My Other Ladies
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Matt_Brooks
Hatchling

138 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  16:06:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well they're not exacly reptiles but thought id show you lot one of my other "pets". They're my 5 little ladies and give us lovely fresh eggs every day.

They're my 5 warren hens! And yes i can count just of of them buggerd off as i was taking the photo and went inside the coop! They're all ex-battery hens so they've all been rescued and given a second chance and are living the life that they should of lived when they were first born, not couped up in cages. They look wonderful now though when we first got them they had no feathers what-so-ever. Oh what a difference a day makes!

We also have a Labrador aswell who is 6 months old now and a little pain but dont have no piccys of her so will post some later.

0.1.0 Carolina Corn

Figs
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3319 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  16:13:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i love chickens

they look so happy!
its good to know they are getting a much better life now

do they have names?
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Brooks
Hatchling

138 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  16:35:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep there's Henrietta, Henny-Penny, Princess, Peaches and Lola

0.1.0 Carolina Corn
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  17:21:59  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
We had chickens when I lived at home as a child. Nothing quite like a fresh egg.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

crazy JJ
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2326 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2010 :  03:11:44  Show Profile  Click to see crazy JJ's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
n'awww they look quite cute.. and looks quite cheeky lol but glad to know ya rescued them... i have to say i would love to have a few chickens and ducks but the cat wont let me lol...
nice names aswell lol :D

2.5 corns 2.0 cali kings 1.0 tange hondo milk 1.0 apricot pueblan milk 1.0 royal (overgrown slug) 0.1 tarantula 1.0 chinchilla chico, 0.1 goldfish tigger 0.0.4 minows 0.2 cats fudge and porsha and 0.3.2 tarantula’s that are my mummys
r.i.p to the lil ones that i and mummy have lost recently
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2010 :  11:26:31  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Awww they are goreous :) We recently adopted 2 ex-battery chickens so now we have 4, they have such a lovely characters don't they chickens? It's nice to see you have given them a second home. Although if you got them for egg laying, don't expect them to be regural or make perefect eggies :/

Have you given them a whole tomoatoe yet? And who's boss chicken?

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2010 :  13:46:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
battery hens are so sweet - mine when they came to us were skinny as anything and refused to go inside the coop when it rained (they would just stand there getting wet), now though they run around after whoever is feeding them pecking at their ankles! we get eggs daily from ours - although we didnt get them specifically to get eggs - we just missed having more than 1
nice pic

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

Matt_Brooks
Hatchling

138 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2010 :  19:29:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Weve had them for nearly a year now and they havent let us down once. 1 egg nearly everyday bless them. We have had a few mishaped ones and a few bads ones from time to time but northing major.

There was a dominent hen at one point who ruled the roost now they all just seem to get on fine.

Hannah ours were the same. The first 2 we got (Henrietta and Henny-Penny) were all featherd up. Second 2 (Peaches and Princess) only had tail feathers missing and the third 3 (Lola, Lady and Lacey) were in a right state! They had only been out the battery farm 48 hours and just didnt know what to do. We put them in a seperate coop and for a couple of days just stood there and didnt move. I had to tuck them away into bed every night untill they realised they were able to walk. It was astonishing as these chickens had never seen grass, flowers, bugs etc and just didnt have a clue what to do. Unfortunatly Lacey and Lady died after about a week and i dont think they really aclimatised to their new found freedom. Though the others are living on and loving the freedom they always deserved!

0.1.0 Carolina Corn
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000