place of heat mat
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

111 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  15:19:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
new wooden viv is on way ,but do i put heat mat in the viv or outside underneath? also the new viv is 3 ft long so how big does my heat mat need to be? if i do need to put it in side do i need to fix it down? as i am a bit worried about the snake digging it up and going underneath it.

winston

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  15:24:22  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Inside the viv, statted.

17x11 would be a good size. How wide is the viv?

You can fix it down with aquarium seal around the bare lamiated edges, ytou could use lino or just not seal it and weigh it down with a hide.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

111 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  15:30:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
cheers, the viv is 15inchs wide,

winston

Edited by - n/a on 05/06/2010 15:33:02
Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  18:53:51  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I got the same size viv and am using an 11x11" heatmat which works well. You should aim to cover at least one third to a half of the floorspace inside the viv. You will need to control the heatmat with a thermostat the probe of which should be laying flat in direct contact with the surface of the mat to ensure the mat does not get too hot. I would also recommend the use of a digital thermometer the probe of which can be attached to the probe of the thermostat using rubber bands (do not use tape as it is dangerous to snakes). As said you can seal the mat to the floor of the viv using sealant or stick a vinyl tile over the heatmat and seal that down although the main danger to the snake is if it gets trapped under the mat so if you do seal it down be sure to make sure there is no gaps the snake get get through and therefore get trapped under the mat. Personally I just weigh mine down with a heavy hide so that if the snake does burrow under it can get out easily.
Hope that helps

Cheers
Steve

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Edited by - elament on 05/06/2010 18:59:31
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly