (from recollection) is parthenogenic, it's rare for it to happen, more so in snakes compared to things like Komodo dragons.
I think we've had a fairly in depth discussion about it in the past, it's interesting stuff.
n/a Posted - 01/07/2010 : 22:46:31
yeah, what mike said.....
mikerichards Posted - 01/07/2010 : 21:28:22
I dont know am afraid, Kates not a vet, shes a veterinary haematologist!

Oooh, info for you!
They have 36 chromosomes, in 18 pairs.

Apparently the question you have been asked is far more complicated than than a simple answer.
but again, apparently the answer is (haploid) = n, and (diploid) = 2n.
all sex cells are haploid, and all other cells in the body are diploid, except in plants.

Basically to put it bluntly I would say the question you have been asked is more how many chromosomes are in the haploid and diploid cells in a snake (and 4 other species).
Therefore there are 36 chromosomes in a corn snakes diploid cells and 18 chromosomes in a corn snakes hapolid cells.
Sta~ple Posted - 01/07/2010 : 20:16:49
quote:
Originally posted by reptiledanny

what are diploids and heploids???

Diploids are like (if I remember correctly) are a double set of chromosomes, in humans it's 46 I think. Haploids... it's hard to describe... its the name given to a pair of diploids thin so in Humans, 23.

Have you found out the sex chromosomes give to snakes or don't you need to know that?
reptiledanny Posted - 01/07/2010 : 19:50:43
what are diploids and heploids???
hillzi Posted - 01/07/2010 : 19:29:51
Right well animals I'd chose would be;

Corn snake.
Dog (Jack russel as youv'e got one!)
Tortoise (Again! )

Think of some other 2;

I've done GCSE biology, never heard of diploids though..
Sta~ple Posted - 01/07/2010 : 18:45:30
I don't know specificity corns but most snakes have I think 32 -40 diploids, 36 being more common. As for haploids, I asked my b/f and he has no idea and I don't either! I think contacting a herp vet might be a good idea or I think Mike's OH is a vet, she might know.

On an off topic, did you know there are records of some snake's laying fertile eggs without ever being mated? The eggs come out like clones from the mum/dad what ever you would call it. Might be interesting for your thing to mention although I don't think a corn has ever done it :/

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000