Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 What Causes Snakes To Have Unfertilised Eggs?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CAL
Hatchling

United Kingdom
146 Posts

Posted - 28/06/2010 :  21:32:18  Show Profile  Visit CAL's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've had a bit of confusion over the last two weeks. I've never really known what sex Monty is but have assumed he was male. However, after a recent shed and a total of 6 weeks of not feeding (this has never happened before) I have found some eggs.

As Monty is the only snake I have, the eggs are unfertilised. However, this is the first time it has happened and I've had Monty for 12 years.

What causes this or is it random?

Presumably this has taken a lot of effort so should I be supplementing the food once Monty has decided to eat again.

Thanks,

Craig.

0.0.1 Cornsnake: Monty, 10 years old, 5ft 3".

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 28/06/2010 :  21:53:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I cant tell you for sure, but its probably a mixture of them recognising the change in temperature and light cycle, however they are very late eggs.

How many have you found?
If she has any remaining it may be worth adding a box with moss.

Go to Top of Page

CAL
Hatchling

United Kingdom
146 Posts

Posted - 28/06/2010 :  22:06:28  Show Profile  Visit CAL's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've found 6 so far, 1 two weeks ago and 5 this weekend. They may be some more buried in the substrate. Roughly how many should I expect?

Go to Top of Page

CAL
Hatchling

United Kingdom
146 Posts

Posted - 28/06/2010 :  22:10:22  Show Profile  Visit CAL's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The thing I find most puzzling is that its not happened before.

Go to Top of Page

Mouse
Yearling

United Kingdom
958 Posts

Posted - 28/06/2010 :  22:38:55  Show Profile  Click to see Mouse's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I would take her to a vet, as there shouldn't have been a gap like that. Just get her checked and make sure they're all out, or you could have issues.

1.0.0 - Gobo - Snow Corn (RIP)
0.1.0 - Sprockett - Normal/hypo/het snow Corn

2.0.0 Anery Hatchlings
0.1.0 Amel Hatchling
0.1.0 Normal Hatchling

*Location - Southampton, UK*

http://www.weneedcake.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2010 :  09:39:12  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I had this kind of gap before. I housed 2 snakes together for about 7 years, never decided to breed until December :/ I think it's to do with the temperature and light and how much weight the female is carrying.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2010 :  10:34:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CAL

I've found 6 so far, 1 two weeks ago and 5 this weekend. They may be some more buried in the substrate. Roughly how many should I expect?

Around 20 really. As Mouse said, they should all have been laid by now, so your going to need to visit a vet if there are any remaining.

At this stage, I wouldnt be worring about not bothering the snake because if she hasnt laid them all by now then she probably wont be able to do it herself. I would take the snake out and see if there are any eggs remaining.

Put your thumb on her spine in the middle of the snake and gentley poke your index finger upwards from underneath pointing through the snake towards your thumb.

Keep your hand in the same possition and slide your hand all the way to the tail. If there are any eggs remaining then you should feel them. Make sure you are very careful not to push too hard.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000