The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 What Causes Snakes To Have Unfertilised Eggs?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
CAL Posted - 28/06/2010 : 21:32:18
I've had a bit of confusion over the last two weeks. I've never really known what sex Monty is but have assumed he was male. However, after a recent shed and a total of 6 weeks of not feeding (this has never happened before) I have found some eggs.

As Monty is the only snake I have, the eggs are unfertilised. However, this is the first time it has happened and I've had Monty for 12 years.

What causes this or is it random?

Presumably this has taken a lot of effort so should I be supplementing the food once Monty has decided to eat again.

Thanks,

Craig.
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
matty18714 Posted - 29/06/2010 : 10:34:01
quote:
Originally posted by CAL

I've found 6 so far, 1 two weeks ago and 5 this weekend. They may be some more buried in the substrate. Roughly how many should I expect?

Around 20 really. As Mouse said, they should all have been laid by now, so your going to need to visit a vet if there are any remaining.

At this stage, I wouldnt be worring about not bothering the snake because if she hasnt laid them all by now then she probably wont be able to do it herself. I would take the snake out and see if there are any eggs remaining.

Put your thumb on her spine in the middle of the snake and gentley poke your index finger upwards from underneath pointing through the snake towards your thumb.

Keep your hand in the same possition and slide your hand all the way to the tail. If there are any eggs remaining then you should feel them. Make sure you are very careful not to push too hard.
Sta~ple Posted - 29/06/2010 : 09:39:12
I had this kind of gap before. I housed 2 snakes together for about 7 years, never decided to breed until December :/ I think it's to do with the temperature and light and how much weight the female is carrying.
Mouse Posted - 28/06/2010 : 22:38:55
I would take her to a vet, as there shouldn't have been a gap like that. Just get her checked and make sure they're all out, or you could have issues.
CAL Posted - 28/06/2010 : 22:10:22
The thing I find most puzzling is that its not happened before.
CAL Posted - 28/06/2010 : 22:06:28
I've found 6 so far, 1 two weeks ago and 5 this weekend. They may be some more buried in the substrate. Roughly how many should I expect?
matty18714 Posted - 28/06/2010 : 21:53:46
I cant tell you for sure, but its probably a mixture of them recognising the change in temperature and light cycle, however they are very late eggs.

How many have you found?
If she has any remaining it may be worth adding a box with moss.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000