biology homework.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

stotty01
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1168 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2010 :  17:43:34  Show Profile  Click to see stotty01's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hey guys science teacher asked us to reserch our 5 fav animals and we need to know how many diploids and haploids are in our animals, my tops one was corn snake as you do does anyone know the answere??? help appreciated :)

my aunties, bestfriends, hairdressers, friends boyfriend had a snake and it stretched out to measure him to eat him......true story.....
1.0.0 tortoise
1.0.0 sinaloan milk snake
1.0.0 jack russel
0.1.0 anery corn medusa
1.0.0 snow corn abomninable
0.1.0 royal python priscilla
http://www.youtube.com/user/stotty01 dads youtube channel

Tail n scales, Linton, Cambs, CB21 4XN, Tel no 01223 893 508 http://www.tails-n-scales.co.uk/

wish list: boa!

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2010 :  18:45:30  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I don't know specificity corns but most snakes have I think 32 -40 diploids, 36 being more common. As for haploids, I asked my b/f and he has no idea and I don't either! I think contacting a herp vet might be a good idea or I think Mike's OH is a vet, she might know.

On an off topic, did you know there are records of some snake's laying fertile eggs without ever being mated? The eggs come out like clones from the mum/dad what ever you would call it. Might be interesting for your thing to mention although I don't think a corn has ever done it :/

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3

Edited by - Sta~ple on 01/07/2010 18:55:17
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2010 :  19:29:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right well animals I'd chose would be;

Corn snake.
Dog (Jack russel as youv'e got one!)
Tortoise (Again! )

Think of some other 2;

I've done GCSE biology, never heard of diploids though..
Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1809 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2010 :  19:50:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what are diploids and heploids???

1.1 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2010 :  20:16:49  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by reptiledanny

what are diploids and heploids???

Diploids are like (if I remember correctly) are a double set of chromosomes, in humans it's 46 I think. Haploids... it's hard to describe... its the name given to a pair of diploids thin so in Humans, 23.

Have you found out the sex chromosomes give to snakes or don't you need to know that?

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2010 :  21:28:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dont know am afraid, Kates not a vet, shes a veterinary haematologist!

Oooh, info for you!
They have 36 chromosomes, in 18 pairs.

Apparently the question you have been asked is far more complicated than than a simple answer.
but again, apparently the answer is (haploid) = n, and (diploid) = 2n.
all sex cells are haploid, and all other cells in the body are diploid, except in plants.

Basically to put it bluntly I would say the question you have been asked is more how many chromosomes are in the haploid and diploid cells in a snake (and 4 other species).
Therefore there are 36 chromosomes in a corn snakes diploid cells and 18 chromosomes in a corn snakes hapolid cells.

Edited by - mikerichards on 01/07/2010 21:56:28
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

286 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2010 :  22:46:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah, what mike said.....

corns
0.1 Maizy, carolina 05
0.1 violet, anery 09
1.0 Smithy, amel 07
0.1 Nessa,amel 07
0.1 Lois normal/hypo motley 02
1.0 Dr Heinz Doofenshmirtz anery 00
1.0 Fry normal 08
0.1 Dora amel aztec 09
1.0 Red bloodred 08
0.0.1 Conker kastanie 10
house bunny
1.0 rex, 09
kittys
2.1 tom,jerry 09 Mittens 10
kids
3.1 Charlie-jane 98, ethan 99,coby 06,adam 07
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2010 :  00:57:29  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

..........On an off topic, did you know there are records of some snake's laying fertile eggs without ever being mated? The eggs come out like clones from the mum/dad what ever you would call it. Might be interesting for your thing to mention although I don't think a corn has ever done it :/

The phrase (from recollection) is parthenogenic, it's rare for it to happen, more so in snakes compared to things like Komodo dragons.
I think we've had a fairly in depth discussion about it in the past, it's interesting stuff.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2010 :  08:34:56  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

..........On an off topic, did you know there are records of some snake's laying fertile eggs without ever being mated? The eggs come out like clones from the mum/dad what ever you would call it. Might be interesting for your thing to mention although I don't think a corn has ever done it :/

The phrase (from recollection) is parthenogenic, it's rare for it to happen, more so in snakes compared to things like Komodo dragons.
I think we've had a fairly in depth discussion about it in the past, it's interesting stuff.

Really? Wow I pictured it to be more common in snakes than in some lizards. That's cool I should have a dig round for it, although I probably won't understand it but its fascinating to know that kind of stuff.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000