Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

AngelX
Hatchling

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2010 :  15:51:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone,
You have all been very helpful on all my other topics and I was wondering if I could get some advice on Lighting.
I have just bought a viv and have it at home. It has a UV light fitting with no light bulb. Just wanted to know whether or not it is alright to put a normal light bulb in or does it have to be UV? In my other one it has a UV strip light so I don't know whether or not a normal light bulb would be okay.
Any help would be appreciated!

AngelX
Hatchling

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2010 :  16:53:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Would really need some help!

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2010 :  17:12:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
for a corn you dont necessarily need a light - out in the wild they get their heat from the ground through their bellys..you can use a light but personally id suggest sticking with a heat mat

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

286 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2010 :  17:23:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the lights just so we can see them mostly, the corn is happy if its dim in the viv. have you thougt about a led it doesn't give off enough heat to burn snakey but bright enough to get a better look at it

corns
0.1 Maizy, carolina 05
0.1 violet, anery 09
1.0 Smithy, amel 07
0.1 Nessa,amel 07
0.1 Lois normal/hypo motley 02
1.0 Dr Heinz Doofenshmirtz anery 00
1.0 Fry normal 08
0.1 Dora amel aztec 09
1.0 Red bloodred 08
0.0.1 Conker kastanie 10
house bunny
1.0 rex, 09
kittys
2.1 tom,jerry 09 Mittens 10
kids
3.1 Charlie-jane 98, ethan 99,coby 06,adam 07
Go to Top of Page

AngelX
Hatchling

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2010 :  19:23:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, you're right, I do have a heat mat but I like to see my snakes! So I'll look out for a led light bulb! Thanks! x

Go to Top of Page

AngelX
Hatchling

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2010 :  19:41:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also, what wattage would be best? Because I might be able to find a normal light bulb with a high wattage to save money. I'm very cheap you see! HAHA! Not sure if that would be quite as affective?

Go to Top of Page

Mouse
Yearling

United Kingdom
958 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2010 :  20:28:43  Show Profile  Click to see Mouse's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
the heat would be the issue. Snakes don't pay any attention if they're 'cooking', there have been issues with snakes wrapping round lights and killing themselves.

LED's are cool (as in heatwise) and last longer!!!! you can get small ones like 3 lights in a plastic casing, that is push activated for a few quid in B&Q. Battery operated.

1.0.0 - Gobo - Snow Corn (RIP)
0.1.0 - Sprockett - Normal/hypo/het snow Corn

2.0.0 Anery Hatchlings
0.1.0 Amel Hatchling
0.1.0 Normal Hatchling

*Location - Southampton, UK*

http://www.weneedcake.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

AngelX
Hatchling

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2010 :  21:03:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ohh right, certainly don't want that! Thank You! Have heard something like that with heat rock, but didn't realise that it was lights aswell!

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2010 :  21:08:41  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yep they can burn themselves on bulbs as well. I use energy savers but I only have them on when I am on a poo hunt and they are covered with bulb guards

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2010 :  22:36:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ah thought you meant for heating, my bad!
my royals have those LED lights that Mouse mentioned and they are great but iv noticed that they loose their sticky backing very quickly and fall down..

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  04:06:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dont use the stick on bulbs but just have low wattage LED bulbs in my vivs (with guards). They are on timers to replicate the day/night cycle....but they are totally for my benefit and not for the snakes. My concern with a strip light would be how it is guarded....is there a guard that stretches along the length of the strip?

When I first got Kellog his viv was heated by a normal bulb and it heated the ambient temperature a lot (but not the substrate, which is why I changed to the heatmat). To have light in the viv you just need to be sure that it is the lowest wattage possible and that it is guarded. Not only can a snake burn itself but it can also crush the bulb without realising it, meaning there is the danger of glass in the viv and damaging your snake.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  10:09:23  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

Not only can a snake burn itself but it can also crush the bulb without realising it, meaning there is the danger of glass in the viv and damaging your snake.

xxx

Thats a good point judith I never thought of that and those energy savers are easy to break I have broken a few meself getting them in and out of the holders

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Edited by - elament on 05/06/2010 10:09:57
Go to Top of Page

AngelX
Hatchling

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  14:40:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right, My strip light is on for six hours a day and Moo doesn't pay any attention to it really, I think it makes the viv look cooler tbh! LoL, Will unscrew the light fitting that is attached to the ceiling as it seems a lot less hassle and I will probably just use a torch of some sort to look for poo e.t.c Thanks everyone xx

Go to Top of Page

AngelX
Hatchling

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  15:50:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My strip light has been on for a good 3/4 hours and is not even hot, just warm, so I guess that must be LED or something like that. xx

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  15:58:44  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'm putting some LED stick on's in my vivs from ASDA. I don't think the backing will be unsticky unless I need to change the battries so need to peel the light off but then you just take it off and replace with sticky fixers.

Some of those lightstrips don't get hot. Although you will have to put you whole hand around the light for a whle to make sure.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Fal
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2010 :  23:17:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd been thinking about lighting for when Bella moves into a Viv, just for our benefit as mentioned above, not for heating, and I think the LED idea is great!!!

Corn Snake - Bella. Bearded Dragon - Draco. Leopard Gecko - Mojo. Cat - Neo. In our family we also have: Cali King Snake, Spiny Flower Mantis (RIP), African Lined Mantis (RIP), Ghost Mantis (RIP), four Hermit Crabs, a Budgy and a Dog - Mystie... oh and a YAMAHA YZF-R1 but she's feeling a bit neglected at the moment :(
Go to Top of Page

mrsT
Hatchling

United Kingdom
186 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2010 :  08:32:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ooh love the sticky LED idea!jakes getting quite active at night now so would be good to have a little bit of light in there so we can see him a bit better.

1 carolina corn - Jake

1 hypo lavender - Kane
1 xb dog - Zak

Go to Top of Page

Fal
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2010 :  22:33:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Went running in to my Fiancee crowing over the great idea of stick on LED from this thread. BIG mistake lol she had (now I remember - curse my memory) suggested the very same a while ago and I had poo poo'd it lol DOH! I am now eating humble pie hehe..

Corn Snake - Bella. Bearded Dragon - Draco. Leopard Gecko - Mojo. Cat - Neo. In our family we also have: Cali King Snake, Spiny Flower Mantis (RIP), African Lined Mantis (RIP), Ghost Mantis (RIP), four Hermit Crabs, a Budgy and a Dog - Mystie... oh and a YAMAHA YZF-R1 but she's feeling a bit neglected at the moment :(
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2010 :  03:46:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fal

Went running in to my Fiancee crowing over the great idea of stick on LED from this thread. BIG mistake lol she had (now I remember - curse my memory) suggested the very same a while ago and I had poo poo'd it lol DOH! I am now eating humble pie hehe..

Oh Jonathan, poor you ....I can just imagine how she is not going to allow you to forget this one !!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Fal
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2010 :  22:09:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Already has :) I just started harping on about wanting a frilled lizard, now she is determined I'm not getting 'any more pets, this house will turn into a zoo, we have to great pets already with the snake and cat and that's final,' so the LED is forgotton... until we get the new viv and need one anyway lol

I can't complain, she's agreed to us having a pig, three chickens and two ducks when we move to a house with a bigger garden lol :D

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2010 :  03:08:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fal

Already has :) I just started harping on about wanting a frilled lizard........

You certainly know how to handle your OH ....just distract her with something else, like you wanting a frilled lizard, and she forgets that she was the one who first suggested the LEDs!! Well played !

xxx

By the way, is it Jonathan, or Jon, or Fal or something else that you prefer to be called?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000